INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 19 is updating at least once a week?  (Read 2125 times)

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
19 is updating at least once a week?
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »

Why is 19 updating at least once a week?  Seem like it used to be maybe every four weeks or so.  Do I have something set wrong or is this normal?
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: 19 is updating at least once a week?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:57 pm »

The latest release is posted at the top of this board. When it is posted, JRiver Media Center will also download that version if you have set Tools > Options > Startup > Update Channels to "Latest".

Here is when builds have been posted to this board:
19.0.156 - July 23
19.0.155 - July 21
19.0.154 - July 18
19.0.152 - July 14
19.0.149 - July 2

May and March only had 3 public builds and April had 4. Now that Matt Ashland is back from his brain injury, the builds have been occurring more frequently.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:24 pm »

Hah.  We're just now getting back to something like "regular" build releases here.

I don't have statistics to back me up, but pretty consistently over the past ten years or so, they released new public builds of MC (while a particular major version was under active development) roughly once per week.  Maybe once every other week, when you average in some slow weeks.

On the beta board, there is (or was) usually a new build most weeknights.  In fact, when there wasn't going to be a beta build, Matt would usually post an amusing excuse.  One of my favorites was:

Nope.  No relation insinuated there.

That's why, they offer three different settings for the Auto-Update system (four if you count Beta and/or Off).

Tools > Options > Startup > Update Channels

Stable: Few updates, maybe one per month or so during the normal cycle. Very infrequently near the beginning as "heavy lifting" is going on, but with occasional speedier updates when major broken things are fixed, or major new features have been beat around a bit by the rest of us.  This corresponds to the downloads here: http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Latest: All the public builds.  This gives you the weekly-ish public builds available here on Interact.  This is the same as coming here manually and downloading the build from the Windows, Mac, or Linux boards, sometimes delayed by a night or so, but not usually.

Beta: You're a crazy person with a password.

Disable: Disable and update manually (not recommended because you could just use Stable).

In all cases, if you are experiencing an issue, we recommend you update to the Latest build on Interact (so we don't waste time talking about something already fixed).  But you can choose what auto-update frequency you want to be pestered about.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:28 am »

Here's how the update process works:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 02:45:31 am »

To my way of thinking, regular build releases aren't a sign that something's wrong. If anything, it's a sign that something is very right.

If anything, the JRiver approach is the embodiment of kaizen.

Sure, I've observed individuals requesting a feature that doesn't get immediate action. Sometimes that's because it's rather challenging (so time is needed) or it's sufficiently quirky that it's not really a significant issue for the majority. However, in the long run, if a problem or a feature gets enough comment on Interact then action follows. If an issue reveals a flaw or gap, then response is pretty darn quick. At least if a request is outside the scope of MC's design scope or JRiver's business plan, there's a very quick explanation of why there's the wrong fit.

I'd think that the JRiver standard is pretty hard to beat out there in the software development world.

Regardless, I'm glad the devs do what they do. They've done an especially fab job with a key player out of circulation and now it's as if the supercharger has been engaged with Matt's return. Keep it coming ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:44:20 am »

Thanks very much.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:21 am »

To my way of thinking, regular build releases aren't a sign that something's wrong. If anything, it's a sign that something is very right.

If anything, the JRiver approach is the embodiment of kaizen.

Sure, I've observed individuals requesting a feature that doesn't get immediate action. Sometimes that's because it's rather challenging (so time is needed) or it's sufficiently quirky that it's not really a significant issue for the majority. However, in the long run, if a problem or a feature gets enough comment on Interact then action follows. If an issue reveals a flaw or gap, then response is pretty darn quick. At least if a request is outside the scope of MC's design scope or JRiver's business plan, there's a very quick explanation of why there's the wrong fit.

I'd think that the JRiver standard is pretty hard to beat out there in the software development world.

Regardless, I'm glad the devs do what they do. They've done an especially fab job with a key player out of circulation and now it's as if the supercharger has been engaged with Matt's return. Keep it coming ..  ;)

;D ;D
+1

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:24 am »

Well said, astromo!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

icenine

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:26:23 pm »

Thank you everyone.  I wasn't sure if I had inadvertently clicked something I shouldn't have.  As long as it is as it should be I'm cool.
Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >J River (Current)> Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo M Scaler>Wave Stream dual BNC >Chord Hugo TT 2 > DCA Stealth
Pages: [1]   Go Up