INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do some buttons not work?  (Read 2616 times)

garyi

• Recent member
Do some buttons not work?
« on: June 16, 2014, 04:34:31 pm »

Hello, trying to trial JRiver for mac. A lot of things don't appear to do anything. Is this because its not fully ported or am I just unlucky?

For instance, I cancelled a scan of coverart. I thought the programme had crashed because the main screen had become unresponsive, however it must have registered because it cancelled the scan of coverart. For the life of me I cannot work out how to make it have another go.

In tools>coverart, most of these options appear to do nothing, even when they have ... after them (implying I guess that another window is going to open) for instance 'get from scanner' and 'select scanner' do nothing. rebuild thumbnails warns about something, but then appears to do nothing.

In services and plugins there are what appear to be links, these do nothing.

Just trying to get a handle on things. I am happy to pay 50 bucks or what ever it is, but not if a lot of it does not work, seems a bit harsh charging full price for half a product.

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Do some buttons not work?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:39:29 pm »

It is what it is.  MC is gradually being improved, but please don't buy it if you think it's "a bit harsh" or that it's "half a product".

garyi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:40:45 pm »

Hi so what you are saying is these buttons don't work?

If I were to purchase a windows licence, could that be transferred to mac once its up together?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

If I were to purchase a windows licence, could that be transferred to mac once its up together?

Windows and Mac use separate licenses.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:19 pm »

In theory, all of the options exposed in the UI on MC Mac should work.  The vast majority of the application does work, and any features that do not, but which you can "see" from within the application, should be reported (which may be a bug, or reveal a problem with your setup).

I think you've found one here.  I don't know for sure... I don't have a scanner hooked up to my Mac, and have never even tried the built-in cover art scanning functionality under Windows.  But, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Mac version doesn't (yet) support scanning.  It also doesn't support ripping (unless this changed very recently).  Assuming I'm right and this shouldn't work, then that's a bug, though not in that it doesn't work, but in that you shouldn't be able to see the option in the UI.  It got missed, in other words.

Generally, the Mac version of MC is a complete product.  It does what it can do very well.  But, it is not feature-equivalent to the Windows version (which has been under development for way more than 12 years).  It will improve, though you can expect major new features to come with a major new release version (and so therefore, requiring a paid upgrade).

The rest should be hidden.  There is certainly a lot to do to match the Windows version, but what is there is very good.  If you have specific examples of where it isn't working, then lets figure out why and where.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

garyi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:17:53 pm »

Hi thanks for this I will certainly feedback as I find.

Is there a way to stop tracks 'merging' if I change them. i.e. one is playing, I choose another half way through, it sort of cross fades, but badly. Can this be prevented?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:23:01 pm »

The setting for that is in Settings -> Audio -> Track Change -> Switch tracks:
Default should be cross-fade, which you're hearing, you can set it to something else.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »

I split off the posts about switching Libraries, since that's a very different topic.  The new thread is here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89875.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up