INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Playback problems in Theater View  (Read 6154 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
TV Playback problems in Theater View
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:29:11 pm »

Since version .128 on HTPC (client) in theaterview. if we watch guide (which we do every night for the news) after watching the news, and then moving else where in theaterview (to watch movies, or recorded shows) the following day, when we want to watch guide again...JRiver always pops up an error stating something went wrong with playback. i then hit ESC, yes, exit theaterview, then i right click taskbar, chose task manager, and i end task media center.exe. after ending jriver, then reopening, it auto loads theaterview, and then i move to guide, and it instantly works... it seems once you leave guide, and time passes, that guide no longer works until jriver is restarted. (jriver never locks up it just states something went wrong with playback.) i've tried all guide channels..same error, only fix is a restart of jriver.

HTPC4ME

Re: TV Playback problems in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:24:26 pm »

anyone else experiencing the tuner card client guide issue?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »

still having problems with client and using tv tuner thats on server, every day at 5pm when we goto theater client (theaterview) and goto guide, and try to play a channel, we always get the "something went wrong with playback." we then have to goto task manager, show process from all users, and kill both jriver services, once killed when we reopen jriver theaterview, guide works, and when we select a channel it works.

it's only the guide where we get the error "something went wrong with playback" all other media plays fine, including online media.

any ideas what may be going on? This has been happening since version .28 (Everyday we have to force kill, and restart)

Thanks

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »

Thank You Jim

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:29 pm »

Here's a photo from tonight...as stated above, every day when turning on the 5-6 oclock news, we get this error, must force kill\endtask, then once JRiver restarted tuner works again on client. (every night after the news we go elsewhere in theaterview and everything plays fine, it's just the following day we get the error when going back to guide and choosing a channel)

Thanks

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 05:24:46 pm »

Try posting this in the TV section.  Yaobing is pretty responsive to DVR issues.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:29 pm »

I have read this thread.  I have not said anything because I do not know what to say at this point.  We will definitely look into this.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:57 am »

You could work around this issue by scheduling a reboot every night.  There are some caveats though -
It masks and doesn't fix the core problem.
If you're running a recording (or watching) at the time of the reboot it would be interrupted.
If you're running a client/server setup you may have to reboot both.
It may introduce some other problem.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:19 am »

Thanks for replies guys,
Biazarroterl, good suggestions, i have tried rebooting just the server to see if client would work, the only thing that seems to get the client tuner working again, is a end task of the client itself.

is there anything maybe i can do, to help you elaborate what "something" is? would a refresh of the logs before trying guide sent from the client help?

also just an fyi on the messaging system... this is the first reply i've gotten in my email 10:04 am today. 
Thanks

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:56 am »

just a friendly note on latest version .149 still having to kill and reboot client daily.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »

Do you always leave MC in Theater view each night?

Do you have to wait until the next day to see the problem?  Does server machine go to sleep?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 04:35:25 pm »

server on 24\7
HTPC on and in Theaterview 24\7

well Yaobing. no clue whats changed i just went to test (last file played was a media file from library\not guide last night, and i chose guide chose kare1 HD) and it's working as it should!? maybe something has changed in .149?
i posted earlier about a gizmo issue today and i was also on.149, and then i rebooted server and client and gizmo started working.. so maybe you guys fixed the guide\tv issue without knowing it in .149, and upon me rebooting server and htpc that fixed it?

I'll keep you posted... (will be away for the 4th, but will run tests next week when we get back in town)
hoping it's fixed for good, it's been quite a daily tedious task having to kill and restart htpc.
Thanks for followup!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:05 am »

Is networking always on on both computers?  The client will block for a long time trying to communicate with the server if there is a network problem.

Next time when it happens, please forward me a log.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:23 am »

ok yaobing, it happened again last night... girlfriend sat down turned on tv, went to guide (at around 4:30-5:00pm July 9th) and when she went to guide to watch last few minutes of jeopardy before news started (Kare11 HD) something went wrong with playback popped up, and she had to exit jriver (open task manager, chose show all process, and kill both process of jriver) once killed and jriver restarted, then guide worked for her flawlessly.

where would you like the log sent to? (the log is 13.1mb is this a suitable size for your\jrivers mailbox?)
Thanks Again

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:55 pm »

ok yaobing, it happened again last night... girlfriend sat down turned on tv, went to guide (at around 4:30-5:00pm July 9th) and when she went to guide to watch last few minutes of jeopardy before news started (Kare11 HD) something went wrong with playback popped up, and she had to exit jriver (open task manager, chose show all process, and kill both process of jriver) once killed and jriver restarted, then guide worked for her flawlessly.

