INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 18 suddenly can't find files on external hard drive  (Read 5345 times)

knownothing

Hello, Media Center has been working flawlessly on my Dell Latitude laptop and Western Digital 1TB external hard drive running windows 7 for over a year.  Suddenly it does not.  Here is the Playback Problem Notice I am getting when I try to play files from my external HD:
"Something went wrong with playback. Details: The file could not be found.  Check that the filename in the library matches filename on disk."  I checked the filenames and location information and as far as I can tell, they are all the same.  I just downloaded and installed iTunes version 11.2.2.3, and it can find files on my E: drive, while Media Center now cannot.  I don't know if the timing of this is a coincidence or cause and effect.  For what it is worth, Media Center can still find and play all my music files on the C: drive of my laptop.  HELP.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 18 suddenly can't find files on external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:20:57 am »

Did this happen before or after you installed iTunes?  If it was after, it definitely sounds like it could have been caused by that.  Perhaps try uninstalling iTunes, and restarting.  See if the problem persists.

EDIT: Also, you could try this:
Fix broken links automatically.
Go to Tools > Import Media. Select the folders you want to ‘synchronize’ with your database (you would normally always have the same folders checked here: My Music, My Documents, My Pictures, etc). Select the Advanced button, and check “Fix or remove broken links” (include network drives if you want). If you have moved files from one of these folders to another, the link will be updated. If you have moved the file outside any of the checked folders, then the link will be removed from the database, and you will have to re-import the file.
Also check “Update library for external file changes”. This will automatically re-read the files’ tags if Media Center detects that they were modified since last analyzed.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Move,_Copy,_or_Delete_Files_from_Explorer
Adam Thompson, JRiver

knownothing

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:58:06 am »

Did this happen before or after you installed iTunes?  If it was after, it definitely sounds like it could have been caused by that.  Perhaps try uninstalling iTunes, and restarting.  See if the problem persists.

EDIT: Also, you could try this:

iTunes was already installed and both were working fine together previously - I just updated iTunes.  I could uninstall it, but concerned about media in iTunes folder on c: drive.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:49:34 am »

Did you get a chance to try the suggestions in the link I sent under the "Fix broken links automatically" heading?

Adam Thompson, JRiver

knownothing

Re: Media Center 18 can't find files on external drive [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:25 am »

Did you get a chance to try the suggestions in the link I sent under the "Fix broken links automatically" heading?

This worked, thanks.  FYI - somewhat embarrassed as for some reason my E: drive was renamed "D:" drive.  There are a number of reasons why this might have happened related to computer maintenance - none of them to do with iTunes or Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up