INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Main Music Share to larger drive: Anything to watch out for?  (Read 1108 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

I am starting to bump up against the limit of my 2TB music drive on our Windows Server so I will be switching this 2TB out for a new 4TB - and wanted to know how best to handle the "movement" of the music files from the old drive to new without trashing file dates and so on.

I will be moving the guts of the old case to a more spacious new case with more drive spaces. When the server OS is back up - I plan to "move" the contents of the current "music" drive over the new "music" drive using typical Windows tools (Explorer, XCopy etc). Once the contents are on the new drive - I plan to drop the Music share using the Windows Server Share and Storage Management snap-in on the old 2TB drive and recreate the share with the same name (Music) on the new drive.

Since all our MC clients connect using the same (\\SERVER\Music\) UNC conventions (no mapped drives) - theoretically - the should all come up and act like nothing has happened. However - before I do this - some questions:

1. Of utmost importance is - Date Imported - which I use to sort on via my main Recently imported view. If I move the physical files behind the scene like outlined above - is this date messed with? I assume it's stored in the MC library - but thought I would ask...
2. Same as above but with the Windows "modified date". When I move all the files from one drive to another - the Modified date should remain untouched. But if it doesn't - any impact from MC? Will it suddenly decide to re-add all my files when I do a manual auto-import or any other oddities?
3. Anything else I may have missed?
4. Anyone else do this but have a better plan?

Mods: I wasn't sure if this thread show go in here or in the Media Network area - but feel free to move if necessary.

As usual - thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!

Cheers,

VP

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Moving Main Music Share to larger drive: Anything to watch out for?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:19 pm »

You could move all the files from within MC using Rename, Move & Copy files. That way you know all the metadata will be intact, and that MC will keep track of what is where.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:57:07 pm »

You could move all the files from within MC using Rename, Move & Copy files. That way you know all the metadata will be intact, and that MC will keep track of what is where.

Was thinking of that - but since we do not use mapped drive letters - I need the new (4TB) drive (Share) to appear as \\SERVER\Music.

I can't have the old one (2TB) remain online as \\SERVER\Music at the same time.

VP

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

It can still be done with the Rename, Move & Copy utility, but with some extra albeit quick steps. You could, for example:

Map the new drive
Copy the contents to it in MC
Remove the old drive
"Update" the contents of the new drive to the UNC path using the Rename, Move & Copy utility
(This results in all your files temporarily not being found).
Unmap the new drive and go back to using the UNC path.

All should work out at that point.

The method yo suggested might also be ok - I am not familiar enough with the process to critique it confidently.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

It can still be done with the Rename, Move & Copy utility, but with some extra albeit quick steps. You could, for example:

Map the new drive
Copy the contents to it in MC
Remove the old drive
"Update" the contents of the new drive to the UNC path using the Rename, Move & Copy utility
(This results in all your files temporarily not being found).
Unmap the new drive and go back to using the UNC path.

All should work out at that point.

The method yo suggested might also be ok - I am not familiar enough with the process to critique it confidently.

Thanks! I think my method should be ok - I am just concerned about the dates that I mentioned.

I may try a test with a very tiny group of files to gauge impact.

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up