Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating  (Read 3391 times)

Magdanus

• Recent member
Rating
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:06 am »

Hi,
I am confused by the rating system in MC. In MC my music files are rated with stars 1-5 but when opening the same file in Tag & Rename the same files have no rating. The star ratings made in T&R are exported to/shown in MC but ratings made in MC are not exported to/shown the metadata in T&R. Using Edit->Tag in MC shows a rating tag that is not matched by the rating tag in T&R. Is a tag in MC not a metatag? Where does all the star rating in MC comes from? How has done the rating? How can I bulk delete all the ratings in MC and do my own and have those ratings exported to the metadata as shown in T&R?
Thanks.

- sorry should have been posted in MC 19 for Windows, not MC 20

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rating
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

Is Edit->Update files when tag info changes enabled?

"Tags" as you know them are stored in MC's database and not written to the files unless you choose to.

You can also right-click your files and select Library Tools->Update tags (from library).

Magdanus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »

Thanks Bryan,

Do you know of the origin of the rating stars? They are not in the files metadata. Is it a rating made by a JRiver database?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

Do you know of the origin of the rating stars? They are not in the files metadata. Is it a rating made by a JRiver database?

What type of files are you rating?  Most should store the rating in the file's tag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Magdanus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:50:00 am »

I am storing Flac files on a NAS riped from CD's or downloaded from HDtracks and other online shops. Looking at files metadata (tags) on the server in Tag and Rename there is no ratings. Looking at the tags in the same files in MC there may be a rating 1-5 stars (for some and some not). MC is configured not to update tags when file info changes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:18:02 am »

Rating is stored in FLAC tags.  You need to let the program update file tags when info changes.

You can manually write tags by Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up