INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: @Gatherum: DVD Stream selection persistence  (Read 2215 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
@Gatherum: DVD Stream selection persistence
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:23 pm »

Quote from: Gatherum
Just dropping in to re-affirm that DVD content still does not behave as it should in terms of stream configuration retention. I rip my DVD's via DVDFab into VIDEO_TS folder structure. When I play these files, select an alternate audio stream (such as Japanese) and/or a subtitle stream, stop playback, and then start it again, I find that my selections are "forgotten" by MC, with everything reverting to the defaults (English with no subtitles, for instance). This makes the creation of particles for the purposes of audio analysis for multiple audio streams in a video container entirely useless. BD rips (BDMV folder structure) do not exhibit this issue, and function perfectly.

Just so I'm clear, is this a technical limitation, or is just a low-priority issue? I want to know in case it's the former so I can stop nagging you guys about it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Media Center 19.0.141 -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:08:58 pm »

Just so I'm clear, is this a technical limitation, or is just a low-priority issue? I want to know in case it's the former so I can stop nagging you guys about it.

I tested this on one disc I had around, and it remembered my subtitle choice just fine.
Did you select them through MCs settings, or through the DVD menu? The latter is not going to stick.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:21:33 pm »

The former. I rip my DVD's with DVDFab in folder structure (VIDEO_TS) by episode, doing away with the DVD menu entirely. Thus, I am left only with MC's context menu settings, my changes to which not being retained for some reason. Again, ripped BD's in folder structure (BDMV/STREAM) do not exhibit this issue.

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:42:29 am »

Any thoughts on that?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: @Gatherum: DVD Stream selection persistence
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:17:25 am »

Seems like I can make it remember the audio choice, for some reason subtitle triggers an error when it tries to apply the selection during startup though.
Quite sure this will not help audio analysis though, as that uses an entirely different way to access DVDs. Yes, DVDs are just terrible like that.

Maybe I can improve title-based DVD playback to actually be usable, that would be a good alternative and allow using our native playback engine.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:35:49 am »

Mmm, I appreciate it. :)

How did you get it to retain the audio selection? It won't do so for me.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:57:10 am »

I messed around in the code to make it do that. I wonder what would happen on DVDs with a menu, since in that case the first title that starts playing usually doesn't have any alternate audio streams, and they only show up later once the movie starts.

Its all really messy.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »

Is that also the reason why the subtitle size and shifting options don't work quite right for DVD subs either? I'm not at my home computer right now to demonstrate, but if I remember correctly, setting either option in either direction will resize and move the pictures, but not to any precise extent i.e. there is no difference between setting the size to 50% or 90%, suffice it to say that both options will produce smaller subs than 100%. Similar concept when using the shift options.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »

I'm kinda surprised that those options work at all on DVD, since classical DVD playback doesn't even use MCs subtitle engine.

Did I say that DVD playback on PCs is terrible?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:54 pm »

Mmm. What I described above might only apply to ripped SUB/IDX files used as sidecars. I'm not sure if size and shifting work on non-ripped subs. I'll do a test when I can get home.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:45 pm »

Mmm. What I described above might only apply to ripped SUB/IDX files used as sidecars. I'm not sure if size and shifting work on non-ripped subs. I'll do a test when I can get home.

Oh yeah it would work on those, no idea how well though.
Maybe I should put it on my list to test it out some time, but probably not very soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:22:43 am »

Confirming: the subs I mentioned before were sidecars.

Would love to see the ability to resize/shift non-sidecar DVD subs. I'd be happy with just the selection persistence though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up