INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC + HDHomeRun = a lot of errors and missed recordings  (Read 3436 times)

Grenache

• World Citizen
MC + HDHomeRun = a lot of errors and missed recordings
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:39 am »

I have a lot of problems with MC and my HDHomeRun Expand (the four tuners European equivalent of the Prime). It can work for half a day, but then I suddenly get "Recording Time Out" and "Failed to start recording…" on some or all of the tuners, which means that I'm missing a lot of my scheduled recordings. After some time, the tuners usually return to normal idle state and are able to record again, but sometimes I get "State: Error" and the only solution is to restart the HDHomeRun.

I get the exact same scenario in both MC 21.0.90 and 22.0.28. This could, of course, be non-related to MC, but if I shut down MC completely the HDHomeRun runs without any errors at all. I have no firewall issues or problems with low television signal strength or unreliable Wifi, and my old tuner (a Hauppauge single tuner card) worked just fine. I've tried all the different settings in the HDHomeRun Setup, including for the BDA Driver (Auto, TVCT, CVCT etc.), and now I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC + HDHomeRun = a lot of errors and missed recordings
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:02:44 am »

HDHomeRun tuners are usually very reliable.  Most problems we see are related to setup, particularly firewall. 

We don't see many that are the European models.

If restarting the HDHomeRun solves it, it seems unlikely that it is an MC problem.

I realize this isn't very helpful, but it's all I can offer.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »

I have the exact same tuner, also European (Denmark). I have had it for a couple of weeks now and it has been rock solid.

If it helps I can do some recording test this upcoming weekend. Just let me know what a typical recording pattern for you would be.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »

I'm not completely sure yet, but I might have found out what's causing the problem. I'm in Copenhagen, using yousee as a provider, and the last couple of months we've had a lot of problems with DR1 pixelating and to a lesser extent DR2 and DR3 (something that yousee has recognized but failed to do something about). When I look at my TV log it seems to be mostly these channels causing problems for the HDHomeRun, so maybe it has something to do with the signal being bad. I have to run some more tests to be sure. However, sometimes the tuner has been able to record from these channels, even if the video is all scrambled and pixelated with stuttering sound, so I don't know... What's you're setting for the BDA Driver? Have you installed the beta version of the HDHomeRun Setup program?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:17 pm »

I am at the outskirts of Copenhagen, but not seeing any problem with those channels. I have the full pack from Yousee, but it is provided through Da :'(nsk Kabel TV, so that maybe why.

The BDA is set to auto. There was a firmware update installed to the device the first time I hooked it up, but I am still using the HDHomerun software from 2015 and not the beta software.

Is there anyway you can roll back from the beta software or did it also contain firmware?

I use the tuner across the whole household without problems, from my HTPC running MC to my Apple TV and iPad running channels.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:02:40 pm »

Is there anyway you can roll back from the beta software or did it also contain firmware?

I don't know if you can roll back. I just took the chance because I was getting a little frustrated. I'm pretty sure the beta software also contains a firmware update, because I'm not getting the lock-ups I did with the 2015-version. Before the upgrade, the HDHomeRun wouldn't release the tuners that got caught in the "error state", so I eventually had to reboot by pulling the plug. Now, it still struggles but at least the tuners are released and (sometimes) able to record later programs.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »

I will be back home in a couple of days to check my firmware version and post it here. It would be good if you could rule that out as part of the problem.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:21:23 am »

In case you are still having problems, here is some data from my tuner. It is all collected from the HDHomeRun webpage:

Firmware: 20160630atest2

While playing DR1:

Signal strength : 100%
Signal Quality: 100%
Symbol Quality: 100%
Pages: [1]   Go Up