INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the new Remotes board  (Read 12221 times)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
Welcome to the new Remotes board
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:50 am »

Hey guys, Robert from JRemote here.

I have been on vacation for the last month, so sorry about not being active on the forum.
From now on I will be handling this new board for all remote apps related to JRiver.

Please post any new questions and comments regarding JRemote, Gizmo and other third party remotes in this new forum area. These kind of threads are currently spread out all over the place, so the idea is to get them all in a centralized location.

All existing threads related to remotes will eventually be moved over here.

I am currently working on a few sticky threads for basic setup, connection issues and commonly asked questions.

Anyway, I would also like to take this opportunity to properly introduce myself now that I am part of the JRiver team. I am actually in Minneapolis visiting the guys right at this moment.

First I`d like to say that I am really happy to be in this position where I get to work closely with such talented guys.

A few words about myself. I am 37 years old and live in Norway, Europe. I live with my girlfriend and 4 year old boy just outside of Oslo.

For the last 20 years I have worked mainly on Web development using .NET and SQL servers.
However, through those years I have done a lot of other stuff including 3D, Video, Design and more recently, App development.

I consider myself a right/left brain kind of guy. I am not the most hardcore programmer, but I am equally interested in design and UX.

Initially at JRiver I will continue working on JRemote for iOS as well as the Android app.
The Android app may be rewritten from scratch, but that has not really been decided yet.

In addition I would like to look at branding, skins etc. related to presentation.

Jim is pushing me to learn C++ so that I can contribute on the Media Center code. I have started
learning the language. So yeah, that might be a bigger part of my job later on.

fridden

• Recent member
Re: Welcome to the new Remotes board
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:28:01 pm »

Great news Robert and thanks for the introduction, it's really nice to see you on the JRiver team!

Best regards
Fridden
Sweden

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »

It's nice to know more details about yourself Lespaul, you're also a very talented guy and I'm happy you joined JRiver.

Perhaps JRemote should stop being a remote and add local file playback/offline cache from server. You could then change it's name to JRiver Media Center for iOS.  Would be so nice :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Hilton

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:04 pm »

Great to see the JRiver team get such a bright talent more deeply involved in the business!

I too would love to see a local or cache playback capability like Spotify currently do, and the ability to connect to other DLNA sources.

Very much looking forward to the tighter integration and your influence on UI, particularly theatre view touch mode. 
JRemote just works the way I want to us it, the UI is lovely to use and nice to look at.  It's my favourite App.
Not asking for much... but a larger touch tile mode for use in the car would also be fantastic! ;)
We're a demanding bunch that are never satisfied though!

Welcome Robert!

Castius

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:29:22 am »

It great to have someone taking on this task. I have not had the pleasure of using jremote. But I've seen and heard so many good things. That I'm certain the new development is in good hands.
From my experience with all the other media apps. This is the one area jriver was lacking and falling behind quickly. So it's great to see such a strong focus on this development.

Good luck and thanks in advance.
Scott

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:42:42 am »

Excellent stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you get on in the Android world.

If you're getting into C++, this might be worthwhile keeping in mind:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/c-compiler-android
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »

Welcome Robert.

I think that JRemote was really a boost to MC, and hope that you have a blast developing it further. I know of at least 20 people that were convinced to even look at MC only because of JRemote. (grin)

Best wishes,

-Paul

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:47:37 pm »

That's got to be cool living in Norway....but, then again, I live in Florida and other folks think that's cool. Welcome aboard! (I feel funny saying that since I'm a newbie)

I have only been using JRiver for a little under 2 years, but in that amount of time it has grown exponentially better, an audio/video enthusiast's dream. What can be more fun for family and friends at home?

I am glad this new Remotes board is underway.....having clearly structured/updated help threads such as those posted by you in the last few days will be very helpful (already have been for me). I'm sure they are a very small piece of your future contributions behind the scenes. Tech support through these forums is excellent, the most positive and responsive owner/user group ever (but you know that).
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:37 pm »

... Tech support through these forums is excellent, the most positive and responsive owner/user group ever (but you know that). ...
Thanks for saying so.

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:46 am »

Congratulations, Robert, and welcome aboard!  I'll just echo what others have said:  JRemote is an integral part of the whole JRiver Media Center experience for me, and was a key differentiator in helping me make the decision to purchase :)

Glad you're now an official part of the team.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:52 am »

Thank you for the kind words guys, really appreciate it:)

gworrel

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:27 pm »

Just now seeing this thread and very pleased to see someone with your talents on the JRiver staff.

I've always been a PC, and more recently an Android, user, but I picked up a used Ipad just to see what all the fuss was about. Not really blown away. I am way too comfortable in Chrome and was very disoriented on the iPad. JRemote is the only app I have bought for the iPad based on the glowing reviews. Very nicely done.

