INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTOEQ comments  (Read 3799 times)

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
AUTOEQ comments
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »

I had a chance to download and install the AUTOEQ plugin which is now almost three years old.

It does work, but is somewhat cumbersome to use due to sluggishness and its separation from MC.  It seems to be doing most of the control via an external interface (either database or MCC commands).  Plus you have to move back and forth between it and MC to make some changes that require a direct interface.  It can take several seconds at the beginning and end of songs for the setting to change and can be quite audible as a result.

But it does work and is a great functionality to have but not with the gross music genre EQ settings recommended.  If you're using any of those, their are probably other issues with your playback, e.g. small speakers, etc.

While I played around with it, I realized that this doesn't need to be implemented as an external plugin at all.  Virtually everything needed is *already in MC* and could operate far more efficiently and user-friendly if it was implemented as such.  It may not have been three years ago, but now, as far as I understand it, it would be simply the addition of a mode in the tags (AUTOEQ is already there) that says to use an equalizer.  Then all that you need to do is set the eq for that song and your done.  It can be done in realtime or selectively very easily.  That may be slightly simplistic, but as long as you are aware when AUTOEQ is set and eq is off if no AUTOEQ is defined it's pretty much all there!

I realize that EQ can be way overused and should be avoided except as a last resort.  But sometimes there is just no other way to make older tracks (especially) like much of my very large 50s-70s oldies collection suitable to be blended in with a playlist.  Or even within itself as a Genre.  There's incredible quality variance during that time.

Anyway, here's MY VOTE to the super JRiver staff/programmers to implement this natively so it can be used easily and quickly.  Please +1 as appropriate.  I could sure make use of it, as even small trims here and there can make a big difference in a playback experience.

[ Not directly related, but just a comment on the use of EQ from a former (retired) recording engineer.  It's best to start by reducing frequency areas that may be obtrusive.  Most people start cranking up frequencies to get the boom and glitter back, but that really isn't usually the right cure.  In all cases be selective and as minimal as possible (especially when increasing a frequency range), but start by reducing obvious areas first to obtain a uniform balance.  Usually you won't need to adjust more than just a few db one way or the other if you're in the right ranges.  Of course, selecting the right ranges takes an ear and some practice which comes over time. ]

--Bill

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: AUTOEQ comments
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:45:14 am »

+1

However the equalizer needs work too to be totally useful.  I use AutoEQ to try and tame some of the bass in bad recordings and the lowest 60hz control is not low enough.  I would recommend more closer spaced controls that start lower in the freq band.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »

+1

However the equalizer needs work too to be totally useful.  I use AutoEQ to try and tame some of the bass in bad recordings and the lowest 60hz control is not low enough.  I would recommend more closer spaced controls that start lower in the freq band.

I don't disagree.  At the very least, add a 30Hz selection.  Limiting eq at a low of 60Hz is certainly not a high-end audio choice.  Of course the parametric equalizers are available and can do a much better job in hands of the experienced, but the storage format of all the possible settings would not be as simple placed in an Autoeq tag as the current equalizer.

While I'd love to see a better equalizer as an Autoeq option, I'm afraid it would lessen the likelihood of native Autoeq getting implemented at all.  One step at a time.

While no one from JR has commented yet, it doesn't seem to me that a native implementation of this would all that difficult, if not even straightforward.  It may just take a few more interested parties to +1 the idea.

--Bill

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:36:05 am »

*snip*

This feature is currently under consideration for a future release.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:59:46 am »

+1
I too, think automation is needed in this area.
I did suggest a similar idea, in my previous post last month  " http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89991.0 " called "wish-list".
I suggested a facility that DSP settings could be saved per file or folder, with an option to auto configure.
This way not only EQ can be set to auto, but also volume, Tempo parametric EQ . . . etc. could all be set automatically.
A simple text script saved in the same folder could do the trick.
So far I got nothing!  :-[
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »

I would prefer a more comprehensive solution.

Imagine the ability to save named EQ curves and then apply them on a track by track basis.

So instead of having to set the EQ per track like in AutoEQ, set up one or more common EQ curves you like then apply them as required to any tracks that need them.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »

I would prefer a more comprehensive solution.

More comprehensive than saving the entire DSP settings per track or folder/album ?  :-\
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 03:04:52 pm »

More comprehensive than saving the entire DSP settings per track or folder/album ?  :-\

LOL no... you idea goes even farther than mine.

I just hope for something better than AutoEQ, at minimum more adjustment points, anything more than that is better ...

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »

This feature is currently under consideration for a future release.

Thanks for the heads up, Bryan.  Any notion of how far away it might be?

--Bill

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:18:52 pm »

Hold on there!  AUTODSP would be a whole lot more complicated to implement as a by-the-track type AUTOEQ, which should be pretty straightforward.  All the details that would have to be saved for each track at a DSP level seems like it would be way too much and would involve a lot of additional tweaking and tuning to make it work without issues.  And for the number of people that would likely use AUTOEQ let alone AUTODSP, the labor of implementation may not be worth it.  Still, it's an interesting notion.

I would love to have something better than the current EQ device that is associated with AUTOEQ now.  And of course, support of VST's there too, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Still...

My $.02 worth, anyway.

--Bill

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Re: AUTOEQ comments
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:45 am »

Hold on there!  AUTODSP would be a whole lot more complicated to implement as a by-the-track type AUTOEQ, which should be pretty straightforward. 

--Bill

I am no software engineer,
I take it that you are?

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31:15 pm »

I am no software engineer,
I take it that you are?

ARE might be a little generous.  I have been in a past life spanning about 20 years.  I've done no intensive programming projects for over 15 years, nor would I want to.  Most of what I do now is for my own small projects and either in C or Python (occasionally Perl).  I have a good understanding of what all is involved in design, layout and implementation in several different languages,  but I'm quite sure I have never quite achieved the capabilities of any of the JRiver programmers.  I continue to be amazed by their accomplishments.

Before, during and after I was/am active in audio recording, engineering, mixing, i.e. all things audio.

--Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up