INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this doable?  (Read 1887 times)

darkpen

• Recent member
Is this doable?
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:20:42 pm »

Hi everyone, hoping to tap into the global know-how on this board. I'm basically looking to know if what I want to achieve here is possible; if you have a link to a tutorial, that would be great, but as long as you say it's possible, I don't mind searching myself.

Just a bit of background: I bought JRiver 19 a while back but have since switched back to XBMC (Gotham). Thing is, I much prefer JRiver for various reasons, most notably the playback quality, but XBMC seems to have an edge on certain things.

I have a HTPC running Media Center Master for fetching metadata and subtitles. This is the main HTPC in the living room, it's also used as the main viewer (Windows 8.1, but I could roll back to 7 if necessary). I control it with a MCE remote (not Microsoft, I forget which brand at the moment).

I also have a Mac Mini connected to a TV in the bedroom. It's currently running Mac OS (Mountain Lion, haven't upgraded it to Mavericks yet). It's controlled by an Apple Remote. I also have a Win7 license available for it, if need be, but I'm slightly concerned about Apple Remote compatibility if I do that.

The current setup is XBMC Gotham with SQL database, so that if I stop something in the living room, I can pick it right back up in the bedroom, etc. It's actually working great, but I don't like the playback quality and would like to go back to JRiver if possible. Everything's networked via ethernet cable.

The problem is, when I first setup JRiver a while back, I never could get it to share the library as smoothly as XBMC can, and it was awkward accessing the main library from the bedroom. The other issue is that sometimes MCM screws up on the subtitles, and XBMC makes it really easy to grab a new set from OpenSubtitles or whatnot.

So the question is, is it possible to have a seamless library share between the main Windows JRiver library and a satellite OSX JRiver? (think SAF here; while I personally may not mind going through extra steps, the goal is to have the same interface in the bedroom as in the living room, same number of steps, etc.) Also, is there a plugin to easily get subtitles by now?

One more thing, I enjoy the YouTube plugins in XBMC, is there something similar for JRiver?

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum, but I thought I'd ask as I just received the upgrade email and am wondering if it's worth upgrading.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Is this doable?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »

So the question is, is it possible to have a seamless library share between the main Windows JRiver library and a satellite OSX JRiver? (think SAF here; while I personally may not mind going through extra steps, the goal is to have the same interface in the bedroom as in the living room, same number of steps, etc.)

Yes.  Share the library on one machine.  Set it to start Library Server on Windows Start.  Then write down the access key and enter it on the clients.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

darkpen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »

Yes.  Share the library on one machine.  Set it to start Library Server on Windows Start.  Then write down the access key and enter it on the clients.

I thought that's what I did, but I'll give it another try tonight. So the theatre view on the client should show the TV shows and movies in the same spot as the server machine?

I seem to recall that the client wouldn't list the content of the server without additional steps, but again I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the reply.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:07 pm »

I do basically what you are trying to do...there were a few issues in the past, but most of those have been worked through, and it works well now.

darkpen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »

I reinstalled JRiver and set up the library, everything was smooth... until I noticed there's no theater view on the Mac version, which seems like an odd feature to leave out.

So I'll have to stick it out with XBMC for a while longer, at least until I can put aside some time to install Windows on the Mac. But at least it connected to the server library!

Well, thanks for the help at least. :)

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:51:40 am »

I thought that's what I did, but I'll give it another try tonight. So the theatre view on the client should show the TV shows and movies in the same spot as the server machine?
Theater View and video playback are not supported on the Mac version.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »

Not yet at least  :D

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

Not yet at least  :D
Jim seems pretty hesitant to say whether video is coming to the Mac version, so I'm not expecting it in MC20 now. (and will probably skip that version as a result)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »

Jim seems pretty hesitant to say whether video is coming to the Mac version, so I'm not expecting it in MC20 now. (and will probably skip that version as a result)
That isn't what I said.  I believe I said that we don't have video working yet and we won't know when we will have it until we do have it.

I'm trying to under-promise and over-deliver.

darkpen

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 01:48:52 am »

I finally got around to installing Windows on the Mac Mini, and everything's running great. Got the library sync'ed up no problems, did the Apple IR -> USB device trick, learned the remote buttons, and it's doing pretty good.

I think the only kink I have left to work out is the remote not registering that I'm holding down a button (i.e., left or right when navigating). On the main HTPC (with a MCE type remote), holding down the right or left button does a fast scroll, whereas on the Mac it moves once and stops. Not sure if that's an Apple remote deal or not, though, with maybe the remote sending out a different code if held down, kind of like the old iPods did? That and the remote doesn't seem to register some of the time (have to click it repeatedly before it "wakes up", and then it acts ok).

So far so good, though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up