INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aftermarket soundcard  (Read 2644 times)

vcrpro3

• Recent member
Aftermarket soundcard
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »

As my subject line states: What is a decent discreet soundcard that is currently available to output analog 5.1/7.1 decoded surround audio formats to a quality power amp? I do not plan to use an AVR in this setup.

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Aftermarket soundcard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:35 am »

Do you literally need a "Soundcard" internal to PC or just device to output 5.1? Personally I would be looking at an external device "DAC" to get it out of noisy PC environment. Sorry no direct experience with external for surround sound purposes.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

MrGlasspoole

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »

For somebody like me who does not believe in snakeoil and RCA cables that are handmade by
virgins at full moon, a ASUS Xonar Essence ST + H6 is good enough.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:58 pm »

I'm a firm beleiver in measurement-based audio testing, and I can confirm that depending on your computer environment and speaker setup an internal card (even one like the ST) can be a hit or miss affair.  

I happen to own an Asus ST and H6, and I can tell you that the card is not particularly well-isolated from electrical noise inside PCs, such that when I started using it to drive power amps, I got really dramatic (and measurable) static out of my speakers when nothing was playing.  As in crunchy variable-pitch whining loudly audible from six feet away (most noticeable during quiet parts of music or when nothing was playing, but sometimes even audible over the music).  It would change volume and pitch based on hard drive and cpu activity.  Changing which molex power connector the card was connected to inside the PC changed the volume of the noise, but even with the "best" molex it was still quite loud.

To be fair to the card, the Asus was hooked directly to the inputs of a power amp and the speaker it was connected to was extremely sensitive (113 dB/1W), but if it had been performing anywhere near its rated SNR (124dB) there would have been no audible noise whatsoever.  I know that it was not an issue with the card itself, as in another computer system that I use for testing, hooked up to the same speakers, the exact same Asus card had a much quieter, but still audible, noisefloor. Hooked up to much less sensitive speakers in a more hospitable computer, the ST is actually quite nice and I still use it. 

Which means the card is just not very well isolated from electrical noise.  Depending on your computer or your planned uses, it may not be an issue for you, but there's no way to know until you plug it in.  After trying multiple internal cards with the first "noisey" computer (without success), I tried several external DACs and all of them (even the quite cheap Fiio E7) outperformed the Asus in terms of noisefloor, which should not have been the case based on the rated specs.

@OP There was a recent thread that might be of interest to you, where this question was discussed (to include the Asus ST): http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90593.msg622329#msg622329

For a high quality 7.1-capable external DAC, I can personally recommend the Steinberg UR824; others on the forum have been quite happy with the Focusrite 18i20.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:51 am »

I own 2 Asus Essence ST's, one used with H6 board. The one with the H6 board was used in my old HTPC with Asrock H66 mobo with an Antec Earthwatt (green) PSU, it worked fine and had no interference whatsoever. It was deadquiet.

My own PC had a MSI P67 mobo and an Antec CP-850 PSU. It was quiet too. The MSI board got replaced with an Asus motherboard and since I've been having interference from moving windows or just moving the mouse around. Very annoying.

A USB card could be a solution, but read this thread and you'll learn that USB devices can suffer from interference as well.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:08 am »

I own 2 Asus Essence ST's, one used with H6 board. The one with the H6 board was used in my old HTPC with Asrock H66 mobo with an Antec Earthwatt (green) PSU, it worked fine and had no interference whatsoever. It was deadquiet.

My own PC had a MSI P67 mobo and an Antec CP-850 PSU. It was quiet too. The MSI board got replaced with an Asus motherboard and since I've been having interference from moving windows or just moving the mouse around. Very annoying.

A USB card could be a solution, but read this thread and you'll learn that USB devices can suffer from interference as well.

I agree that USB is not without it's faults; one buying tip I'll offer is that USB DACs that draw power from the USB port are (IME) by far the worst offenders.  A device that draws it's power directly from the computer's MoBo (albeit through the USB port) is not necessarily going to have better electrical isolation just because it happens to be outside the chassis. If it's designed well it should be relatively insensitive to PC noise, but there are no guarantees.

FWIW, in testing a dozen or so DACs of various kinds, I've never personally gotten noticeable PC interference from USB DACs that have their own power supply (or even ones that have an internal battery working as a buffer like some of the Fiio's).  For me, it has always been the ones that are USB-powered that seem to be sensitive to what port they're plugged into, etc.  Most of the forum complaints I've seen have also revolved around USB-powered devices like the dragonfly (or the otherwise excellent ODAC).

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:10:11 pm »

New post moved to Soundcards section of Forum http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92374.msg635967#msg635967   Can't find a 'Delete' Post.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up