INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC wont sleep after canceled recording  (Read 3141 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
PC wont sleep after canceled recording
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:56:22 am »

I am running MC 19 version 141, but I noticed the same problem with the previous build.

I have a projector connected via HDMI and I often turn off the projector to save bulb life. While the projector is off I like to continue listening to music using JRemote to make selections. The projector is designed to delay for 2 minutes before completely shutting down. When the 2 minute timer expires, there is a disruption on the HDMI connection which causes the audio to stop. In the past, the system used to be able to recover and keep playing. More recently I noticed that sometimes I have to hit stop and restart the track that is playing.

The problem gets even more interesting if there is a program being recorded in the background. The HDMI disruption does something that causes MC19 to stop responding at all. The recording will continue but it wont ever stop. A few days ago, a one hour recording continued for nine hours until I manually stopped it. I repeated this test last night and saw the same results. In this case I went ahead and manually stopped the recording after a few minutes. When this problem occurs JRemote and MC both stop responding.

My system would not sleep after this sequence of events. I discovered that this morning and started playing around with powercfg. I noticed that although there were no active requests, a wake timer associated with MC was still active. It was scheduled to expire 24 hours AFTER the recording that was started last night. I closed MC and restarted it. That cleared the wake timer and my system was able to sleep.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PC wont sleep after canceled recording
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:03 am »

Double check your system date. 

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:13:02 am »

The system date is correct.

I see that the wake timer is activated as soon as MC enters Theater view. It remains active when I return to Display view and is only stopped when I exit MC.

I also noticed that there was a powercfg request associated with the display pending for MC. That also disappeared when I exited MC. Could that be associated with the "Keep HDMI active" option?

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:19:55 am »

Are you using any third party plug-ins?

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:04 am »

No.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:01:54 am »

From your description it appears that MC was prevented from checking whether a recording should stop.  A recording that is not stopped will cause the system not to go to sleep.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:36:04 pm »

Please provide a log.  Email it to yaobing at jriver dot com

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:50:52 pm »

It takes a while to reproduce the original problem.
However I did see almost the same thing tonight just by canceling a recording.
The recording stopped but there is a powercfg request pending against MC.
That request disappears when MC unloads but reappears when I load it again.

I will email you a log file for that sequence.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:50 am »

I saw the same problem tonight after recording "24".

There was a waketimer associated with MC.
The timer disappeared a few minutes after I unloaded MC.
I reloaded MC and confirmed that the timer was not present.
I switched to Theater view and tried to sleep, but I was unsuccessful.
I exited Theater view.
I ran powercfg again and the waketimer was back.
   The expiration of the waketimer is listed as 6/19/2014 at 6:58PM.
   This is almost 72 hours in the future, based on my current system time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 06:14:31 am »

A wake timer is used to wake your computer up to record a TV show.  But I believe it is installed only at the time when the computer tries to go to sleep.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 06:36:09 am »

I tried to reproduce the problem but was not able to.

Can you describe in more details how you get what you got?

I scheduled a recording in MC.  Nothing shows up with "powercfg waketimer" or "powercfg requests" as expected.  

I put the system to sleep manually (using Windows shutdown button at lower left corner).  That is when a wake timer would be installed, but I can not issue "powercfg waketimer" without waking up the system first.  

If I wake up the system, there is no more wake timer.  

Once the system is woken up by the wake timer to do the recording, I can check "powercfg requests" and see that there is indeed a request made by MC, as expected.  The request is made by MC when recording is started.  

If I wait until recording stops naturally, or cancel recording, in either case, there are no more requests.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:12:36 am »

I have continued to see this problem every few days but it is generally NOT associated with a canceled recording.

This evening I recorded a show from 9-10PM. At 10:06PM I was unable to put the system to sleep.

I ran powercfg -waketimers and saw a pending timer that would expire at 8:58PM tomorrow 7/11/2014.
I collected a log and then was able to put the system to sleep.

I will go ahead and email you the log from that sequence.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:08 am »

Sorry for taking so long.  It is a slow job reading logs.

Here are some of the events I found in your log:

The log started at 7:54 PM 7/9/2014.  At 10:43 PM it went to sleep.  MC installed a timer for 20.2 hours (time to start recording a TV show, the next day).

At 6:58 PM 7/10/2014, the computer woke up, and started recording a TV show.  The system sent a notification for Auto-resume.

At 7:32 PM recording ended.

At 8:58 PM, recording at another TV channel started.

At 9:48 PM the system sent a resume-from-standby notification.  This is a bit strange as the system should not have been sleeping at the moment since it was recording.

At 10:01 PM TV recording stopped.

At 10:06 PM the system attempted to sleep, but auto-resumed immediately.

15 seconds later another attempt at sleep, auto-resumed.

There seems indeed a problem.  But I am not sure what yet. I am not able to reproduce it on my machine.  Last night, my computer did not have trouble going to sleep after recording a TV show (either manually or automatically).  It however always wakes up in a few minutes (2 - 5 minutes).  I don't think it is the same problem though.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 11:58:05 am »

I ran powercfg -waketimers and saw a pending timer that would expire at 8:58PM tomorrow 7/11/2014.

This timer was set up for TV recording the next day.  It was installed when you tried to put the system to sleep at 10:06 PM.  It was not what kept your system from going to sleep.  Maybe we did not clean up previous timer (which had already expired) properly.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:20 pm »

You can check if the following is a sure way of reproducing the problem on your system:

Schedule a recording in near future (like in 5 to 10 minutes), force the system to sleep manually.  Do not manually wake up the computer, let MC wake it up for recording.  Once the recording is done/canceled, try putting the system to sleep.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »

As I mentioned before, the wake timer you saw with powercfg /waketimers is for the next TV recording, and had no bearing on why you could not put the system back to sleep.  The wake timer we use for TV recording is non-repeating, and remains signaled once it has been signaled.  So the old timer should not prevent the system from going to sleep, even if the older timer was not cleaned up.  In addition, we do clean up the old timer at the time when the system tries to go to sleep again, in order to setup new recordings.  

In one of my replies above, I mentioned that my system kept waking up last night, a few minutes after it was put to sleep.  What I discovered today was that it was caused by a mulfunctioning TV hardware (Hauppauge HD PVR2).  After it has been running for a few days, it would go into a non-responsive state, with Windows not recognizing the USB device.  That was what kept waking up the system.  Maybe you have a similar situation?

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:16:53 am »

You can check if the following is a sure way of reproducing the problem on your system:

Schedule a recording in near future (like in 5 to 10 minutes), force the system to sleep manually.  Do not manually wake up the computer, let MC wake it up for recording.  Once the recording is done/canceled, try putting the system to sleep.

I scheduled a recording to start at 9:30PM, which was 20 minutes in the future. I put the computer to sleep and waited for the recording to complete at 10PM. At 10:15PM I was able to put the system back to sleep.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:41 pm »

I scheduled a recording to start at 9:30PM, which was 20 minutes in the future. I put the computer to sleep and waited for the recording to complete at 10PM. At 10:15PM I was able to put the system back to sleep.

Thanks for the feed-back.

This rules out my initial suspicion that not cleaning up old wake timer might be the problem (which I have pretty much ruled out already).  I can not think of anything inside MC that can prevent the system from going to sleep.  When the system goes to sleep, we install a wake timer for a future recording.  When the recording actually start, we make a request to the system so the system will not go to sleep while we are recording.  When we finish recording, we cancel the request.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 09:42:34 am »

I have also noticed that the PC won't sleep in Theater Mode. When I switch back to standard mode it does sleep.
Of course sometimes I CAN sleep in Theater Mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Up