INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver video converter..auto convert recorded tv shows?  (Read 8364 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
jriver video converter..auto convert recorded tv shows?
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »

just noticed we now have a video converter...is it possible to have jriver auto convert the TS recorded shows, to a small .mp4 right after recording?
or do all recordings have to manually be converted?
Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: jriver video converter..auto convert recorded tv shows?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »

or do all recordings have to manually be converted?

It's manual conversion only right now.  It should be pretty easy though.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »

ok thanks Matt.

another question being ive just ran across this feature... is it safe to assume i can now select all video types in library and just start converting\replacing?
this would save us Tera's of data. and above all help us with the video playback in one of our libraries where when we try to fast forward certain video files in gizmo, it just restarts the film. Maybe i could convert all files on that library to a different type which then would fix the videos from restarting when ffwding?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »

MCAutoQueue was written for this purpose.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76147.0

I'd love it, though I'd be frustrated over the past year's worth of work I've put into my framework to build a MCHandbraker utility (which I'm working on, slowly) if MC had a command line option to access those converters well.

But, you don't need it, if you own VideoReDo anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:42:16 pm »

thanks glynor, will have a test.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

You also use a HandHeld Device (but to a folder) to create an MP4 stacked version (I use this to create an MP3/MP4 library for other devices).  I've never played with "Auto-sync on connect" so don't know how it would react with a TV Show that is being recorded.

If that is a prob, there is an MCWS command that will kick off the process (I'm not sure of the corresponding MCC).

Handheld

Sync
         Run a sync of an attached handheld.
         Parameters:
            Device: The device to sync. (default: )
            DeviceType: The type of value provided in 'Device' (Name: device name; ID: session id). (default: Name)
            ShowWarnings: If warnings are allowed. (default: 1)

For example, this kicks of a Sync for me on my "MP3 Library"- "http://localhost:52199/MCWS/v1/handheld/sync?Device=MP3%20Library"

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »

Without diving into MCAutoQueue yet.

I just converted my first .wmv (293mb) to mp4 720P (707mb) from within JRiver. i then opened gizmo, and tried playing the old file (.wmv) and everytime i touched progress bar to skip ahead, it would start film over. then i tried the converted .mp4 file in gizmo, and as i touched progress bar it ffwd as it should..STELLAR!
few things.
1. is it possible to delete the original file once the converted file is made? (I'd like to select all .wmv files over a thousand, convert them, then delete old.)
2. is it possible to have jriver move all the tags over to the new converted file automatically after\during conversion?
3. which conversion format do you all recommend for the smallest, best quality Video file? I'd like to redo all my files on this library to something that works in gizmo...similar to the .mp4 i chose for first test but smaller with superb quality)
Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »

Have a look in the Options (under the Convert Format Windows), here you can select stuff like:
- Convert to same directory, and
- Import converted files (should have the same tags)
- Number of files to convert at the same time =1 (there can be problems if you have more than one but I forget the exact scenario that this occurred under!)

One you have tested a few to make sure it is all fine you can then select and delete the originals as you normally would in MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:48:00 pm »

thanx jmone, my problem is that 3 of the hdd's are full with 5gb left on each. so being able to delete original i'd be able to use same drives, otherwise if i want to do batch (all .wmv's) i wont have enough space. in audio converter options i noticed there is  a option called replace original file on disk and in library, Are mode options not available as of yet?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:47:58 am »

As you have found there are no "Mode" options at all with Video.  You may have to do it in smaller batches....
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:57:13 am »

Kk,  Thnx.  Guess I'll invest in another hdd.  Not about to do one file at a time.

Perhaps this could be added in the future.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 12:44:31 pm »

Well ive yet to purchase a drive...JRiver what are the odds you'd be willing to add this to video as you've done with audio? (Replace original on disk) i'd greatly appreciate it, so would my wallet :)

One more question if i may, i've noticed while manually doing some of these files that jriver auto selects the format to be converted to... is this the selection one should chose? example i have a few .flv files and when i selected convert it auto chose mp4 240p. does that mean 240p is the best option? or can i select 720 etc?
thanks again.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 11:30:33 pm »

From your PM:
f you have a second could you guide me in the right direction on which video format would be the fastest, clearest, best quality to convert 4 hdd's that have a hodgepodge of video formats?

I'd like to convert 4 hdd's so that ALL files will play from within gizmo and ALLOW for fast forwarding as discussed here - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90039.msg619222#msg619222

what's your recommendation on the best video format to accomplish my task?
Thanks in advance for your time, and advice

If you are just using Gizmo, then MC should be converting all your videos on the fly and streaming them to Gizmo based on the quality setting of High, Med, Low.  This quality setting is really so you can talor the delivery based on the NW speed you have.  Eg, you could use High when at home on WiFi, and Low when traveling on a Mobile network.  Files being streamed to Gizmo are all AVC/AAC in a TS container.  Seeking should be fine (it works for me).

If just using Gizmo I'd keep the files as they are and let MC/Gizmo do it's think automatically.  If you want to convert all your files for other reasons (space saving, native compatibility with other devices like iStuff etc), then I'd suggest you test a couple of formats such as one of the "H264-TS AutoFPS" or "MP4 AutoFPS" (if you want better native iStuff compatibility).  The issues to be aware of are:
- pending on your source material, it could make it bigger OR smaller on your HDD, and
- MC/Gizmo will still transcode it on the fly anyway each time you play
- you will introduce generational loss with each transcoding

Also I know that Hendrik is looking at this whole area, so I'd hold off.

That said I did convert all my old "DV-AVI" years ago H264 in a TS container for better compatibility.

