INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions About DSP Studio And Volume Options  (Read 1997 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Questions About DSP Studio And Volume Options
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:47 am »

I'm very happy with the tools and options available with JRiver and have some questions regarding my usage of DSP Studio.

First I have completed Audio Analysis on my entire library. I have enabled Output Format essentially selecting 2X sampling rate except in the case of 176.4 and 192 using 1/2 since my DAC does not support those rates via USB. Due to a recently discovered hearing impairment (due to long term exposure to loud sounds which could only be music) I've enabled the Parametric Equalizer making adjustments based on my hearing tests results. I'm really pleased with the results.

Finally, and really where my questions lie, I thought this all might be inter-related, I have enabled both Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume. I listen quite a bit to Smart Lists in shuffle mode. This has proved very helpful in not having to jump for the remote control every few songs to adjust volume. I have two questions related to these volume controls. Does this have any impact on the quality of audio playback in comparison to not having these enabled?  Second, I notice that when I am not using Smart List in shuffle mode but simply playing back a complete album title that there seems to be a volume difference with the same setting on my amp.  The straight album playback seems louder that a Smart List with shuffle mode playback.  Is this change in volume from one play mode to another to be expected?

Thanks for any input.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Questions About DSP Studio And Volume Options
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:08 am »

Sound quality should not be affected. Technically SNR might be a bit lower, but it should not be an audible difference on decent equipment.

If you want a consistent volume across all situations, you need to enable Volume Leveling on its own.

When you combine it with Adaptive Volume, the volume level will change based on the tracks in the playlist, since Adaptive Volume pushes the volume up as loud as it can go without clipping the loudest track.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:25 am »

Sound quality should not be affected. Technically SNR might be a bit lower, but it should not be an audible difference on decent equipment.

If you want a consistent volume across all situations, you need to enable Volume Leveling on its own.

When you combine it with Adaptive Volume, the volume level will change based on the tracks in the playlist.
Adaptive Volume pushes the volume up as loud as it can go without clipping the loudest track.

I will try your suggestion to disable Adaptive Volume. I appreciate the reply.

sdawson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:48 am »

This sounds interesting. In what way exactly did you set up the Parametric Equalizer based on your hearing test results?

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:38:39 am »

This sounds interesting. In what way exactly did you set up the Parametric Equalizer based on your hearing test results?

When my hearing issue was first diagnosed I posted on this forum in another thread describing the results of my tests. Another member who had a similar issue and was more familiar with with the tools in DSP Studio had me enable the Parametric Equalizer. I first added an "Adjust a frequency (equalizer filter) with Frequency set at 4000 (the area of sudden dip in hearing) with Bandwidth (Q) at 1.5 and Gain at 4.5. A second High Shelf filter was also added with Frequency of 6,000, a bandwidth of 1 and a gain do 1.5. I have tried slight adjustments of the bandwidth and gain of the first filter and frequency, bandwidth and gain before settling on these settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up