INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Upgrading?  (Read 49205 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Questions about Upgrading?
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:58 am »

Both MC19 and MC20 will work with an MC20 license.  All licenses sold since July 1 are MC20 licenses.

ttlinhha

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:24 am »

Both MC19 and MC20 will work with an MC20 license.  All licenses sold since July 1 are MC20 licenses.

I know it,  but I want use MC 19 and MC 20 for 2 PC (Laptop and Destop)

ttlinhha

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:37 am »

I hope to here the soon, thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2014, 01:56:48 am »

I hope to here the soon, thanks

Jim has said previously that "fair use" is acceptable. At the time I think he was answering a question about installing one MC licence, of the same type (i.e. Windows) on all PCs in the house, or that you own, is acceptable within reason. I think he said three or five PCs maximum. I can't find the relevant post with search.

So yes, you can install MC19 on your laptop and MC20 on your desktop, or visa versa if you like. You can control which version is installed on each PC. But why not install MC20 on both?

EDIT: Here it is.
Tags
Metadata is stored in the file's tags by default.  You can turn this off if desired.

Appearance
Please try the many views available, and consider customizing the.

File limit
We know it can handle several million files.

Multiple PC's
You can use one license on all "your" PC's (within reason).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ttlinhha

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:53 am »

Jim has said previously that "fair use" is acceptable. At the time I think he was answering a question about installing one MC licence, of the same type (i.e. Windows) on all PCs in the house, or that you own, is acceptable within reason. I think he said three or five PCs maximum. I can't find the relevant post with search.

So yes, you can install MC19 on your laptop and MC20 on your desktop, or visa versa if you like. You can control which version is installed on each PC. But why not install MC20 on both?

EDIT: Here it is.

Thank you, so I can install MC20 on both. I think only 1 machine

de_zone

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2014, 05:42:27 am »

Quote:
"You must have the correct version of MC installed first. Your license must be for the correct OS type (Windows, Mac or Linux). Each Install Key (mjr file) is good for 14 days.
You can Restore your license, and generate another Install Key up to ten times per rolling calendar year. "

My question (14 X 10 = 140 days),  is that the validity of the  licence I am going to buy?
 ? :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 06:38:18 am »

The Registration Code is permanent.  It will work forever.  Only the Install Key is limited.

de_zone

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:16 am »

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I know that the Registration Code is permanent. but as it is written the
code is valid 140 days within the year.
Am I right?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:37 am »

Am I right?

No.

The Install Key is used to install a licence. Installation creates the Registration Code. If you buy the software and receive an Install Key on the third of the month you have until the seventeenth of the month to install the licence, or you will need a new Install Key, which you get by following the Licence Restore process.

If in the future your house burns down with your PC inside, when you get around to wanting to install MC on a new PC you will need to follow the Licence Restore process to get a new Install Key, which you will then need to use within 14 days or it will expire.

Simple really.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

de_zone

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:45 am »

Simple really.

OK
Should be clear!
Let's suppose virus attack instead " house burns " :o
Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:07 am »

;D

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »

Is there still an option for discounted uprade from version 19?
How much is it to upgrade to version 20?
Thanks, Thomas

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »

It's $26.98.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2014, 04:32:50 pm »

Just checking before I update will the new builds of MC20 continue to support Windows XP and kernel streaming

It should continue.  We have no plans of removing XP support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fallsroad

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and installed MC20, taking this as an opportunity to upgrade. I have a MC19 registration, and would like to upgrade to 20 without actually installing MC19 again. Is this possible?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2014, 04:37:53 pm »

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and installed MC20, taking this as an opportunity to upgrade. I have a MC19 registration, and would like to upgrade to 20 without actually installing MC19 again. Is this possible?

I think you just need to install your MC19 license, inside MC20, and then purchase to get the upgrade price.

fallsroad

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2014, 02:26:11 am »

I think you just need to install your MC19 license, inside MC20, and then purchase to get the upgrade price.

That totally worked. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2015, 05:20:49 pm »

bump

JarkkoK

• Recent member
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2015, 01:30:25 am »

I have MC17. I just bought a MC20 licence (Windows) more or less as support for the work you do with a very nice piece of software. I'm in no rush to start using MC20, but is there any way to move all my data from MC17 to MC20? With data I mean things like the library, the smartlists/playlists, the general settings, the views... the works?

Giodo

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:41 am »

I have MC17. I just bought a MC20 licence (Windows) more or less as support for the work you do with a very nice piece of software. I'm in no rush to start using MC20, but is there any way to move all my data from MC17 to MC20? With data I mean things like the library, the smartlists/playlists, the general settings, the views... the works?

Having similar issues. I installed mc20 and it seemed fine. But I needed to use mc18 with all my old playlists to prepare a radio show. When I started mc18 it would bring up mc20 and sound was quite distorted. Had to uninstall mc20, now wondering if there is a better way to install, so it saves playlists, etc. Is it safe to assume that if I name playlists the same in mc20 that the files will appear in the lists? (Playlists are shown in the tags, I guess this info is stored in the files?).

JarkkoK

• Recent member
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2015, 02:29:20 am »

I think I solved this by myself and it was simple actually: I originally had a folder called "MC Stuff" (not the installation folder) under which I had
- Cover Art
- Library
- Library backups
- Podcasts

I copied the folder "MC Stuff" to "MC 20 Stuff" and then just added a new local library in the MC20 library manager. All playlists, smartlists and views (which I didn't have many) seem to be in place.