where would you like the log sent to? (the log is 13.1mb is this a suitable size for your\JRiver mailbox?)
Thanks Again

yaobing at jriver dot com
Not sure if the size is too big.  Let's try it first.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »

looks like it went through... no mailer daemon, and no returns due to size after a second send\receive.
Thanks Yaobing

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:48 am »

looks like it went through... no mailer daemon, and no returns due to size after a second send\receive.
Thanks Yaobing

Got it.  Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »

I did find some weirdness in the log file last week.  However I can not tell what's causing it.  Please try again when a new version is out.  Hopefully the additional logging that I added would help me at little more.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »

will do yaobing,
thanks

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:32:50 pm »

just updated server and HTPC client to .152. tonights will work due to restart from update. Will watch guide this evening, and then switch to other media file types, and post back here tomm around 5pm to let you know what happens.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »

sorry been out of town, just got back in town late last night, watched only movies, today when turning on tv, and going to guide...something went wrong with playback, and had to force kill (on most recent version .162)
send new log?
Thanks Yaobing

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

sorry been out of town, just got back in town late last night, watched only movies, today when turning on tv, and going to guide...something went wrong with playback, and had to force kill (on most recent version .162)
send new log?
Thanks Yaobing

Yes, please send the log.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »

will send in next 15. FYI it happened at around 525pm - 6:00pm last night the 12th when trying to watch Brian Williams on KARE.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »

sent
Thanks again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 04:40:15 pm »

The log files you sent were for the most recent MC session that started 1:23 PM today.  They are not from last night.  Please resend if you can still find the files from last night.  Otherwise please send the logs as soon as the problem occurs again.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 04:50:07 pm »

updated to 163, and just turned on kare 11 and it worked instantly...no problems,
so will send tomm when\if it breaks itself.
thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »

I see the same unknown exception happened as in previous logs.  The added logging narrowed it a bit but I am still not sure what caused the problem :(

There is one thing I also noticed.  It appears that you do not press Stop button when you switch from watching a TV show to other places in Theater view.  So the server kept running on the same channel for a long time.  However, the second time you went to watch the same channel, it was around 3.4 hours later, not a whole lot of time, so I should not expect having problems, unless your server ran out of disk space.

Bizarroterl

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:15 pm »

Sorry to drag this slightly off topic, but what does MC do when recording and disk space runs very low or out?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »

When disk space is too low, MC will stop recording/time-shifting and, if the user is watching, also show a message on the screen.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »

There is one thing I also noticed.  It appears that you do not press Stop button when you switch from watching a TV show to other places in Theater view.  So the server kept running on the same channel for a long time.  However, the second time you went to watch the same channel, it was around 3.4 hours later, not a whole lot of time, so I should not expect having problems, unless your server ran out of disk space.

There does not seem to be a correlation.  Your log file from a few weeks ago did not have this condition.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:36 pm »

should i just keep sending logs daily?
perhaps clean them each day as well?

Just a refresher...steps family usually takes on daily basis.
grab remote from table, hit htpc, turns on receiver, and tv (HTPC always on and always in theaterview) switches inputs on tv, and receiver, and sets audio sound mode, screensaver is set after 1 minute of idle time.

once systems are up, they go to guide chose kare 11 hd, and error happens, after force killing both media center services, then reopening to theaterview, kare hd or any other channel plays instantly, after nightly news is over (99% of the time) family members go into library (audio, video, images...somewhere other then guide) listens to multiple hours of entertainment, then grabs remote and hits off, screensaver\theaterview stop what ever is playing, tv shuts off, receiver shuts off.

just checked my time shifting drive on server (mapped/shared) 931GB total, 841GB free.

ill leave Disk management open on Server 2008R2, and refresh/rescan disks tomm at 430 and see if time shifting drive shrinks considerably.

