INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center encountered errors..  (Read 1741 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Media Center encountered errors..
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:45 am »

Everytime I import new flacīs into my library I get the message: "Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only and are not in use by another program".

I then have to use "take ownership" on the folder and if I look in properties the little square next to read-only is filled. There is not an x but it is filled total. (I think it means all files in the folder are read-only?). I then unmark that and then it will work to attach the cover art. But when looking into properties again it will look the same. The square is marked the same way again - not an x but filled.

It is very annoying and has not been that way always. If I look into the expolorer the folder where all my flac files are (library) is marked with a padlock on the icon. I guess it means the whole library is read-only? This is nothing I have chosed myself... what can I do to avoid this message and the extra work I have everytime I import something to the library?

If I uncheck the whole librart read-only it will still remain as a read-only library. I sthat normal?
JRiver for music

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Media Center encountered errors..
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:47 am »

Ignore that Read-Only flag.

Look under the Security tab.  You want to make the D:\JRiver Music folder have access permissions for your user ID.  Setting permissions is complex in Windows, and is complicated by what permissions model you are using.  Do a Google search on windows 7 permissions for some help here.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Captor

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »

MrC
I have full control of the folder. I have change user thought to Administrator. See if that help but I think not because I had full control before the change to Administrator as well.
JRiver for music

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »

If you create objects outside of that folder, and they have specific permissions, when you move them, they won't inherit the permissions of the parent folder.  You have to force them to have those permissions.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Captor

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13:34 pm »

MrC
OK, maybe that is the problem then. These are flac files i find on internet. But on the other hand thay use to be that way all of them. And that sounds strange. However I will try again with the new setting about using admnistrator as user. I let you know..
JRiver for music

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:19 pm »

If your OS is Windows 8.1 Pro (and probably standard version as well) that Read-Only box when you first bring up the securities tab is not the culprit.  It's W8's paranoia.  What you need to do first thing is set the directory containing those files to shared on the local system (not network), and make the accessible by all users.  Sometimes, if you try making changes to files in that directory first, you will need to first make the directory shared, and then do the same for each file below it that is still holding on.

So whenever dealing with the issue, make sure and mark the directory first.  Unless files added to that directory were also created within a protected directory somewhere else, moving new ones in place should work fine.

So I've found by trial and error.

Captor

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:45:18 am »

Dear bblue
I do not have windows 8. Still struggling with windows 7 :-)
Maybe there is the same issue? I will for sure turn around every stone.
Thanks!
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up