INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media editor keeps closing  (Read 2168 times)

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
media editor keeps closing
« on: February 13, 2002, 11:47:08 am »

I am very new to this so please excuse me if I am doing something obvious to you guys! I am trying to learn the media editor, but every time I get to the end of what I am doing and 'save' it bleeps me, tells me the programme has performed an illegal operation and closes without saving anything. What am I doing wrong? Also I tried to open a file directly from an audio cd (to save quality loss when using the editor?) but after waiting for over an hour and 20 minutes looking at a box that said 'decoding' I got bored and gave up. Should it take this long? Thanks for any help.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:media editor keeps closing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 11:51:16 am »

Try closing Media Jukebox when you run Media Editor.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 11:53:27 am »

I thought that would maybe close the whole programme, so I'll try that. Thanks very much.

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 12:44:58 pm »

I have tried closing MediaJukebox as suggested, but it still does the same. Maybe I am trying to save it in the wrong format. Until É used Media Editor for the first time today, I thought an MP3 was an MP3. I don't know the difference between a lame mp3, lame MP3 VBR or an external encoder MP3. I have tried to save it as an external encoder MP3 and this is when the 'This programme has performaed an illegal task etc. etc.' box comes up. The help file says Media Edotor automatically decodes from an MP3 into a .wav file to edit and then encodes back to MP3 automatically when finished, so I think I must be doing something wrong somewhere when saving. Any ideas?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 12:50:51 pm »

You can't open directly from an audio CD.  See the FAQ here or your help section for details on "Ripping" a CD.  The FAQ may clear up some other details.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2002, 12:53:20 pm »

Sorry to sound so thick, but I don't know what you mean!

leonidas

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2002, 01:29:49 pm »

rip the file with the mp3 encoder (rip CD--just do one song at 120 kbs CBR until you get the hang of it), then edit the ripped mp3 file (which is now on your hard drive), not the file that's on the CD itself. Or did you try this too? What are you trying to edit and why (just need a brief answer)? Sometimes people use terminology incorrectly--saying, for example, that they want to "burn" when they mean "rip" (or vice versa), or that they want to "upload" when they mean "download" (or vice versa). I'm just checking to make sure that you really want to "edit" something.

Michael

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2002, 01:41:38 pm »

The file I tried to edit was an mp3 already on my hard drive. It's a live song with lots of applause etc. at the start of it. I wanted to delete the intro and clapping (which goes on for about 40 seconds) so I just had the song. I managed to edit it but couldn't save it as mentioned above. The new edited version is saved, but it's .wav, not mp3. Don't know if this makes a big difference? The second problem: The help file mentions loss of quality when editing and suggests opening a file from a cd to edit instead of converting to mp3 first. This is when it took over an hour to decode and I got bored and gave up. It's a similar situation as above with lots of applause, but on a cd, not on my hard drive. Thanks a lot for your time (and patience - I'm pretty computer illiterate!)

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2002, 11:37:18 am »

I have tried various ways to save files today with the same result. It still closes and only saves as a .wav file.

leonidas

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2002, 11:44:00 am »

I have only used media editor a couple of times and its been quite some time since I've done so, but I'm refamiliarizing myself with it now. Doesn't anyone else out there use it and have any suggestions?

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2002, 12:59:07 pm »

Can anyone tell me the difference between lame mp3, lame mp3 VBR and external encoder mp3? They are the save options given, so maybe that's where I'm going wrong, by saving it in the wrong format?
Thanks.

leonidas

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2002, 01:16:06 pm »

the difference between CBR (what you are referring to as Lame) and VBR is that CBR keeps a constant bit rate throughout the recording (a 120 kbs CBR mp3 would be 120 kbs from beginning to end) but the  bit rate varies on a VBR (so that 120 kbs would be the maximum on a 120 kbs VBR mp3, but in the areas of the song that have less musical depth, the kbs would be lower, resulting in a smaller file size in comparison with the same song recorded in CBR). The external recorder just allows you to choose an mp3 recorder other than Lame (eg GoGo or Xing) if you happen to have one on your system.

This shouldn't be a problem unless you're selecting external encoder and not specifying one

dragyn

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2002, 01:17:28 pm »

Lame is constant bit rate. VBR is variable bit rate (changes throughout the song). External is using a different encoder other than lame to encode mp3s.

