INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art problem  (Read 1819 times)

Dunkinidaho

• Recent member
Cover art problem
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:32:35 pm »

Purchased MC19 because of reveiws from forums which stated it was a top notch place to rip, store, burn, inventory your music collection. I have found, after ripping about a dozen discs, that it is not what I was expecting. Either I don't know what I am doing, possible, or the folks who gave this program such rave reviews have very low expectations. So far Windows Media Center beats it hands down. The worst thing is the cover art. It is hit or miss. I have albums, say with 20 tracks. Half will show the correct cover art for each track but the other half will have a blue "note" instead. One album had the correct artist but the wrong album title for the tracks. There is basically no way to go online and select the correct cover art for any given album. I ripped 12 cd's so far. In my mind there should be 12 albums listed which when clicked on open to show the individual tracks within. This does not happen. Instead I have some 26 thumbnails of assorted titles. Only one album is correct. It has the correct cover art and when opened shows the correct tracks listed.

I haven't decided yet what I will do. If I receive no help in solving this I might just uninstall the program, wasting my money in the process, and go back to Windows Media Center.

Brian in Michigan

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: First impression, not at all what I expected
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:21 pm »

Hi Brian, I'm sure we will get you sorted.  Can you post a couple of screen shots so we can see the tracks?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:17 am »

Check the Artist and Album tags.  The ones that work probably have correct information there.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cover art problem
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:00 am »

There's a big entry in the Wiki on cover art along with a swag of Interact entries for follow up:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

I'd recommend you work through that detail if you haven't already.

A "long shot" thought that came to mind was that you could check the file properties and make sure that check boxes such as "Read Only" are cleared. It may explain why some files are showing art and the others aren't.

On a side note, I find your experience a bit of a surprise. I've not hassles along this line, so am at loss to fathom how this could be.

All the best getting the problem fixed.

Check the Artist and Album tags.  The ones that work probably have correct information there.
Refer here for guidance:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tags
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

52girl52

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:10:06 am »

Purchased MC19 because of reveiws from forums which stated it was a top notch place to rip, store, burn, inventory your music collection. I have found, after ripping about a dozen discs, that it is not what I was expecting. Either I don't know what I am doing, possible, or the folks who gave this program such rave reviews have very low expectations. So far Windows Media Center beats it hands down. The worst thing is the cover art. It is hit or miss. I have albums, say with 20 tracks. Half will show the correct cover art for each track but the other half will have a blue "note" instead. One album had the correct artist but the wrong album title for the tracks. There is basically no way to go online and select the correct cover art for any given album. I ripped 12 cd's so far. In my mind there should be 12 albums listed which when clicked on open to show the individual tracks within. This does not happen. Instead I have some 26 thumbnails of assorted titles. Only one album is correct. It has the correct cover art and when opened shows the correct tracks listed.

I haven't decided yet what I will do. If I receive no help in solving this I might just uninstall the program, wasting my money in the process, and go back to Windows Media Center.

Brian in Michigan
I've struggled with this same issue for a long time. The issue as I see is all in the online databases that each program uses. For ripping I go with the data that gives me the most correct information and go with that. After the fact (of ripping): the windows program can not compare to MC19 but each to his/her own devices.

First, pick either of the programs to start. With that program running, insert disc to be ripped. Use that disc as the original information source. Let (say MC19) the program research its database. Then YOU must decide if it correct enough for you. Several issues may come up (happens is all ripping style programs). First the artwork. Your disk may have been issued in 2001 but another copy of the same album may have been issued in 2009 with different artwork and it may have been issued by someone else. You may not be able to locate your artwork with the database so if you want your artwork YOU need to go find it, get a copy of it, and place it on your computer and upload to the database. Both programs will allow you do that. Then rip away. Even at that, either program will allow corrects after the fact.

Another issue, The database may: either NOT find the album to be ripped or its somehow in a bit of a mess (standard version VS a deluxe version of same title may be a problem). Couple of things to do. Fix the problem by entering the correct information before ripping or switch programs and try another database.

I online order all my music Cd's and I get many from overseas sources. Database information is scarce on a music disc released in say, only Holland or Germany. You must take charge and input the disc information or make corrections. Submit the corrections and artwork to the database (if you are sure your info is correct of course).

If your music is of various artists be sure the database you're using is so labeled. I've seen many that use the actual artist name in the column name instead of 'various artist' (also check the year, all entries must be the same in these columns). This will cause your program to create different folders on your computer for each artist entry (a mess you don't need).

Both programs will work for you but you must be diligent and correct the information if wrong. Artwork can be found, submitted and used. Assume nothing will be automatic, just look and correct as needed.

Dunkinidaho

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:40 am »

Hi Brian, I'm sure we will get you sorted.  Can you post a couple of screen shots so we can see the tracks?
Thanks
Nathan

I will attempt to post a screen shot but being 70 yrs old and not growing up with this technology it may be awhile

Dunkinidaho

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:04:08 pm »

There's a big entry in the Wiki on cover art along with a swag of Interact entries for follow up:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

I'd recommend you work through that detail if you haven't already.

A "long shot" thought that came to mind was that you could check the file properties and make sure that check boxes such as "Read Only" are cleared. It may explain why some files are showing art and the others aren't.

On a side note, I find your experience a bit of a surprise. I've not hassles along this line, so am at loss to fathom how this could be.

All the best getting the problem fixed.
Refer here for guidance:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tags

Please see my recent post. "JRiver vs WMP regarding cover art for issues that should be considered by the beta team
Pages: [1]   Go Up