INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propagating List Column Header presets  (Read 1845 times)

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Propagating List Column Header presets
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »

Like the Artist, Album, Name column headers (audio list) that may be chosen and arranged and saved in that format under a preset?  How would you copy those saved presets to another MC?  It's probably simple, but I just don't see it.

Thanks.

--Bill

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Propagating List Column Header presets
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »

--bump--

Stupid question?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:47 am »

theres probally an easier way but ...use a back up from that pc to the other and choose the option to only restore settings....be sure to back up the 2nd pc first just incase....good luck
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:25:26 am »

Thanks for the attempt!

I've done an XML backup of the Library itself, and a CSV backup of a few Playlists to search for the extra preset names I used.  They don't appear anywhere, thus my question.    I wonder if they could be just in the registry.  I don't see what to backup that you could non-destructively restore that might contain those fields.

Someone *must* know.

I use a main library server on a dedicated machine to supply content to other machines in the house.  One of the remote machines has the most recent set of new Presets, but when I access a playlist from the server, the older presets on the server override those with the same name on the remote.  On a standard MC (for windows) I can still load my newer presets manually, but on the Id they don't show up at all.

I need to copy the current presets to the server from the most updated remote MC.  I thought for sure they were part of the playlist, but an export doesn't contain them.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »

I found the added presets in the registry at

Code: [Select]
Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-67410361-4114147389-2149312320-1000\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19\Properties\View Settings - Column Presets
The S-1 number is my ID on this computer.  Yours would differ.

It's a large block of data a bit over 4730 bytes, which seems to show JUST the added presets and their associated data.

It looks like that entire field could be moved to a similarly configured MC 19 with no issues, but I haven't tried it yet.  I was sure hoping there was a better way effect this...

--Bill

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:59 am »

Thanks for the attempt!

I've done an XML backup of the Library itself, and a CSV backup of a few Playlists to search for the extra preset names I used.  They don't appear anywhere, thus my question.    I wonder if they could be just in the registry.  I don't see what to backup that you could non-destructively restore that might contain those fields.

Someone *must* know.

I use a main library server on a dedicated machine to supply content to other machines in the house.  One of the remote machines has the most recent set of new Presets, but when I access a playlist from the server, the older presets on the server override those with the same name on the remote.  On a standard MC (for windows) I can still load my newer presets manually, but on the Id they don't show up at all.

I need to copy the current presets to the server from the most updated remote MC.  I thought for sure they were part of the playlist, but an export doesn't contain them.

You don't want to do a library XML export. You want to do a full backup. File->Library->Backup Library

On Library restore just select the settings option.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »

You don't want to do a library XML export. You want to do a full backup. File->Library->Backup Library

On Library restore just select the settings option.

Thanks Bryan,

But the problem is that on all systems except the main server, there is no real local library.  All the client MC's load the server library, which brings in all the playlists.  So when you look in File->Library, there is no library to save on any client.  Actually, there are local libraries on each client for testing and special occasions, but they are seldom in use.

The server is 'Bserve' and this particular workstation is 'Audio'.  Audio used to host the entire library before it was relocated to the server Bserve with a lot more disk storage.  The presets were created on Audio before the library move and that's primarily why (I'm guessing) there is a local copy of those presets available in Audio's registry.  But for some reason the most recent iterations of Presets didn't move to Bserve with the rest of the library.  No idea why.  The move was back in late versions 14x or early 15x of MC.

So should I be able to move the single View Settings - Column Presets registry entry to the server?  I'd think the worst it could be is older, which wouldn't hurt anything on the server since that one is already old.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »

The library clients all inherit the view settings from the server. I don't think changes to the library view are saved on the clients, but I may be mistaken. You will need to recreate the desired view on the server and all of the clients should pick it up after a library sync.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »

The library clients all inherit the view settings from the server. I don't think changes to the library view are saved on the clients, but I may be mistaken. You will need to recreate the desired view on the server and all of the clients should pick it up after a library sync.

They must be saved on the Clients, or at least clients that were once servers.  If I simply load the server's library, select a playlist (also from the server) my presets will reflect that of the server.  If I then, on the client, select the same preset, the settings change to the new version.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »

Well, copying that registry field from the client to the server correctly updated the column order presets, no problem. 

I just confirmed that column header order presets are NOT propagated from a server MC to a client MC like playlists are.  After copying the registry entry as above, I deleted that particular entry on the client so it would have no presets defined.  Starting the server and client MC from scratch, after 15 minutes the column header presets don't show up, and of course they don't take on the same display they do on the server.

Is this an error, oversight or omission?  Could these column presets be allowed to propagate from server to client?  Or can a default presets be changed somewhere?

There don't seem to be any Smartlist capabilities for column display order, either.  Or maybe there is, and I don't recognize it.

Thoughts or ideas?

--Bill

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:47:54 pm »

I believe the column settings are saved per library view, so you might want to try adding a new library view and altering your settings within that view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up