INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing partial tracks or skipping them all together  (Read 2404 times)

pchirayath

• Recent member
Playing partial tracks or skipping them all together
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:27 am »

Good afternoon all, I am running 10.0.144 on a 2014 Mac Mini with 500G standard HD, 2.5 I5 and 16G of memory with Mavericks 10.9.4. No other applications are running as this is primarily a music server. It has not been stripped down, the OS is in standard config. Blue Tooth and WiFi are off. All media is on a WD 4T Thunderbolt external drive running RAID 0 (disk clone so there is 2G available). The output is sent to a Sonore Rendu (also 2014) with no software up sampling. JRiver has been working fine for the past several months but recently I have noticed that it is playing only partial tracks before going to the next (which it will play completely) or skipping tracks all together. Initially I thought it was a bad file but when JRiver was unloaded and iTunes loaded, all tracks played without incident. I have roughly 17K tracks or 1.2T most either AIFF or MP3 320, very few FLAC, m4a or other files. Most tracks that are misbehaving are aiff but this is an observation not a tested theory.

Things tried to date:

Reboot
Repair disk permissions and reboot
Ensure that all file access on the local HD and the WD are correct
Delete and rebuild the JRiver library
Turn on and off the "play from memory" option

All this to no avail in fact it appears to be getting worse. I do not play with the configuration much as the systems plays music all day in my home office 24x7

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playing partial tracks or skipping them all together
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:20 am »

Hmmm... Would you be willing to send us some log files of when it skips songs?  They might be helpful.  Here's a link that explains logging.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

pchirayath

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:48:33 am »

Certainly and thank you

see attached

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:51:43 am »

There's a ton of network traffic.  Could you test with Options > General > Features > Media Network disabled?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pchirayath

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »

As instructed Matt, thanks

See attached

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:11:51 pm »

There's still a ton of network traffic in the log.  I'm trying to get that out, because it's possible there's a DLNA controller on the network someplace sending a next file command.

pchirayath

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 06:27:31 pm »

What can I do from my side to help? I do have other DLNA devices on the network (oppo 103D and Samsung LED) but they are off and on a different switch. The Rendu is on its own port on the AE (2014).

thank you

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »

Turn off all the DLNA features in Options > Media Network.

pchirayath

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »

Matt, your a genius. It appears to be fixed at this point though I have yet to re-enable everything.

procedure followed:

1. Turned off all features in Media Network; shut down the rendu - quit and restarted the program

When the offending example track was reloaded it played along with others via the Mac Mini internal speakers

2. Re-enabled "Use Medial network to share this library and enable DLNA;" quit the program and restarted - powered the Rendu back on

Working.

I will now go back through one by one and re-enable the other features I had and report the results back (please give me a little time on this).

Thanks for all your help

Paul

pchirayath

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:53 pm »

Update:

I have re-enabled the features as before and only had one problem, it began to skip on a song and locked up. A force quit and reboot and it has been smooth sailing since. As indicated before, the systems stays on 24x7 so this should be a good indicator of stability.

Thanks again

Paul

Now, if we could only get the album art problem solved... another post for another time
Pages: [1]   Go Up