INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Recording bug in last 2 versions  (Read 2362 times)

pauly139

• World Citizen
TV Recording bug in last 2 versions
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:56:00 am »

In the last 2 versions of MC19 TV Recording has on occasions made 20 or 30 2 sec recordings of a program in addition to the one it should make, which is the length of the program concerned. So in the library I get 20 or 30 entries for the recording, with only one being the correct length. I haven't seen any pattern to when it does this, although it always does it to two recordings, so perhaps something to do with simultaneous recording of 2 different programs?

Anyone else seen this and have a solution?

Rgds
Paul

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV Recording bug in last 2 versions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:54 am »

Are the two programs on the same channel or different ones?  Do you record in TS or JTV?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:29:23 am »

Recording on 2 different channels using JTV format

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:55:22 pm »

I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Not sure if it will help, but next time when it happens, forward me a log.  yaobing at jriver dot com

What type of tuners do you use (ATSC, DVB, video capture from set top box, CableCARD, etc.)?  Do you use Theater view or standard view to schedule recordings?

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

Using LeadTek WinFast DTV2000 2 channel tuner card in standard view. I'll forward a log next time it happens.

Rgds
Paul

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:29 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the log.  I do see something strange in the log file.  It appears that you had scheduled more recordings than your tuners can handle.

You have two tuners (correct?), and at one time there were four recordings competing for the tuners.  At that moment two programs were already recording.  When a new scheduled recording came along, it kicked existing recording off the device. 

Did you assign different priorities to different recordings?  Recordings with higher priority would force those of lower priority to stop.  If you did not assign different priorities, then something that should not have happened happened.

Yaobing

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:19 pm »

Hi Yaobing

Yes I have a tuner card with 2 channels.

From memory no different priorities would have been assigned. However even if there were, shouldn't there have been shorter recordings for those that were dropped off, and then the higher priority recordings, as opposed to the many 2 sec recordings of the same programs?

The other point of interest is that only 2 programs had lots of small recordings, so the other 2 recorded ok.

Rgds
Paul

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »

Hi Yaobing

Yes I have a tuner card with 2 channels.

From memory no different priorities would have been assigned. However even if there were, shouldn't there have been shorter recordings for those that were dropped off, and then the higher priority recordings, as opposed to the many 2 sec recordings of the same programs?

The other point of interest is that only 2 programs had lots of small recordings, so the other 2 recorded ok.

Rgds
Paul

I have finally figured this one out.  There is indeed a bug in the program.  The bug shows up under the following situation:

1. There are more recordings (at least 2 more) than there are tuners.  You had four recordings for two tuners.
2. One (or more) of the recordings is at lower priority.  I believe you had one of such (which might have been canceled, but that did not matter).
3. The other recordings are at the same priority, and there are still more of these recordings than there are tuners (you had 3 such recordings, but only 2 tuners).

This will be fixed in an up-coming build.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:53:03 pm »

Build 19.0.158 is available now.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 11:12:44 am »

You have two tuners (correct?), and at one time there were four recordings competing for the tuners.  At that moment two programs were already recording.  When a new scheduled recording came along, it kicked existing recording off the device. 
If the behavior of the program is a) consistent, and b) documented, then the above is fine.

However, I should mention that most DVRs work differently.  When they are about to start a recording, they first check if the tuner will be needed for a higher priority recording during any point during the recording.  If so, then they do not even start the recording.

The reason for this is that some TV programs are shown more than once.  A half recording will look like the program was successfully recorded and then the "timer" will not record the later showing when tuners are free.   And the half recording also gives the human the impression that it was successfully recorded, when it was not.   And it uses disk space for an unusable half recording.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:13 pm »

If the behavior of the program is a) consistent, and b) documented, then the above is fine.

No, the behavior was not intended.  I was just describing what I saw from your log.

The issue should have been fixed in build 19.0.158.  If not please let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up