INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best DSP settings for creating MP3 conversions for use on the road?  (Read 1176 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I am aiming to use MC 19 to create MP3 conversions of FLAC files ripped from classical CDs. These MP3s are for use in my car, where road noise totally obscures quiet passages in a recording with very wide dynamic range (as is common with classical music).

I have therefore run some test conversions using DSP settings of Volume Levelling and Adaptive Volume, with the latter being set to Night Mode. I've not yet had the time to go for a drive and listen to my chosen test recording (the first movement of Shostakavich's "Leningrad" symphony), but if I find that the amount of audio compression is still not enough where would I go from there? Have I chosen the best DSP settings for this purpose?

David 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Best DSP settings for creating MP3 conversions for use on the road?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:00:34 am »

If you want more audio compression, you would pick a slightly lower quality MP3 for the conversion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:16:50 am »

If you want more audio compression, you would pick a slightly lower quality MP3 for the conversion.

Just to make myself clear, I may need to compress the dynamic range to a greater extent. I have no need for a smaller file size (and would prefer not to reduce the audio quality).

Are you saying I can't compress the dynamic range without also reducing audio quality?

David

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:17 am »

The only way to compress the dynamic range is with Adaptive Volume.  Put it in Small Speaker Mode and it'll compress quite a bit.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:10 am »

Does Small Speaker Mode offers a more aggressive flattening of the dynamic range than Night Mode?

David

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:02 am »

Does Small Speaker Mode offers a more aggressive flattening of the dynamic range than Night Mode?

Small Speaker Mode is more aggressive than Night Mode.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:47 am »

OK, I'll give that a try if Night Mode proves insufficient. Thanks for the guidance.

Incidentally, I think it would be useful if someone could update the Wiki with a bit more explanation of the differences between the Adaptive Volume modes. The Wiki simply repeats the extremely brief descriptions given in the dialogue box.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up