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 12:35:04 am »

the main reason i want to do it, is because when ever im on the road, and want to watch movies on gizmo, and if i ffwd or rrwd, (move progress bar) the movies always start from the beginning, they do not ffwd, or rrwd, but when i convert them then they ffwd, and rwd.

is there a setting to fix this? or is conversion my only solution. if conversion is only fix, then i guess thats the route i'll need to take.
thanks Nathan

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:21 am »

Mmm thats odd.  When I move the seek bar (with my finger), Gizmo says, "preparing" then starts playing from the new location.  The only thing I can think of is if the original file is not seekable.  Do you have this issue with All Files or just a particular file type (and I'll test)?
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 01:06:04 am »

the issue has been around since jriver implemented clients

they are all .wmv files
when i goto the server to play the .wmv files the progress bar works as it should... ffwd or rrwd instantly.
on a client if i move progress bar, the progress bar just jumps back to the beginning of the movie/clip...it is impossible to ffwd, or rwd.

if on gizmo i click the progress bar it stops the movie/prepares, then starts it over. it will not progress.
again this has been an issue and Never fixed since clients have been introduced (version 16-17?)

it's very annoying, and the family is sick of it, so thats why i thought i'd just see if there were a way to convert all those .wmv files so that when on a client, or on gizmo they will ffwd/rrwd as all files are suppose to.
also why i've asked a few times if jriver could please implement the remove once converted option as they have in audio, so i dont have to buy extra hdd's. and it can be an automated process.

With a little searching you can see ive mentioned it many times with each version of jriver.
your thoughts on how tackle this?
thanks again

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:21:43 am »

Ok - I only have a 5 WMV files and you are right, none of them seek correctly when playing in Gizmo.  While the progress bar has moved they all start from the beginning post a seek.  

I'll see if Hendrik knows more on this (far more knowledgeable than I).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:29:48 am »

You will also notice on all your clients (pc's/laptops) they do not ffwd or rrwd either.

Also in gizmo to know instantly if the file will allow for ffwd or rrwd if the total time of video is 0:00 it's a .wmv and will not work....  All video files that allow for ffwd or rrwd will have total movie time.  Not 0:00. As the. Wmv files do.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 02:10:21 am »

FYI - I have seen this issue with seeking before with Particles (or any file that reports an incorrect length) in MC (eg 0 or 3 sec etc) as MC does not think it can seek past this point and starts again.  

I have no idea why WMV is "special".

Also - All my clients are fine as they don't use the transcoding engine (eg they can all play the file in it's native form), instead
- They all have access to the same files on the network
- I've enabled Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Client Options --> Play local file if one that matches Library Server is found

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:36 am »

well i hope it can finally be looked into before i start converting tons of files. i have a large amount of space, so space isnt the issue, it's the lack of progress seeking that really is a hindrance.
Thanks for your time Nathan.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:29:11 am »

Kk,  Thnx.  Guess I'll invest in another hdd.  Not about to do one file at a time.

Perhaps this could be added in the future.

once the conversions are done, you could always sort by file type, select all the .ts files and use JRiver to delete from disk.  at least it's not one at a time...

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:48 pm »

Gulp...just ran a search for .wmv's in library (4 HDD's)
2627.wmv's (1.0TB)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 04:21:16 pm »

It would be much better to keep them as they are and "fix" the playback issue rather than convert..  Lets see what Hendrik finds first!
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 04:52:44 pm »

exactly what i was thinking... thanks Jmone, will await his reply
Enjoy your weekend!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:36 am »

Hendrik is the "man"!  You will need MC20 when it is out, but at least you know it is fixed  ;D

Next MC20 build:
Fixed: Seeking in WMV videos over Gizmo or MC clients using transcoding did not work.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 07:45:29 am »

FYI - I'd also suggest that you tweak your NW setup so all your MC Clients on the same network have direct access to the native files instead of transcoding from the server.  Much better quality.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »

3. Fixed: Seeking in WMV videos over Gizmo or MC clients using transcoding did not work.

BIG THANK YOU to Jmone, Hendrik and JRiver, been struggling with this for some time, much appreciated!
Also even though i purchased 20, thanks for fixing it in 19... I like to wait a few months before i switch over all devices to newest version.

FYI - I'd also suggest that you tweak your NW setup so all your MC Clients on the same network have direct access to the native files instead of transcoding from the server.

could you elaborate on what this meanings?
Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »

I'm assuming at present your MC Clients connect to a MC Library Server where it both loads the library from and then during playback the MC Library Server transocodes and streams the files to the MC Client.  

The other option is that if your MC Clients can see the media files on the network (and the option is ticked) then the MC Clients will still load the library from the MC Library Server but will then play the files directly (eg no Transcoding is required) and hence you get native playback.

On my setup, I've mapped a Share on my MC Server to my Media Files using UNC, eg in the form of //Media/.... with permissions set so that all my clients can then see this share.  The Library then has as the filepath //Media/... instead of say c:/Media/... and hence they can then play the files directly

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:03 pm »

have main server, and then all clients connect to main server.
all files that are on server are setup as so \\Main_Server\ (all maps show up..movies, music, pictures etc) on all client machines if i goto network location all those files (mapped locations show up.)

where do i tell media center to handle these? also does this need to be done on all JRiver clients? or can i tell server to tell clients to handle them when connected if on home network?
thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 12:19:22 am »

All you need to check is
Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Client Options --> Play local file if one that matches Library Server is found

- If the client can "see" the files then it will play them directly, otherwise
- the MC Server will transcode and stream a version to the Client
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 02:18:43 pm »

guess i had that already checked on all pc's. :)
thanks for all your help Jmone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up