INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best settings for HD Audio Files  (Read 2907 times)

Denon82

• Recent member
Best settings for HD Audio Files
« on: July 04, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »

If I play back a 96/24 FLAC file for example, I want to hear it at the best possible quality. My setup consists on an HTPC running JRiver 18, hooked up via HDMI to my Denon 1912 AVR.

My best guess is using WASAPI in JRiver, and then Direct Mode on my AVR? Bypassing any AVR settings I have. Is this correct? Unfortunately I don't like the sound that's coming through, compared to when I enable the audyssey multi EQ settings. Which makes me feel like I'm liking the "fake" sound better.

toddrhodes

Re: Best settings for HD Audio Files
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:55 am »

I have a Denon 988 receiver (pulling this off the top of my head, got it used on Amazon a few moons ago) and I output from my nVidia HDMI to the Denon and let the Denon sit there in PureDirect mode so I get 2 channel (not Pro-Logic II) when I'm playing 2 channel and I get "multi channel in" on the receiver when I play a movie. I use WASAPI out of course. My Denon is just a pre/pro, I route out to a separate 5 channel amp for the main 5.1, I guess the Denon powers my 2 rear surrounds for a true 7.1 setup so I guess it isn't entirely just a pre/pro.

In any event, the SQ is fantastic in this setup when I play a PCM rip of SACD, 24-bit FLAC, etc... FWIW, I have Audyssey turned off but will start dabbling in REW here soon as I have everything I need to get going on that, just lacking some knowledge and understanding. There is nothing "wrong" with liking the sound with DSP influences like Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, etc... Those function as correction for phase anomalies, time alignment issues that a tape measure can't fix, and, to some degree, room modes. They WILL improve the sound. They do not work like the DSP settings of "Concert Hall" or "Jazz Club." I guess my point is - if YOU like the sound, who cares how it got to that point? Most people would not like perfectly flat response in a dead room. Music needs soul and character, not just proper room setup.

HTH,
Todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up