INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artist Albums and Library Organization  (Read 2521 times)

wayneoh

• Recent member
Multiple Artist Albums and Library Organization
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »

Here is how I wish “multiple artist” albums could be handled within a JRiver Library:

(1)   When I open a given Library’s Album directory, I would like every Album (or every disc if it’s a multiple disc Album) that’s in that Library to be listed once and only once. In other words, whether a particular Album is associated with a single Artist or with multiple Artists (due to having different Artists for different tracks), that Album would only appear in the Album directory once. When any Album in the Album directory is clicked, each track in that Album would be listed and the Artist for each track would be indicated.

(2)   When I open a given Library’s Artist directory, I would like to see a listing for each and every Artist that is identified in the Album directory of that same Library. Each such Artist would be listed once and only once. When any Artist in the Artist directory is clicked, each Album associated with that Artist would be listed as well as the specific tracks on that Album that are associated with that Artist.  In my concept, nowhere in the Artist directory would there ever be a listing labeled “Multiple Artists”.

I am currently using 19.0.147. As near as I can tell and despite what seems to me to be very intuitive and about as simple as simple gets, there does not seem currently to be any way in JRiver to edit tags to accomplish what I’ve described above. If I am wrong and there is a way, can someone describe how to do it? If I am right and it can’t be done right now, are there any plans for a future release to make possible what I’ve described?

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

Change your Artist View (right click - Customize View) to use Artist instead of Album Artist (Auto).

wayneoh

• Recent member
Re: Multiple Artist Albums and Library Organization
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:44:43 pm »

Thanks Conner

wayneoh

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »

I’ve made some modifications to my library views and tags, but I am still not quite where I hoped to be. Since my last post …

I selected Artists>View>Customize View and removed everything except “Artist” and then I selected Albums>View> Customize View and removed everything except “Album”.

For every track in every album, I’ve made sure there is always a value assigned to every Album, Album Artist, Album Artist (auto) and Artist tag.

The value in my Album tags (which is album name) is always the same across all tracks in the album, and this is true whether the album is a “single artist” or a “multiple artists” album. In contrast, the “single artist versus multiple artists” distinction makes a difference when it comes to how I've edited Album Artist, Album Artist (auto) and Artist tags.

For a “single artist” album the value in the Artist tag (i.e., the name of the artist) is always the same across all tracks, but for a “multiple artists” album the value in the Artist tag varies by track with the name of the artist that’s associated with that particular track.

The value in the Album Artist and Album Artist (auto) tags is always the same across all tracks in any album, but when it’s a “single artist” album that value is the name of the artist whereas if it’s a “multiple artists” album then that value is something arbitrary and generic such as “multiple artists.” In my library, I’ve chosen to use the word “Compilation” for the Album Artist and Album Artist (auto) tags associated with all tracks on all my “multiple artists” albums.

These refinements in my library views and my tagging have produced exactly the results that I wanted when I use JRiver on my laptop; however, when I use the Gizmo app on my tablet the results are not quite the same – at least not with respect to the handling of the “multiple artist” albums.

When I access the Artist directory with Gizmo, “Compilation” shows up as one of the artists listed. When “Compilation” is selected, the result is a list of my albums that have multiple artists. When any of those albums is selected, the result is a list of the tracks on that album. In other words, when using Gizmo, the artist names associated with the individual tracks on my multiple artist albums are completely lost (which is not the case in JRiver itself).

Is there something that I can do differently so that the Artist and Album directories in Gizmo will behave the same as they do in JRiver or is what I’ve described here just something that’s due to a limitation in the Gizmo app for which there is no workaround at present?

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:57:13 pm »

Gizmo Views are configured separately.

Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Advanced -> Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo

Note, you may need to close and re-open Media Server (not just Media Center) before you see your changes in Gizmo.

wayneoh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

Conner, thanks again for your help! Everything now shows up in Gizmo just the way I wanted. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up