INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loki not being recognized.  (Read 2648 times)

neolith

• Recent member
Loki not being recognized.
« on: June 06, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »

Just received a Schiit Loki. I am running Ubuntu 14.04. I was able to select the Loki as the output device on the ccomputer (Digital Output s/pdif) and I set the output format to DSD in DoP.  FWIW, I also tried setting the sound ouput device to Speakers (Schiit Audio DSD Device). However the Audio Device setting in MC19 only shows ALSA so I cannot setup WASAPI. I am using a trial version and also downloaded a Window 7 format and everything works there but I don't want to use Windows. Any ideas?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Loki not being recognized.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »

Just received a Schiit Loki. I am running Ubuntu 14.04. I was able to select the Loki as the output device on the ccomputer (Digital Output s/pdif) and I set the output format to DSD in DoP.  FWIW, I also tried setting the sound ouput device to Speakers (Schiit Audio DSD Device). However the Audio Device setting in MC19 only shows ALSA so I cannot setup WASAPI. I am using a trial version and also downloaded a Window 7 format and everything works there but I don't want to use Windows. Any ideas?
WASAPI is a Windows specific interface.
ALSA is what you want. Check Device Settings under the ALSA box to find your device.

neolith

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »

Well, I originally thought I wanted ALSA but when I look under devices (which BTW sometimes kicks me out and shuts the app down) I could not find anything that would seem to work.  I did set it to default but I get no sound. That's when I thought I needed to use WASAPI (should have guessed the "W" was Windows). What device should I be using?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:32 pm »

Well, I originally thought I wanted ALSA but when I look under devices (which BTW sometimes kicks me out and shuts the app down) I could not find anything that would seem to work.  I did set it to default but I get no sound. That's when I thought I needed to use WASAPI (should have guessed the "W" was Windows). What device should I be using?
Make sure that the user you are logging is a member of the "audio" group or you won't be able to see the ALSA devices. The list can be long.
If you aren't in the audio group, after you add yourself you'll have to log out and back in again for it to take effect.

You can also do this from a linux prompt

aplay -L

It will list the available sound devices on the system. If your device shows up in the list you should also be able to see it in MC. If it doesn't you will need to get a driver from the manufacturer.

neolith

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »

Sorry, still cannot get the Loki working right. I ran aplay -L and saw several entries for the device and these also show up in MC19. I figured sysdefault: CARD=device would work but I get an error message saying ALSA cannot deal with the format. When I chose HW or plugin HW, the file began playing but no sound came out and no DSD was detected by the Loki.
On another note, which may be related, I tried to make MC19 the default app but the program does not show up in the list of available applications. Also several times when I selected Device Settings under ALSA the program kicks me out and shuts down completely.
I got MC19 to work with another sound card but then I don't have DSP which is the reason I want to use MC19. I think the problem is with DoP as I see some other posts about problems running DoP.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:28 am »

Generally the best devices to use for direct device control are the
front:
devices.
When you are in the ALSA configuration section of MC it has to try to open the Mixer device to get it's parameters.
It might be that causing the crash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up