INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding Dynamic Range Values  (Read 7002 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Understanding Dynamic Range Values
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:45 am »

I have used the Analyze Audio function on all my files. I'm trying to better understand the value of the numbers given a little better. With the Dynamic Range (DR) the results are whole digits such as 13, 9, and 8 etc. the next set of values Dynamic Range (R128) the values include decimal place followed by "LU" such as 7.8 LU, 5.9LU and 13.9 LU.

In most cases the if one (DR) value is higher than another the corresponding (128) value will also be higher than the other, but not always and that is what I don't understand as to why and what it means. In the example values given above the corresponding values for the files are:

(DR) 13 and (128) 7.8LU
(DR) 9 and (128) 5.9LU

And this is typically the pattern that is seen but in a number of cases I will see something like this:

(DR) 8 and (128) 13.0LU where the (128) value is higher then the (DR) value

Can someone explain or point me to an explanation of these values and why in some cases the (128) value is higher than the (DR) value but not in most cases?

Thanks
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Understanding Dynamic Range Values
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:01:41 am »

Dynamic Range (R128) is a statistically weighted measurement of dynamic range, which describes the difference in volume between the loudest and quietest parts of a track.
This is measured in Loudness Units (LU) which are equal to decibels.

Dynamic Range (DR) is actually not a measurement of dynamic range at all - it is a measurement of the peak-to-loudness ratio, as popularized by the "TT-DR" tool.

Dynamic Range DR's measurement compares the difference between the peaks and the average loudness of a track, which is usually a better indicator of how "dynamic" sounding or "compressed" a track is.
Generally higher values here indicate a track with better mastering if you are comparing two versions of the same album for example.

However, there are some limitations of the tool. These measurements are not valid when measuring vinyl recordings (DR values are always reported higher than the CD) and while higher is generally better, it doesn't always correlate to mastering quality.

As long as both values are high (above 10) it's possible that a track with a slightly lower (1-2) DR value will sound better to you.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:57:04 pm »

Dynamic Range (R128) is a statistically weighted measurement of dynamic range, which describes the difference in volume between the loudest and quietest parts of a track.
This is measured in Loudness Units (LU) which are equal to decibels.

Dynamic Range (DR) is actually not a measurement of dynamic range at all - it is a measurement of the peak-to-loudness ratio, as popularized by the "TT-DR" tool.

Dynamic Range DR's measurement compares the difference between the peaks and the average loudness of a track, which is usually a better indicator of how "dynamic" sounding or "compressed" a track is.
Generally higher values here indicate a track with better mastering if you are comparing two versions of the same album for example.

However, there are some limitations of the tool. These measurements are not valid when measuring vinyl recordings (DR values are always reported higher than the CD) and while higher is generally better, it doesn't always correlate to mastering quality.

As long as both values are high (above 10) it's possible that a track with a slightly lower (1-2) DR value will sound better to you.

Thank you very much for the reply and detailed explanation. I'm still a little confused though when most seem to have a DR value higher in comparison to another track the corresponding 128 value seems to also be higher but in the one example I gave and in others I have noticed the DR value is lower than other files but the 128 value is higher. This is just pure curiosity on my part. I primarily use this information to compare masterings of the same song or album and generally not for any decisions on the quality of sound though typically those that are very compressed (low DR and 128 values) are harsh to the ears. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:09:58 am »

Check out this thread for a longer explanation (the thread generally, but the linked post in particular): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84489.msg577389#msg577389

Long story short, as 6233638 noted, the two measurements are measuring different things so depending on the characteristics of the songs you're analyzing they can move in different directions.  DR is measuring the difference between the average level and the peak level of the track, R128 is measuring the difference between the 95th percentile for loudness and the 10th percentile for loudness.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:44 pm »

Check out this thread for a longer explanation (the thread generally, but the linked post in particular): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84489.msg577389#msg577389

Long story short, as 6233638 noted, the two measurements are measuring different things so depending on the characteristics of the songs you're analyzing they can move in different directions.  DR is measuring the difference between the average level and the peak level of the track, R128 is measuring the difference between the 95th percentile for loudness and the 10th percentile for loudness.

Thanks again. I read through the other thread and I'm comfortable with my understanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up