I'm happy... at least until I figure out something important that might be missing... ;-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2015, 07:14:38 am »

You can backup in an older version and restore in the newer version.  This will work with MC19 > MC20 and probably with MC18 > MC20, but in earlier versions the backup contains only the library, and not the settings.

JarkkoK

• Recent member
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

Yes, I now notcied that the settings were left behind since I have MC 17. Well, I'll just have to go through the settings manually again and try toi figure out what each setting means in practice...

gordoncanada

• Recent member
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2015, 01:04:36 pm »

The update button on my Media Center 12 says an upgrade to 17.0.180 is available for 26.98. Will I have to pay more to further upgrade to version 20?
I haven't upgraded in a long time, but I've upgraded more than once. $26.98 is all I can afford and I don't want to be stuck with an older version after I upgrade. Can I upgrade directly to version 20?

Gord

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:56 pm »

Just download from our download page.  Then purchase from the Help menu in the program.  Don't continue unless you see the correct price.  Thanks for your purchase.

garden

« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 05:04:48 am »

can anyone help me please:
when I follow the upgrade link for MC20 it returns and error:

Error

This product is no longer for sale.

A newer version is available on the download page.
More information is available on Interact

I know there were similar issues when MC19 was released; the other issue will be that the registration code won't work if I manually change the link address?

any help greatly appreciated thank you

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 06:37:35 am »

can anyone help me please:

Install the latest version of the program from the top of this board, and then purchase from within the program.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 06:38:27 am »

Download from jriver.com and install.

garden

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2015, 07:26:03 am »

hi again

thank you for coming back to me.

I got it to work by downloading latest version, and then within the help menu I selected Install License and entered by registration key from my old version.

(if you select Buy Media Center, it charges you full price, so don't go down that road)

thanks!

philpit

« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

If I run MC20 on a PC and also an Id (purchased about two weeks ago), and want to keep both current, do I need to buy the Master License Upgrade?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2015, 11:59:59 am »

No.  The Id software gets upgraded automatically.

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »

I purchased and downloaded the upgrade to MC20 today but can't seem to implement it; it's still MC19 when I check under: HELP/REGISTRATION and I don't know how to get it to work (or how to tell the difference other than through the Help/Registration tab).  Help?  Suggestions?  (Refund?)  And still no return of the mini skins? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2015, 06:53:58 pm »

Did you download and install?

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:18 am »

As I said, I downloaded it.  Everything said that it would automatically install/upgrade.  No, I didn't install it; (if I had, we wouldn't be having this discussion).

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2015, 11:23:27 am »

As I said, I downloaded it.  Everything said that it would automatically install/upgrade.  No, I didn't install it; (if I had, we wouldn't be having this discussion).
You will have to install the Media Center 20 you downloaded.  It will use the same library and settings that 19 did.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2015, 11:24:09 am »

You must install it.  Then restore your MC20 license.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2015, 09:37:50 am »

I've followed your instructions repeatedly with no success.  I'm still running MC19.  I was happy with older versions and regret spending time and money for an upgrade that isn't happening and, as I said at the beginning of our conversation here, I'm done.  I'll have to settle for MC19 and the loss of money to a non upgrade.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2015, 09:46:10 am »

You said you downloaded MC20.

You said you didn't install it.  You must install it.

MC21 builds will be released in a few weeks.  The license also works with MC20.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2015, 09:52:44 pm »

I'll have to settle for MC19 and the loss of money to a non upgrade.
I suggest that you wait until a couple of weeks after MC21 is released, and then ask for help again when the process is fresh in all our minds. That will save you going through two upgrade processes.

It isn't a difficult process, and if you have tried to install MC20, then you probably have both MC19 and MC20 on your PC right now, since they will install by default into different directories. I suspect that you are trying to start MC by clicking on the old MC19 icon, rather than the new MC20 icon. They look the same, but will be in different places.

Anyway, wait if you like, and then ask for specific help.

lala412

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2016, 06:44:15 pm »

Hi -

I haven't downloaded MC on my last couple of computers (commitment issues after hd crashes), but decided I wanted the best on this one, so here I am. I have restores for MC11, 13, and 15. I was going to ask a question about upgrading, but I read the faq  ;D  so I just wanted to say THANK YOU for allowing people to upgrade even back to the dark ages. I loved MJ and I loved MC, and I don't know why I waited so long to download again. Can't wait to see what's up with MC21!

Han_Man

« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:16 am »

Hi Everyone,
this is my first post in the forum so please excuse my ignorance...

I have MC19 installed and saw the email for the 18 dollar MC22 upgrade pre-oder which got me all excited so I went ahead and purchased!

Am I now right in thinking that I can only upgrade to MC22 if I have already got MC21?

Its just that the email did not mention this and I don't really want to have to fork out any more than I already have!

Truth be told I am pretty happy with MC19.

If someone could enlighten me I would be grateful!

Many thanks in advance

Johannes
...hatching a diabolical plan to rule the world...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2016, 06:58:02 am »

You can install MC21 now and use your MC19 license to upgrade.  Here is how to do it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104782.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up