INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help playing to various areas of the house.  (Read 1409 times)

Dewd

• Recent member
Please help playing to various areas of the house.
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:27 am »

Hey there.

I've been using MC for about 7 years now to manage my music only.  Not even sure what version I'm on now - Just been using what works for me.  Obviously will be upgrading to the latest in this process.

I've kept it on a central PC and just played directly from there.  Some 2 and a half years ago, I got my first Android phone and started using Gizmo.  All cool.

Now here's the thing.  I want to finally get this system working the way I want.   I've had a brief look around this forum and only succeeded in confusing myself by reading topics that looked like the right one, but turned out to not be.  Below, I'm going to outline what I want to achieve.  Please point me in the right direction as to where I can find the right info.  I am no tech expert, but I do have a slightly better than average understanding of this stuff, but clearly still have a lot to learn.

Objectives :
  • All media stored on a central PC (done)
  • Set up three areas within the house (Lounge, TV Room, Entertainment Area)
  • I want the same thing to be played on all three areas at the same time - can't really see a reason to split that up, but I want to be able to control the volume in all three zones independently of each other - preferably from a central mobile interface, like my phone or tablet ( not having to schlep back to the PC to do it).  Maybe even turn different areas off and on remotely.
  • At some stage, I would like to be able to play my movie library to the TV, but that is no rush, I want to sort the audio thing out first, but want to keep that in mind when setting stuff now.

I'm sure these things have been asked 100 times before and will probably bore the Guru's out there, so please just point me in the right direction so I can keep the really stupid questions down to a minimum.

Des

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help me take it to the next level.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »

Welcome.

This might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89516.0

When you post, please try to find a subject that describes the question.  You will be more likely to get an answer.

Dewd

• Recent member
Re: Please help playing to various areas of the house.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

Thanks. 

I'm doing a lot of reading and sometimes I think there is such a thing as too much information.....Lol

One of my challenges is that I'm in South Africa, and a lot of the stuff the guys mention in articles / posts are not available here and some places do not ship to here, but there are ways around that I know......

Next question then - what if I have multiple sound cards in the PC?  Will MC see each of these as separate zones?  Can I control the volume in each of these zones from Gizmo?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Please help playing to various areas of the house.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:19 am »

Next question then - what if I have multiple sound cards in the PC?  Will MC see each of these as separate zones?  Can I control the volume in each of these zones from Gizmo?

You would have to setup each of the zones yourself in that case.  Make a zone and select one of your audio devices from Playback Options.  Then create a new zone and select your other audio device.  You should be able to control these zones from Gizmo.
Adam Thompson, JRiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up