INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: losing tagging, specifically year  (Read 1376 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
losing tagging, specifically year
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:39:11 am »

Hello all,

I have noticed over the last year that my year tags have all gone....aka showing unknown year for an album. [talking music library here on MC v. 19.0.145]

Recently [last 2 weeks] I've been manually putting in year date for every album [talking 2+TB of flac music files].
because there are so many I have to do  a few alphabetical letters at a time. got to A-E & U-Z then going to continue today and found all entries had reverted to "Unknown year " again.??

is this anything to do with the problem I've mentioned in topics:

Complete Loss of playlist contents
&
Playlists appear empty in tree

could someone please help/advice?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: losing tagging, specifically year
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:24:11 am »

I've been manually putting in year date for every album [talking 2+TB of flac music files].

What exactly does "year date" mean?

Over here - I just type the album release date in the "Date" Field and Year automatically fills.

If I type 3/15/1975 in the Date field - Year automatically gets 1975.

What exactly are you typing and into what field?

VP

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:17:16 pm »

On the TAG window of MC [bottom left is a list of tags]  the one titled "Date" .
If it hasn't been auto filled when I enter a new file/album [that's usually the case] Then I highlight all the tracks on that album and enter into the "Date" tag a year ie 1975 or whatever.

It is sometimes staying there, but other times, usually my old transferred vinyl albums, it is disappearing?

hope this helps.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:30:16 pm »

On the TAG window of MC [bottom left is a list of tags]  the one titled "Date" . If it hasn't been auto filled when I enter a new file/album [that's usually the case] Then I highlight all the tracks on that album and enter into the "Date" tag a year ie 1975 or whatever. It is sometimes staying there, but other times, usually my old transferred vinyl albums, it is disappearing?

Sounds like you are doing it right. Exactly what I do and have never had an issue. If I type 1975 into the "Date" field - 1975 also appears in the Year field.

What kind of files are you trying to tag? FLAC? MP3? Other? Are the files open for writing? Are you storing tags in the files or just in the MC library.

Would need some specs on exactly what files are not holding the tag - vs. those that are.

VP

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:13:52 pm »

Have you set up the program to save tag data to the file?  Otherwise it can get lost if something goes wrong.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:07:38 am »

What kind of files are you trying to tag? FLAC? MP3? Other? Are the files open for writing? Are you storing tags in the files or just in the MC library.

Generally they [my library] are FLAC files although some are mp3 and also wm?
But this problem applies to any of them. all the files [dated or not] are listed in explorer as "Archived", if that's what you mean by "open for writing"

Have you set up the program to save tag data to the file?  Otherwise it can get lost if something goes wrong.

not quite sure what that means, if you could explain that in a bit more detail I would be grateful and able to answer you're question.

Also, again as to my original comment , would this issue have anything to do with the other topic of losing my playlists?

Thanks' in advance

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »

In standard view.  Go to Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging>Update tags when file info changes.

This way it's saved on the file, not in the program.  As far as your playlists, I don't know.  The program can have gremlins sometimes.  I've lost "last played" a number of times.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:01:35 am »

In standard view.  Go to Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging>Update tags when file info changes.

Yep, checked that....it was ticked.

As far as your playlists, I don't know.  The program can have gremlins sometimes.  I've lost "last played" a number of times.

again, yep, I thought it was one of those gremlin issues. What confused me on that is that by searching on Explorer and showing hidden folders...ie Applications . I found the actual playlists folder [in several places !]! and they contained an xxx.m3u file, but doesn't appear to link to that and hence open the list of files?

I assume the xxx.m3u file is just that  i.e.  a link file that lists all the files set up in that playlist.
I thought if there was a way to in effect reignite that link correctly, then the playlist would appear again.
However it may be just as you say  "a gremlin"...I blame Walt Disney...lol.

all being said I'll continue to see if anyone has any ideas  and keep my fingers crossed.

thank you for your advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up