INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD drives and sound improvement  (Read 2301 times)

NeilEmm

SSD drives and sound improvement
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:58:13 am »

Just started using JRiver on a Mac Mini. Love it and very impressed. Ive got a decent system off board DAC etc. Im looking at putting the music library onto an SSD drive. Lots of people have mentioned this is a vast improvement to an external HDD which Im currently using. Im also told its best to run JRiver from a different drive. I was wondering if I should run JRiver from a 32GB usb flash drive and the music library from a 256GB SSD via a thunderbolt cable. Does anyone have experience of this and is it worth doing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SSD drives and sound improvement
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:06 am »

You don't need to do anything special with drives.  Internal drives are more trouble free than external drives, but both should work.

Just install MC to the default drive.

NeilEmm

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »

Im a bit confused. I'm told that moving FLAC music files to an external SSD drive with fast thunderbolt connection into a mac mini WILL improve sound performance significantly. Then a number of people say there will be no improvement what so ever and its all hype. Before I shell out a few hundred bucks does anyone have an opinion. Im sliding towards there is an improvement but nice to have other peoples thoughts

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »

There will be no improvement, save for placebo.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:23 pm »

Im a bit confused. Im told that moving FLAC music files to an external SSD drive with fast thunderbolt connection into a mac mini WILL improve sound performance significantly.
Sorry, but that's a silly idea.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »

SSD drives are quiet.  That could be enough of a reason to choose all SSD drives for a computer that is going to be in the audio room or in the audio rack.  As long as the rest of the computer is equally quiet and you're OK with the added expense of SSD for bulk storage space of music files.  SSD gets very expensive when you need a couple TB of storage.

The SSD drives being quiet would be the only sound improvement I would expect from SSD.

FelixM

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:10:42 pm »

SSD`s are faster than HDD`s.

Playing audio (even playing video) don`t need such bandwidth, so you will not have any improvement in audio quality.
The only reason for use SSD`s in an audio system is: SSD`s are absolutely silent, 0dB noise, unlike the mechanical noise from HDD`s.
But you probably will hear more the computer fans, so save your money.

MC22, Win7, Intel 4570T, Intel HD4600, Asus H87i-Plus, 2x4GB, SSD Samsung 840Evo 1TB, PicoPSU, Fanless Streacom FC5 Evo, Denon AVR-2106, Infinity Beta 40 & C360, Panasonic TX-L39E6, Logitech Harmony 555 & IR Flirc
Pages: [1]   Go Up