On a side note, I'm not receiving replies in my email about replies. ive checked all pc's, devices, and also logged in to msn/outlook account, nothing from jriver from these last posts since my last post yesterday at 4:50pm. (I've sent email to the address from my other accounts, and had friends send me test email, and all of those i received.)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »

I have a somewhat similar problem, and I've been following this thread and troubleshooting on my own.  I often get the "something went wrong with playback" in theater view mysteriously, often after leaving my computer unattended for a while.  I tried to run it down, and I'm not sure if you're seeing the same problem I am (we have different tuner devices), but In my case it seems to be a consequence of JRiver not releasing the TV tuner correctly after long recordings or extended viewing.  Let me go over my observations:

I have an HDHomerun Prime, which is an ethernet cablecard tuner with three tuners in it.  I can tell when a tuner is active because each tuner has a green light that illuminates when it's active.  So here's what I've observed:

1) I only record two television programs in all.  They are half an hour each and run back to back on the same channel on weeknights.  My server is configured to record the two half-hour programs (one from 11 to 11:30 the other from 11:30 to 12:00).  The server successfully records both programs, but when the second program finishes, the tuner light does not usually turn off, even after many hours.  After such a recording, when I attempt to watch TV on the client I get either a "something went wrong with playback" in theater view or a "no tuner is available" error in standard view, notwithstanding the fact that there are two other tuners available and not in use.  The server, if left alone, will not release the tuner in question (I waited over a day once), but, sometimes, remotely logging into the server, opening up the TV menu and clicking "watch" and then "stop" will release the tuner so that the light turns off and client playback works correctly. Sometimes that doesn't work and the server instance of MC needs to be restarted to release the tuner.

2) Similarly, if I watch TV for a long while on a client PC and then hit stop, the client will sometimes similarly not release a tuner (it will stay illuminated).  Sometimes attempting to watch the same channel again on the client and hitting stop again will cause it to release, but sometimes not and then I get the same errors as in 1), and MC needs to be restarted.  It seems most likely to get "stuck" after continuous viewing for longer than the time-shift window (in my case longer than 1 hour).

So in my case the error seems to be caused by a computer attempting to use a "busy" tuner and not falling back to the other unused tuners.  I confirmed this was the case by changing my tuner settings in the TV options menu, where it lets you choose which order JRiver will poll tuners in.  If I set my server and clients to prefer the same tuners in the same order, I get the behavior described in 1) and 2).  If I instead set the server to "prefer" a different tuner than my clients, the client still works in case number 1).  This suggests that in addition to not relinquishing the tuner correctly that the tuner fallback isn't working as expected in this specific case (i.e. the non-busy tuners are accessible if you explciitly select them, but JRiver doesn't successfully go down the preference list when the first tuner is "locked").

I should add that the fallback behavior works correctly for me in other cases, i.e. attempts to record multiple simultaneous programs works fine, and attempting to watch TV on a client while the server is recording successfully "falls back" to an open tuner as long as I'm doing it while the server is actually recording and not "hung" post recording.

xtacbyme, if your tuner device has multiple tuners, you might want to try setting your client to use a different preference order than your server and see if that results in any change in behavior.  It may not help, but it made my system much more usable.  

Hope this helps.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:11 am »

xtacbyme, if your tuner device has multiple tuners, you might want to try setting your client to use a different preference order than your server and see if that results in any change in behavior.  It may not help, but it made my system much more usable. 

this brings up perhaps more info that may help troubleshoot it... the server holds tuner card. (only 1 tuner in house) the server tuner card has 2 connectors but only 1 is being used. the server is setup to auto record america's got talent, and what would you do...thats it. (using tuner card for local over the air channels only) the "something went wrong with playback" is just the family wanting to watch news daily (5-6:30) but is not setup as a subscription.

as far as if the tuner is staying illuminated, this is tough for me to troubleshoot due to the fact the haupauuge card is in server box in a cabinet (can't see it without disassembling) so, not ruling this out. Could very well be the issue being AT TIMES we do get the tuner is not available error (very rarely, usually we just get "something went wrong with playback") there is only 1 client that ever uses guide and this is the HTPC, today before trying the HTPC i will try our laptop, and workstation to see if we get the same problem.

On a side note, I'm not receiving replies in my email about replies. ive checked all pc's, devices, and also logged in to msn/outlook account, nothing from jriver from these last posts since my last post yesterday at 4:50pm. (I've sent email to the address from my other accounts, and had friends send me test email, and all of those i received.)
Still not receiving any emails from JRiver from anywhere on the forum, and im subscribed to windows 19-20, mac 19-20, linux 20, and many other threads such as this one. On average i receive a minimum of 10-15 emails from JRiver a day...None since the 13th (this Wed.)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 05:32:58 pm »

just got back in town, tried HTPC (kare 11)and laptop (tried ABC News), and they both worked with no errors.
Will keep you posted... have now turned on logging on laptop as well.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:11 pm »

4:57pm Error "something went wrong with playback" had to open task manager, force kill media center service, and jriver service.
tried sending you a log via email, but the log is to big. i've invited you to jriver support folder i have on dropbox. file is 32.6MB
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up