It is good to see that JimH recognized the value in adding someone of your design skills to the team. UI has been an area of frequent contention and critique so I look forward to seeing your input. I have been involved in software development and I think it is difficult for someone who is more of a pure programmer (not referring to anyone in particular here) to recognize the value in time spent on the usability, look, and feel of the program.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »

Very appropriate marriage here , thanks to all. I would like to see rudiments of the MC somehow incorporated to Remote. First up, most listen to static loaded JR thru our IOS device, it would be nice to create and augment playlists "on the fly", to the library via Remote.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »

Hi,

I am wondering if this is now the place to make feature requests?  After using JRemote and MC 19 for about 2 years now, I have two features I would very much appreciate being added to JRemote.

1)  The ability to delete albums.  I often load whole albums, sometimes many of them.  I may not listen to all them immediately and then have to delete the individual tracks after listening to a particular album.  LINN's Kinsky has this feature.  You can change the settings in such a way that you have an option to delete only one track at a time, or entire albums.  When set to album display it will only show album art for the first track in the album if the tracks are grouped together in the playlist.  I can send a screenshot to illustrate.  This is a very handy feature.

2) The ability to select an entire album for playback when a search is based a particular artist, composer, etc in a compilation album.  So, for example, if I search on Beethoven and the search identifies one of his pieces on a compilation album that features other composer's work, JRiver shows me only the composition composed by Beethoven.  This is good and often the desired result of such a search.  However, sometimes I may want to hear the rest of the album and it would be good if the option was presented along with the one Beethoven piece on the album.  MinimServer has this feature and it works really well with LINN's KINSKY remote.  Once again, I can send a screenshot to illustrate.

Those two features would really improve JRemote.  I have had these features for many years when using KINSKY with one of LINN's PCM DAC's and a NAS running MinimServer.  I now have a MCH DSD capable DAC with a computer running MC 19 pointed at the same NAS.  MC 19 with JRemote is superior to both KINSKY and MinimServer, but I miss these two features.

Paulver4

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:06 am »

Welcome,sir,

I'm now the proud ownerof the J River Media center (v.21)  but as I downloaded JRemote earlier on my Ipad (v.4) I don't succeed  in accessing my server
though I give in the new code! Have to download JRemote again (newer version ? ) or could you give me a better solution?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:00 am »

Instructions are on this board.

Old iPads won't work.

MoPac

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 10:53:10 pm »

iPad 2 with JRemote
 Don't know if this info gets to the developer of this control point app, but here I go anyway.  Love the app, but would like to see one quirk addressed.  When I touch the album cover to show the large, full screen album art it never changes when a track with different album art starts playing.  Would it be possible to change that large cover art, real time, when there is an album change?  The art looks great when on that screen.  It just never changes.
   Thanks, Rich

PaulKavsek

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 06:54:12 am »

Its my first contact with this forum and I like to see that there is this new place that deals with subjects on the remote stuff.
I am using JRiver now for 2 years and I use the JRemote software on iPad, iPhone and android as well.

Generally spoken all works very well and I am quite happy with it. Nevertheless I have two things to report because they are important to me.

One:
The remote app is not always in sync with the JRemote application on my PC. Sometimes I miss songs on an album that are visible on the PC.
I found out that whenever to an existing album there are changes made lateron (e.g. I added a song later ) the PC dows not report this to the remote app.
In that case I would really like to have a refresh functionality on the app itself. Reinstalling the app is to my knowledge the only way to get the two in sync again.

Two:
I really miss a view where I can see all the songs of an artist in one single list grouped by album.
What I have to do in that case is to click on every album of that artist and open it, so looking for a song can be a lot of clicking.
Maybe I am missing something, but I did not find a way to solve this. Especially on iPhone it is a problem because there is no other way to search for a single song directly.

Regards
Paul

herbert73

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »

hi
thats my first blog in this forum, so sorry for eventually wrong settled request;

when using the jremote app in the playing mode screen (see http://a5.mzstatic.com/eu/r30/Purple5/v4/f9/9c/87/f99c8714-bf04-8f4b-e155-9cae63e0d09d/screen322x572.jpeg)

it would be fine if there would be also the possibility (as on pc)
to use the "locate" function to switch to artist,genre,album etc. of the actual played track

thanks

jfortune06

Hauppauge 2250 WMC Remote
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 08:37:11 am »

Is there a way to get the WMC remote that is included with the Hauppauge 2250 to work with JRiver?
It seems that basic buttons like channel up / down and volume up / down work but none of the others like TV guide work.
This uses an IR sensor which connects directly to the hauppauge card and runs an app called WinTV Remote Controller.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Hauppauge 2250 WMC Remote
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 09:32:22 am »

Is there a way to get the WMC remote that is included with the Hauppauge 2250 to work with JRiver?

Under Options - Remote is where you can set up and learn the buttons on your remote. I use that receiver on one of my PCs and it works great. Be aware that WMC can steal some remote commands if not disabled. You can Disable Windows Media Center under Options - Theater View - Behavior.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up