INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename Move & Copy Files function  (Read 1491 times)

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
Rename Move & Copy Files function
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:46:37 am »

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me out with the 'Rename Move & Copy Files' function.  I am trying to rename and move an album from location A to location B on a hard drive.  Within the Rename Move & Copy Files menu i have selected 'Rename (moves files if directory changes)' option from the drop down.

I've also chosen the Base Path, to be the location i wish the files to be moved to.

Under the preview window the 'Original' and 'New' file paths look ok.  Additionally, once i select 'OK' they actual file path listed for each audio file JRiver changes to the new file path.

However, the actual files themselves do not relocate or rename.  Basically the just remain in the file location they were.  Subsequently the file path listed in JRiver is then incorrect as the files have not moved.

Can anyone help me understand what i am doing wrong?  It is likely that i have misunderstood this function, however i cannot find any information that is clear to me.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename Move & Copy Files function
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:13:57 am »

Reading your post, it all appears to be OK. My first thought was....

Do you have anything in the 'rule' field? It's not strictly required, but, Imagine you were moving two albums....

"Base path" should have the common part of the new address, C:\Music\ for example, and the rule will take care of the rest of the path, say, [artist]\[album]\ and this should work on all selected files. [artist] and [album] being tokens that MC translates using the tags in the library for those files.

Additionally, you have not reported receiving any errors from MC regarding the completion of the move, suggesting MC believes it's all good too.

Is there anything special about location A or B that might affect this?

-marko.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:27:11 am »

In cases like these I use the find/replace e.g.

Find: C:\Sound
Replace: \\NAS\\Sound

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 05:22:43 am »

Firstly

My apologies, i actually took a screen but forgot to post it.

Here are the setting i used:

And here is what changed in MC

As you can see, the directory that MC is referencing is correct.  However, the files themselves remain in the original location.

In cases like these I use the find/replace e.g.

Find: C:\Sound
Replace: \\NAS\\Sound

Thanks Vincent.  I did actually consider this, but in my mind the solution above 'should' work as a primary option, thus making the Find/Replace option unnecessary.  I guess i will need to use your suggestion as a last resort.  The downside as i see it is that if i were to change the naming structure of the files in my entire library, it would require me to duplicate the library twice, which may be time consuming (please correct me if i am wrong.  I'm trying to learn as i go.  This program is like a Pandora's box, in a good way).

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:20:13 am »

At first glance, this all appears to be OK, but closer scrutiny prompts more questions...

File names should be unique, but in pic 1, the four files have identical paths and names, which cannot be correct.
Any idea what might be going on there?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:02:13 am »

The downside as i see it is that if i were to change the naming structure of the files in my entire library, it would require me to duplicate the library twice

Don't see why this should be the case.
One changed something on path/file and if this requires moving the file, it will be moved (well, not in your case :)  )

Skullmonkee

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:13:26 am »

Well

I guess ill just have to work around this problem.  Thanks for all the help.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:27 am »

At first glance, this all appears to be OK, but closer scrutiny prompts more questions...

File names should be unique, but in pic 1, the four files have identical paths and names, which cannot be correct.
Any idea what might be going on there?

Did you get to the root (pardon the pun) of the filename question?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

Well

I guess ill just have to work around this problem.  Thanks for all the help.

No!  There should be no working around this problem.  the rename/move/copy works great, i move files every single day using this and there's no reason to think it needs a workaround.

i'm staring at your pictures and everything looks fine, i can't see why it isn't working.  and it sounds like the library has pointed to the new location as well.  could this possibly be an admin/rights issue on your computer (can you read/write to your drive)?   Also as marko mentioned, it looks like all four files have the identical name?  that could be a problem...
Pages: [1]   Go Up