INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio [REQ]  (Read 1366 times)

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
DSP Studio [REQ]
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

DSP Studio Area Requests

I use the DSP area quite a bit with different effects in use for each active playlists (sometimes three or four running simultaneously). In addition to a few built-in DSP's I also use several VSTs.  Each of these and the built-ins require different display area so if you bounce between DSP plugs frequently, the display can get a little tedious and confusing.

So this is a request for a few minor (I hope) changes that I think would help navigating between plugs.

1. When you change from one DSP to another, keep the one you switched to centered (or close) on the list displayed to the left.  As it is now, it may or may not still appear without additional scrolling.

2. If you click right on the toggle box for a particular plug in, toggle its status but don't show it.  I often want to hear the effect of a status change on plug A while camping visually on Plug D.  If you click to the right of the box on the target plug (grey area), show it but don't toggle it.  IOW, make Toggle and Show two separate things.

3. A PIN button somewhere in the DSP Studio window that will pin it open to the size it is when pinned, regardless of what plugin is then selected, and/or a size that is at least large enough to display all DSP selections on the left side.  If pinned it would be remembered between MC runs, DSP Studio selects and across different playlists until unpinned or repinned.

Are these reasonable to implement?

Thanks.

--Bill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP Studio [REQ]
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:34 pm »

2. If you click right on the toggle box for a particular plug in, toggle its status but don't show it.  I often want to hear the effect of a status change on plug A while camping visually on Plug D.  If you click to the right of the box on the target plug (grey area), show it but don't toggle it.  IOW, make Toggle and Show two separate things.

Control + Click does this now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44:27 pm »

Control + Click does this now.

Ah yes, so it does.  Thanks for pointing that out.

About items #1 and #3, any chance of looking into those?  Might even be simple to implement (especially #1)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:48:04 pm »

I'm not clear on #1.  Could you explain it slowly?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »

I'm not clear on #1.  Could you explain it slowly?

Sure. 

In the DSP Studio, the list of effects on the left always begins with Output Formatting, then Volume Leveling, and on down the list.  Many of the effects have a large display vertically, so when you select them you still end up with enough or almost enough room for the entirety of the effects list to be visible.  But some VST plugs inserted in the effects list may have considerably less vertical display space.  For example when I use the UAD Neve 1081 equalizer it is positioned 9th down from the top in the effects list.  But when its GUI is in view, only the first six in the effects list are visible on the left, ending at Parametric EQ.  Everything else is obscured forcing you to have to scroll to see anything else.

The #1 suggestion was to keep the selected effect's name in the list centered enough to see at least its listing.

The #3 suggestion was to using a 'pin' to keep the DSP Studio overall size (including the list) selectively set to a minimum display size that keeps the list visible regardless of which effect is selected.  You would be able to pin it open to whatever size you need by a drag from the bottom and 'pin' to hold it there.

Both are intended to make selection and operation of the various effects less repetitive than they are now.  I have quite a few minimum real estate VST's that would cause display issues like this.

--Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up