INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19 can't find my NAS until...  (Read 2169 times)

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 19 can't find my NAS until...
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:35:18 pm »

This only occurs on my Mac side so I kept it here.  My PC side works perfectly.  All of my music files are on a Synology hard wired connected to various computers including my Mac.  If my Mac sleeps or is turned off MC looses the connection to my Nas.  The only way to get the connection back is to go to 'Finder' and open one of the folders on the Nas.  The Nas is always connected as a shared component.  I finally looked into file locations in MC and found originally that it was pointing to an old location so I changed it to look at my Nas location.  That doesn't work.  Only solution so far is to open a folder in my Music directory on the Nas and then everything is fine.  Of course, this never happens using iTunes as a database along with PureMusic but I really DO want to use MC..... Is there a fix..... solution?

Victor

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 19 can't find my NAS until...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:42 am »

We'll look into possible ways to auto-mount network drives for media in the library. 

In the meantime, this might be a work around for you:

1. In System Preferences, select Users and groups.
2. Select the "Login Items" Tab (make sure the padlock is open).
3. Click on the + sign in the lower middle section
4. Navigate to the NAS shared folder and click add.

Now your NAS will be remounted every time you login.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »

Thank you, John for the reply.  I'll try your workaround.....

Victor

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:41 am »

John,

Your suggestion really does help a lot.  As long as there is no 'lost' connection on my network I stay perfectly connected and am mounted upon login.

Thanks again....

Victor

clpetersen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:55:46 am »

Hello JRiver - I am having a similar issue, using a Time Capsule to store the music files. JRiver version 19 builds the library just fine, but cannot find the music once the system has gone to sleep and is re-awakened. Tried opening a file manually on the time capsule and re-launching JRiver, still the same result.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:29 am »

The Time Capsule is not designed to be a general Network Storage Device and should really not be used as such:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/25385340
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

clpetersen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:12 am »

Update: using the suggestion of John T (post of 17 July 2014) and that seems to be working fine at the moment (open time capsule files at login). --> > Needed to restart for this to 'stick'. <

Currently, JRemote is playing files to a DLNA Samsung TV. Working fine. Impressed.

>> I am going to switch to a dedicated mac mini for JRiver to gain flexibility and avoid spurious issues. Is their a good tutorial or tips and tricks on this? I want to run the mac-mini headless as much as possible and have it wake as needed from an iPad, etc.  Library will be stored on the mini and backed up to Time Capsule, everything hard-wired ethernet. Plan to edit/rip from the iMac.

For example, is it better to run OSX or OSW-server in this mode? 

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:48 am »

For example, is it better to run OSX or OSW-server in this mode?  

You'd probably run into fewer problems running regular OSX.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:24 am »

This discussion is probably worth reading:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88169.0

It was Windows focused, but a lot of the same stuff applies.

Other comments?  I don't know much of anything about waking a Mini from sleep using an iPad.  I don't have my server set to sleep (not really because of MC, but because of other programs that don't like it and bork up).  I'd say this much for sure: get it working well with sleep disabled on the Mini, and then turn it on and work to get it to reliably wake up.  WOL can be very challenging to set up right, and get through firewalls and whatnot, depending on your network setup.

So, start simple, and add things as you go.  I'd leave messing with sleeping and waking to a later phase.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up