INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC encoding  (Read 4805 times)

azteca x

• Recent member
AAC encoding
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:57:43 am »

Hello,

I did some searching and only found AAC encoding discussion from before the debut of the Mac version.  I have used dbPoweramp in the past and recently fiddled around with using the qaac codec via dbpoweramp's CLI encoder plugin.  XLD works great but as MC is where my collection lives and is updated, it would be fantastic to be able to keep my lossless library in sync with my lossy "iPod" library.
Consensus is that Apple's AAC encoder is the best.  As I believe it's included in every version of the Mac OS via CoreAudio and Quicktime, could we have AAC conversion options added instead of dealing with command line stuff?  Again, I think XLD does an admirable job of this.  See attached screenshot.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: AAC encoding
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »

Hello,

I did some searching and only found AAC encoding discussion from before the debut of the Mac version.  I have used dbPoweramp in the past and recently fiddled around with using the qaac codec via dbpoweramp's CLI encoder plugin.  XLD works great but as MC is where my collection lives and is updated, it would be fantastic to be able to keep my lossless library in sync with my lossy "iPod" library.
Consensus is that Apple's AAC encoder is the best.  As I believe it's included in every version of the Mac OS via CoreAudio and Quicktime, could we have AAC conversion options added instead of dealing with command line stuff?  Again, I think XLD does an admirable job of this.  See attached screenshot.

I'm curious as to the reason and need to keep a separate lossless and lossy library. When you synch an iPod/iPhone/iPad using iTunes there is an option to convert the files to AAC on the fly without effecting your lossless library files.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

azteca x

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:50:36 am »

Well, FLAC isn't supported by iTunes, so that's a showstopper already.  Second, though I have an iPod classic I have a different portable player that will be replacing it in the near future, thus I won't interface with it through iTunes.  The player combines internal and SDXC storage and the space savings of a lossy encode allow for me to have way more music on the go.  Given that I have a large amount of music and the player itself will be able to hold quite a lot (~300GB) I don't want to deal with very long processes of re-converting and re-syncing, particularly given that I like the lossy encodes to still be near transparent and I'd like to throw in an iZotope VST for resampling and dithering.

Additionally, if MC already offers MP3 and every Mac has the ideal AAC encoder already installed...why not?  It's not an obscure format.  The ALAC encoder is already implemented.

EDIT: To clarify, the goal is that I can periodically Select All in my library, tell it to convert, MC will skip the already-converted, and the next time I plug in my portable player I'll be able to sync it.  This is in contrast to needing to open XLD or similar, check what the last batch I converted was, then pick everything I've added since then, set destination etc.

azteca x

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:57 am »

I'd love to have a JRiver developer weigh in on this.  Shouldn't be too strenuous to implement, right?

azteca x

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »

Bumpity bump  :-*

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »

The command line is the way to do this for now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up