I'm using Lame VBR.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2002, 01:22:08 pm »

VBR Good
CBR Bad
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2002, 01:38:44 pm »

Sorry guys, way over my head! Didn't really understand but I'll try to get the hang of it. I tried to save it as external encoder mp3 and from the above I guess that means outside my pc huh? (which as far as I know I don't have but my computer knowledge is REALLY limited!) I'll try saving it as one of the others.
Thanks a million for all your help.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2002, 01:45:03 pm »

shakes

CBR vs. VBR
Most of the information you'll read in this book and elsewhere assumes that the bitstream is being encoded at a constant bitrate (CBR). In other words, if you specify a 128 kbps encoding, then that's what you're going to get, start to finish. The drawback to CBR is that most music isn't structured with anything approaching a constant rate. Passages with many instruments or voices are succeeded by passages with few, simplicity follows complexity, and so on. The response to this situation has been the development of variable bitrate (VBR) encoders and decoders, which vary the bitrate in accordance with the dynamics of the signal flowing through each frame. VBR technology was first implemented by Xing, which is now owned by Real Networks, but is now supported by dozens, if not hundreds, of third-party products.

Rather than specifying a bitrate before encoding begins, the user specifies a threshold, or tolerance, when encoding with VBR. All notions of bits per second go right out the window, of course; instead, one selects VBR quality on a variable scale. Confusingly, this scale is represented differently in different encoders. While MusicMatch Jukebox gives you a scale of 1 to 100, the LAME command-line encoder lets you specify a quality of 0 to 9, where the scale represents a distortion ratio. Therefore, you can't just assume that higher numbers mean higher quality-see the documentation for your encoder before proceeding, or run the tests yourself. In any case, the scales are essentially arbitrary; think of them as though you were using a slider to control the overall quality versus file size ratio as you might with a JPEG editor.

While VBR files may achieve smaller file sizes than those encoded in CBR at a roughly equivalent fidelity, they present a number of drawbacks of their own. First, these files may not be playable in older-generation decoders, which had no notion of VBR concepts (although the ISO standard specifies that a player must handle VBR files if it's to be considered ISO-compliant). Second, VBR files may present timing difficulties for decoders. You may expect your MP3 player to display inaccurate timing readouts-or no timing information at all-when playing back VBR files. However, VBR techniques conveniently take some of the guess work out of trying to find an optimal bitrate for any given track-whereas you might have to encode a file several times with CBR to find the perfect balance, you can just set your encoder to use a relatively high quality level and let the computer figure out an optimal bitrate for each frame automatically.

NOTE
In general, the header data in most CBR files is same for each frame, while header data is necessarily different for each frame of a VBR file. However, VBR files don't incur more processing power, as all MP3 players read the header data for each frame regardless of whether they're playing a CBR or VBR file.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

leonidas

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2002, 02:00:05 pm »

Dragyn

>>>>>>>>>>>Lame is constant bit rate. VBR is variable bit rate . . .  I'm using Lame VBR.

So you're using that new constant variable bit rate. How's that working out?

shakes

"external" refers to an encoder other than the program's internal encoder. Lame, GoGo, Xing, Fruehoffer (spelling unk.) are different encoders based on the mp3 criteria (or something along those lines anyway), So, if I had a GoGo mp3 encoder that I downloaded somewhere, and I wanted to use it instead of Lame, I'd choose "external encoder." If I didn't have an external encoder, though, and I told media editor to go ahead and use one anyway, it might rightly think that I'd lost my bloody mind, and it might just sit and twiddle its thumbs all night waiting for me to give it an order that it considers to make sense

even if you had one of them, don't ever choose GoGo or Xing instead of Lame. ever. (they're inferior mp3 encoders).

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2002, 02:14:09 pm »

Thanks for taking so much time to explain, I really appreciate it. I have just tried to save it as lame mp3 VBR but it says 'cannot create plug-in lame MP3 VBR'. Sorry! If I can just save this one file I'll be out of your hair (for tonight anyway!)

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2002, 02:22:17 pm »

Just had a look under Accessories/plug ins and there is a lame mp3 encoder listed. Do I need to download this before I can save?

leonidas

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2002, 02:25:32 pm »

don't worry about it--that's what this forum is for

it doesn't sound like the Lame encoder has been installed, so give that a shot

keep us posted

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2002, 02:27:08 pm »

MHorton

thats what i was thinking
Fayetteville, NC, USA

grshakes

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2002, 02:46:24 pm »

I downloaded the Lame encoder, saved as lame mp3 VBR AND IT WORKED!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all your help and patience. It's only taken me a year and two days to realise how brill MJ is! Thanks again.

leonidas

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2002, 02:57:23 pm »

congradulations

there's one in the plus column for MJ tech support

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2002, 03:05:09 pm »

shakes

Well they are working out the kinks as fast as JimH can get them to work for donuts and coffee (On Fridays they get to have blueberry muffins, and go home for the weekend to be with there wife). I am not sure if he let them go home today, Valentines Day and all you know. He makes them sleep by there computer at night incase they want to fix a bug at 2am, I do not know how they do it.

I think the major problems are

CD Writer - Burning And Recognizing a CD\RW.
Buy Button - Working Without a crash for all users.
Auto Re-Register - When a license is lost, but keeping it secure and limiting restore license to prevent pirating.

It should all be fixed

Suzy Bogguss - Someday Soon.mp3
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up