INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC much less stable for me lately  (Read 2020 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
MC much less stable for me lately
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:46:24 am »

I'm using MC for quiet a long time and it is a important part to earn my money as dance instructor. When I started using MC it was a quiet buggy thing. I used it for management, but for playback kept good old winamp. It was back in 2008 when I changed completely to MC because there was no reason to use anything else left. And it got SO MUCH better since then.

But the last few month I have more and more crashes. Crashes after starting MC, crashes after pausing a song, crashes after starting a song. Thing is: there is no way for me to do more investigation right now. At home it runs well most the time, but it doesn't when I really need it.

Yesterday I had a dancing lesson with a new instructor. We had to change the laptop because every second or third song MC crashed. I'd like to take the time to save crash reports or to even take a deeper look which song triggers this, but there is no time to lose.

I know, there is no big chance for getting concrete help here because I'm not offering much information, but I'm wondering if I am the only one receiving the impression that MC gets less stable lately?!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC much less stable lately?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:11 am »

I don't think I've had a single crash in months.  Certainly nothing regular since they quashed the open handles memory leak thing back around the holidays.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC much less stable lately?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:57:47 am »

I haven't had a single crash either.  Please use Help > Logging and post a crash log.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC much less stable for me lately
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! Great to hear it's looks like this is no general MC thing :) Perhaps I should consider a clean install of Windows 8.1... (BTW: I'm wondering if there are times where Mac or Linux user thinking "Oh, it's time to do a clean OS install now??)

BUT: another day, some other dancing lessons and again crashes for me. This time I only had the kind of crashes where the sound keeps skipping. Bad impression for all the participant in my course.

The first two logs (JRiver Log 2014-06-27 19-53-08 and JRiver Log 2014-06-27 21-10-54) were crashes at the beginning of a song. It was added via double click to the end of playing now after the last song in playing now was played. MC is configured to add and play songs with double click.

The last crash log (JRiver Log 2014-06-27 21-20-50) was created after MC crashed at the end of the song, again with endless skipping the sound.

I use a a visualization which always starts when playback starts.

(I'll delete the attached logs after a day or so. Privacy rules ;))

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:49 pm »

Antivirus.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »

The logs look promising, I'll try to dig into them next week, thanks for sharing!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:30:51 am »

Yes I indeed was thinking about AntiVirus, too. I till now didn't get the time to investigate this. JRiver (and most of my Media Content folder) is already set to be excluded from all real time AV actions and firewall restrictions. I'll perhaps deinstall it tomorrow to give it a try.

Thanks Hendrik! If I get a crash without the AV tomorrow, I'll perhaps add this log.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 03:51:15 am »

(BTW: I'm wondering if there are times where Mac or Linux user thinking "Oh, it's time to do a clean OS install now??)

On Linux, never. Unless I want to try something different.

But you gotta ask yourself whether that's a reason to switch. By itself, I don't think so.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »

I deinstalled my AV/Firewall for one day. Still crashed. The log is attached. Now I'll hurry up to reinstall my AV...

On Linux, never. Unless I want to try something different.

But you gotta ask yourself whether that's a reason to switch. By itself, I don't think so.
Thanks for your assessment.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:51:59 am »

I deinstalled my AV/Firewall for one day. Still crashed. The log is attached. Now I'll hurry up to reinstall my AV...
Thanks for your assessment.

I fixed the issue that caused the crash in your log, thanks for reporting!
For the record, all the logs showed a crash in the same spot, which is fixed now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up