INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screensaver donīt start  (Read 4853 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Screensaver donīt start
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:45:20 am »

Hi
When i am playing music with JRiver 19 the windows screesaver donīt engage. Is there a fix for that? Or some setting I have to do? It is windows 7, 64 bit. otherwise the screensaver works fine when I use all the other program. Also XBMC which I use for watcing movies.
JRiver for music

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Screensaver donīt start
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:01 am »

The only disabling of the screen saver is in Theater View.

You can use powercfg from the command line to see what is keeping the screen saver from going on.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Captor

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:15:43 am »

Can you explain how to do?
JRiver for music

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »

Can you explain how to do?

In the command prompt, enter:

Code: [Select]
powercfg -requests

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:28 am »

The only disabling of the screen saver is in Theater View.

Perhaps the only "deliberate" disabling. But have something playing in Display View and then alt tab to the Windows desktop; the screensaver will never engage. This really annoys me and has caused long lasting image retention on my Plasma display.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:42:39 am »

What is the complete version number?

Captor

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:01:46 am »

Dear Stewart_pk
Right! It is exactly the xam for me!
But then sometimes it works just fine. Playing in Display view and screensawer engage. And also if alt tab to the windows desktop it engage there as well. And then other days it will not engage after JRiver started.
Jim, the version number is 19.0.146
And I have try to make powersfc but there was nothing. BUT that day the screensawer happen to work.
JRiver for music

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:46 am »

I can confirm that the screensaver never engages when Display View is used - but that seems like it is working as intended.

However, Media Center should probably not be disabling the screensaver when it is in Display View, but does not have focus.

This would require you to fix the long-standing bug that causes Media Center to lose focus when the "Move mouse to edges of screen for controls. Press Esc to exit." prompt is displayed on-screen though.

An option to only prevent the screensaver in Display View during playback might also be useful.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:22 am »

Screensaver should be disabled during video playback no matter is focused or not. Can easily envision some use cases where this is useful.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:40 am »

Screensaver should be disabled during video playback no matter is focused or not. Can easily envision some use cases where this is useful.
Yes, it should always be disabled during video playback, whether Media Center has focus or not. (and this is the current behavior)
By default, it should allow the screensaver/power saving to be enabled when video playback is paused; again, this is the current behavior.

Since I use an LCD though, I would actually like an option to prevent this from happening.
I would like the display to remain on if a video is paused and Media Center has focus, and turn off if it's paused in the background.

The issue here seems to be that audio playback in Display View, rather than video, is preventing the screensaver from being displayed.
Since it should not affect audio playback, I would agree that MC should allow the screensaver/power saving during audio playback in Display View, if it does not have focus. (assuming that the "disable display from turning off" option is not selected)

Captor

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 04:29:07 am »

I have never played video in MC. This happens when playing music. I use XBMC for that. And when using XBMC for video there is no problem with the screensaver. It engage when it shall and donīt engage when it shall not. Works perfect.
My Plasma screen has burn-in marks now thanks to JRiver.
JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 07:07:24 am »

My Plasma screen has burn-in marks now thanks to JRiver.
Please reserve judgment until you find the cause.   This hasn't been a problem in MC for a long time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 07:09:19 am »

You can use powercfg from the command line to see what is keeping the screen saver from going on.
Let us know when you learn something.

Captor

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:58 am »

Me? I thought that you will come up with some solution on this. I am not the expert on JRiver.
JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:33 am »

Powercfg should show you what is happening.

Captor

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 09:11:46 am »

OK, I will try that again.
JRiver for music

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:45 am »

Please reserve judgment until you find the cause.   This hasn't been a problem in MC for a long time.
MC is definitely blocking the screensaver/power saving when playing music in Display View, and unfocused. (alt-tab away from MC while it is playing)

As I said above, this should only happen with video, not music.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »

MC is definitely blocking the screensaver/power saving when playing music in Display View, and unfocused. (alt-tab away from MC while it is playing)

As I said above, this should only happen with video, not music.

Display View should always block the screen saver.  I think it's behaving correctly.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »

Display View should always block the screen saver.  I think it's behaving correctly.
It blocks the screensaver when any content is playing.
It doesn't block the screensaver when content is paused.  (I'd prefer that it did - at least if the "disable display from turning off" option is enabled)

I think it would be a good idea if it also allowed the screensaver while music is being played and Media Center does not have focus (which seems to be Captor's issue) if the "disable display from turning option" is not enabled.
If MC has focus, it should still block the screensaver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 01:57:35 pm »

The screensaver should be called, in my opinion, on pause.  Content could be paused for a long time. 

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »

The screensaver should be called, in my opinion, on pause.  Content could be paused for a long time.  
Shouldn't it follow the "disable display from turning off" setting?

I have an LCD so burn-in is not a concern, but it's a pain when it has turned off if I've paused a video and left the room for a few minutes. I always seem to be walking in right as the display turns off.

