INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portability  (Read 1538 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Portability
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:13:37 am »

I've been on vacation in France for a couple of weeks.  I brought along the JRiver Id to use as a server.  In Paris, I went to FNAC and bought a couple of Bluetooth speakers that run on battery power.

Here's my setup.  In addition to the Id (top left), you'll see a Philips 2500 Bluetooth speaker (top right) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" Tablet.

The speaker is $50 in the U.S. and sounds great for such a small device.  

I also bought a 27 inch ASUS VS278Q monitor.  I can lie on the couch, with the little Bluetooth speaker on my stomach and fall asleep watching Youtube on the monitor, without disturbing anyone.

It wasn't cheap, but it's very small, low power, and unobtrusive.  I'm a happy camper.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Portability
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »

Cool! What are you planning to do with the monitor when you need to come back to the US?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:56:40 pm »

Very cool, Jim.  I'd prefer JRemote and an iPad, but to each their own.  ;)

If anyone is looking for a slightly different Bluetooth speaker, I have a JBL Charge and it is hands-down one of my absolute favorite little toys.  Highly, highly recommended for a variety of uses.

I particularly like that the battery in it has enough juice to keep the thing running for an unbelievable amount of time, while simultaneously being able to fully charge my iPad 3 from dead (no small task) and still have enough juice left to give a hefty runtime boost to my iPhone too afterwards.

But, the speaker is also VERY nice quality, for such a little thing.  Also pretty rugged.  Mine has taken quite a few tumbles (including bouncing down a mountain trail in Acadia National Park), and has come out completely unscathed.

And, it fits perfectly in most standard cup holders and water-bottle holder pockets/sleeves, which is surprisingly handy for stashing it away in a backpack, jacket pocket, or in the bottle holder on your bike.

Highly recommended.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:38 pm »

We really need another generation or two of hardware revisions from Intel before something like that gives you both the battery life and performance for a good user experience.

Depends what for...

Bay Trail is pretty darn good.  I have a nice tablet here I've been playing with...  It is, unfortunately, nowhere near as nice as an iPad (build-quality wise), it is still junked up with crapware out of the box, and there's still hardly any good software for it.

But... Battery life is pretty well fixed (at least compared to Android tablets), and it performs decently, so long as you don't want to do ROHQ on it.  Theater View works quite well.

But... I don't know.  I still don't see it catching on any time soon.  I think they're just too late.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TCube

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:49:21 am »

Hello

4228.1 Miles to Paris , sorry, I don't know whether to laugh or cry  ;)
TC

------>
Pages: [1]   Go Up