INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 7033 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Nostalgia
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:20 am »

I'm having fun  ;D

I bought an old record player for 10 bucks. Needle and belt were shot, 12 bucks for a belt, 20 for a new needle. It's a Marlux MX66, which basically is a rebranded CEC. quite a good player but with a crappy cartridge, but that doesn't ruin the fun for me.

Yesterday I ran into Elton John Live in New York 17-11-70 and The Shadows for 1 buck each. I wasn't familiar with that Elton John record, its actually a very good performance. I don't like the Shadows.

Today, I ran into a brand new fresh advertisement, someone selling 3 boxes stuffed to the rim with 70's/80's rock albums. That must be lik 150 albums total. He asked 30 euros, I offered him 20 and he agreed but only if I come pick them up right away - they were in the way and he was sick of moving the boxes around  :o. Friend of mine picked them up for me, I'll go pick them up over the weekend. I have no idea what it is exactly, my friend had a random look and told me not to worry ;). I'll post some pics when I get them. I can't wait :P.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:51:48 am »

Buddy sent me a pic of the boxes:

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »

Yeah! Good one. All my vinyl, 12 and 7 inch (no 78's) are in boxes up in the loft, alongside other boxes that have all my CDs. I'm not ready to part with any of them yet.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:07:11 pm »

Never do that mate, don't part with it. I only know people who regret doing that, no one I speak to ever admitted not regretting it.

I've always been very impulsive and one day I decided that I should ditch all my vinyl because, you know, we had CD's. Not that I believe vinyl is better (I don't) but that doesn't mean you should ditch it either.

I'm having a blast with just 2 albums, and one of them sucks too haha! What's cool too is that when I came home with the player is that my son got all excited and said, Dad! Did you just buy a record player? I was surprised and asked him, how do you know that is a record player? He's only 11 years, I never had one in his lifetime.Turns out one of his friends' dad has one and his friend explained to him how it worked. He asked me if I had records to play and told him no, I need to buy some. He wanted to come along and buy one for himself too. He picked the shadows album. He asked me how he should handle it placed it on there and pulled the lever. When it played he watched it spin for a second and ran off. I can't blame him its not my favorite either haha!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:44:40 am »

Yeah! Good one. All my vinyl, 12 and 7 inch (no 78's) are in boxes up in the loft, alongside other boxes that have all my CDs. I'm not ready to part with any of them yet.

Be careful.  My folks left theirs in the loft and the heat up their caused them all to warp to the point of being unplayable.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:44 am »

Seriously? I never thought of that at all, and they've been up there at least ten years now, if not longer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add them to my list of things to do, along with sourcing a record player.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:54 am »

Bought my first new vinyl today since I don't know, 30 years or so? Double album from Dream Theater, 180 gram. Came with a download coupon for a FLAC version of the album too. Also bought Jason Molina Songs: Ohia.

I've started going through the 3 boxes of old vinyl today. Had to buy a cleaning set as they have not been handled very carefully. Some are full of sticky stuff, finger prints and some are just scratched. Some are in bad shape like they've used grinding paper on them  ?. Quite a few though are in mint condition too.

Some really nice albums, Tusk - Fleetwood Mac, Running on Empty - Jackson Browne, several from Sting, Lee Riteour, oldie from James Taylor, several from Elvis Costello, Simple Minds, Linda Ronstadt,Meat Loaf, Al Jarreau.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:57 am »

So that old turntable turned out to be crap. I bought a new one:
http://www.privatebits.net/20140707_175048.jpg

Sl1210MK2 in mint condition. I have a new headshell on order and I'll replace the cartridge with something else.

I'll make a shelf on the wall for the table to sit on.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »

Careful, you will end up with a Pinball Machine next!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »

We had plenty of those back in the days. My dad use to buy the old and broken ones and fix them up. At some point we had like 6 in the house. I remember we got our first "digital" one. Very cool  8).

Anyways. TT sounds very good! Borrowed some cartridges from a friend to try out and ended up with a Satin M117G, high output MC cart. sound is great! I may even end up preferring some of that old vinyl over the CD versions ;).

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »

Just obtained this beauty and have it hooked up to a Pioneer SX3800, that dad had originally purchased, and was in need of a little TLC. After about $8 in some caps, diodes and transistors the pioneer is doing really well. It has an awesome phono stage and the Hitachi HT-550 sounds great!

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:44 am »

That is a really nice looking table! Congrats!

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 03:43:58 pm »

That Hitachi is beautiful! I have relatively new Rega P25. Relatively means about 15 years old.

I'm not author of the video and it is not my turntable but model and colour is the as in video. I have wonderful Audio Technica AT33PTG MC cart installed on it. Some records indeed are better than CD but just because of mastering. No digital compression used on old records.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwG0frt9W8

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 04:21:44 am »

That Hitachi is beautiful! I have relatively new Rega P25. Relatively means about 15 years old.

I'm not author of the video and it is not my turntable but model and colour is the as in video. I have wonderful Audio Technica AT33PTG MC cart installed on it. Some records indeed are better than CD but just because of mastering. No digital compression used on old records.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwG0frt9W8

I bought an Audio Technica 150MLX for my Technics TT. Vinyl definitely sounds better (depending on how you define "better") than CD when the mastering is the same. I've been comparing several albums from which I'm quite certain are the same mastering and which source is analogue. I don't think the difference is due to CD being digital though, I think it has more to do with the DAC and analogue path than anything else. Probably a better CD player or DAC would do the trick.

I've been collecting albums from 2nd hand stores, about 140 albums are sorted, cleaned and checked. About 75 albums left to do.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:04 am »

Upgrade! At least in esthetics :P. They are pretty rare. I'm picking it up this afternoon.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:46:19 am »

My father ripped his entire jazz collection to MP3 and then junked the collection, ffs!

Gutted doesn't begin to describe my reaction.

Enjoy the nostalgia. It's inspirational. I'm going to get my Father to list his collection and take it from there.

Thanks.. ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 06:23:50 am »

Please share the list.  I play a lot of jazz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up