If it's left idle for too long (hours) the TV will switch itself off anyway.

stewart_pk

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »

Display View should always block the screen saver.  I think it's behaving correctly.

I disagree, it should only block the screen saver when it has focus. I'll take this to my grave.

stewart_pk

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:11 pm »

Please reserve judgment until you find the cause.   This hasn't been a problem in MC for a long time.

Refer above.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:21 pm »

I always seem to be walking in right as the display turns off.
Shouldn't you fix this by extending the time before the screensaver kicks in? Maybe it should follow the "disable display from turning off" setting, but it does have a different meaning. You may have a screen saver set up to display family pictures or something interesting when the PC is idle, but not want to disable the display from turning off after an extended period. While both a screensaver and power management turning off the screen can address image burn-in issues, they are different beasts.

I agree that a paused screen should allow the screensaver to start.

I also agree that if something is playing in Display View, but I Alt-tab away from that view, say to a Windows Explorer session that was in the background previously, then the screensaver should kick in as normal. I may Alt-tab to read the news on screen, then walk away for an extended period.

I do think MC does a pretty good job of managing power management and screensaver issues, but at this time I have all screensavers turned off and just use power management to sleep the HTPC when it isn't in use, for exactly the issues being discussed here.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:05 am »

Shouldn't you fix this by extending the time before the screensaver kicks in? Maybe it should follow the "disable display from turning off" setting, but it does have a different meaning. You may have a screen saver set up to display family pictures or something interesting when the PC is idle, but not want to disable the display from turning off after an extended period. While both a screensaver and power management turning off the screen can address image burn-in issues, they are different beasts.
You'd be right in thinking that would help, but any time I've tried below 30 minutes always seems to have it happen.

And setting it for longer and longer periods of time means that it takes much longer to sleep while on the desktop.

I only want to prevent the display from sleeping while a movie is paused, not at any other time.

I agree that a paused screen should allow the screensaver to start.
Again, there is a "Disable display from turning off" setting in Media Center - it's being ignored when video is paused.
All I'm asking is that this setting actually does something for video playback.

I also agree that if something is playing in Display View, but I Alt-tab away from that view, say to a Windows Explorer session that was in the background previously, then the screensaver should kick in as normal. I may Alt-tab to read the news on screen, then walk away for an extended period.
I agree that it should do this if music is playing. If video is playing, it should not.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 01:08:12 am »

Try using stop instead of pause.  When you press play, MC will start where it left off.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:26 am »

Without responding point by point, I think terminology is being mixed up a bit here.

A. Windows Power Management can;
1. Sleep the PC after a set period
2. Hibernate the PC after a set period
3. Turn off the Display after a set period. (As long as the monitor accepts power down commands, which most do these days. I know previous versions of Windows also had the ability to blank the Display if it didn't accept power down commands. I assume Windows 7/8 still does this.)

B. Your Display / Monitor / TV can (depending on hardware);
1. "Sleep" the display (blank the display, or in the case of some Plasma screens, turn the brightness way down)
2. Turn off, going into a Standby state.
Some hardware allows timeout intervals to be set, many don't.

C. A Windows or Third Party screensaver can;
Activate after a certain period of inactivity with no input from the user. A screensaver will display some moving image on the screen until there is user activity again.

Note that some hardware people talk about their product's screen saver capabilities, which I think fall into category B above.

Initially this thread, I thought, was talking about category C. Specifically, the Windows screensaver. But I guess the discussion about powercfg means everyone is thinking category A3. The "Disable display from turning off" setting would apply to category A3 I believe, and possibly prevent the category B functionality from activating?

So, to address the OP. If what is wanted is a screensaver that activates while music is playing, wouldn't the Windows or a Third Party screensaver as per category C do the job? Of course, it may activate when a movie is playing and there is no user input. Or does MC control the category C screensaver as well as the category A3 capability?

Heh, I probably just confused everybody. Sorry about that. But I've had my share of mixing up the different screen saver capabilities in PCs, so I thought I would seek to expand the discussion, or focus it just on one area. :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:46 am »

Try using stop instead of pause.  When you press play, MC will start where it left off.
That's the opposite of what I want.
I want to be able to sit down, hit play, and have it resume immediately.

I don't want to wait for the display to turn back on, then wait for it to "boot up" so that I can put it back into the theater mode before resuming the film.

Captor

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:24 am »

If going back to my issue for a short while :-) I just want to mention that also when hit Alt-Tab and go back to the windows desktop the screensaver will not engage IF MC is active.
So either if I use Display view in MC or Windows desktop the screensaver engage if MC is running. IF MC is not running everything works just fine.
AND this do not happen always! But maybe 20-25% this is the case.
JRiver for music

Captor

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:30 am »

And forget to mention only when palying audio. I never play MC Video so donīt know what happens then.
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up