INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matching Duplicates to a Particular Album  (Read 975 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Matching Duplicates to a Particular Album
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:00 pm »

I am sure that there is a way to do this, but I am crappy with expressions and there are some smart people here who might know a good shortcut.

I have been re-ripping and updating my music library, trying to get everything to 320k bitrate, the good news is that everything sounds great.  Except I still have a bunch of compilation CDs that I cannot find the original master CDs.  These are probably 10+ years old. Most are 2-3 CD sets and many contain the same music that I might have on other disks.  What I would like to find some expression that would look at a CD and then show me all the other times that those same songs show up in my collection.  For instance, Kinobe's "Slip into something more comfortable" is on Ministry Of Sound's Chillout Session 02, which I have at 192K, but I am sure it is on another album at 320.

If I could look at Chillout Session 02 and see that of the 60 songs, 55 are already on other CD's, I could just nuke the album.  Does anyone have an easy way of doing this analysis, short of doing a search on every song on a 60-track album, for each of the 50 or so albums?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Matching Duplicates to a Particular Album
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »

Other than using playlists (or maybe particles?) I'm not sure that there's a good solution for "virtual" albums.
I have often found that while the "same track" might exist on another album, it's often a different volume level or mastered differently - especially if it's on a compilation.
Ministry of Sound often fades one track into the next, so if you took it from another album, it might not fit in properly.

Considering that disk space is usually not a big problem for music storage these days, I just keep the "duplicate" tracks.

On a slight tangent, if you are going to the trouble of re-ripping from 192k to 320k, I'd suggest ripping to a lossless format (e.g. FLAC) instead, as that gives you a 1:1 copy of what's on the disc and you never have to think about ripping it again, if you decided that 320k wasn't good enough quality.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Matching Duplicates to a Particular Album
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:34:57 pm »

Not trying to create a "virtual" album.  But if something is low bit rate and 90% of the album exists in some other form somewhere in my collection, then I can just kill it instead of having it pop up in shuffles.

I thought about lossless, but I was already down the path with 320 and my stereo and other equipment will never be good enough to differentiate.  Today I can hear VERY subtle differences between 256 and 320. 90% of the time I am listening through a computer via desktop speakers. When I move to the new home office next week I'll have a stereo, but I am not an audiophile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up