INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost my tag edits to dff files when I cleared my library  (Read 2220 times)

pamrpm

• Recent member
Lost my tag edits to dff files when I cleared my library
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »

I spent considerable time editing meta data on dff files assigning artists, albums, genres, cover arts etc. It all showed up in my library and I took some comfort that the changes were being hardwired into the files when in mac finder I could see the "last updated date" to today for each file. I later cleared my library for some maintenance and lost my edits. I redid all the work making sure that the correct boxes were tagged to save the changes to files. Then to test the work I made a copy of the edited files and imported them into JRiver on a different computer. Again, all the edits had disappear and a number of files just showed up as "Unassigned". Is this a software issue or just user incompetence? If latter, what should I do to correct the problem? Thx. Patrick 

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Lost my tag edits to dff files when I cleared my library
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »

Unlike DSF, I don't believe DFF files can hold metadata.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

pamrpm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

Out of my depth here but some of the dff files I have show up in JRiver with all the metadata and others just go into the "Unassigned" bucket. Not sure if some of the files originally had metadata in them or if some kept my edits and others did not. All files seem to keep the track name (which may well be derived from the file name, not sure...) but not all keep the artist and album name therefore the unassigned label.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:55 pm »

Try Restore (under File).  MC makes automatic backups.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »

Adam is correct - DFF files do not support tagging, only DSF files do.

Perhaps it's possible that another program is creating out-of-spec files that have embedded tags if some of them have embedded information? (I have no idea)

pamrpm

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:24:25 pm »

Well you learn something every day! 1. can I convert my dff files to dsf with MC19 for MAC? 2. If so, will this convert to PCM in between and lose information? 3. can I combine the metadata held in my library in the conversion process? 4. If MC19 is not the answer, what tools are out there that can help me? Thx. Patrick

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:59 pm »

Media Center will do it, but does indeed have a PCM stage during conversion.

I think there are other tools which may be able to do this without the PCM conversion. Keep in mind that DFF files are often compressed, whereas DSF does not support compression, so the conversion may require twice the disk space.

I would just keep it in MC's library, and make sure you have a backup. I'm not sure why you would clear it.

pamrpm

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »

Thx to all. Very educational. Last post seems to suggest the most pragmatic solution i.e get comfortable with the metadata in the library instead of the files for dff. I feel a bit silly having redone all the edits when I could have just restored the library from the back up. Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up