INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Control of device sync expression  (Read 1484 times)

john_kane

• Junior Woodchuck
User Control of device sync expression
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:07:49 am »

So technically I guess this should be in the android forum, but I think the issue/request might be a little more generic.

If you spend anytime in the android forum, you can see there are several issues with device sync, especially with the latest Android versions. Clearly this is not all solely related to J River. Google/Android's decision to drop Mass Storage mode and force MPT syncing is still a very sore subject for me.  It's also not always clear which components or apps are touching the files/metadata on the android device side.

In general, it seems that  device syncing for android is broken now.  I've tried various combinations and work around attempts (enable USB debugging, playing with the device sync options in J River). Invariably after the initial sync, I get a bunch or duplicate and/or 'in queue' syncs for files that are already on the device. And the sync subsequently fails.

MPT mode has killed my other Android sync methods as well (including some homegrown scripts with iTunes), so I'm trying to find a solution here.

In a post I can no longer seem to find now, I saw a note that J River essentially uses a sync expression like this:

Code: [Select]
If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), [Name] [FileSize,0],[Name] Clean([Artist],1) [Album] [Genre] FormatNumber([Track #,0]) [Media Type])

I have added this expression as a column in my views and have looked at the expression on both my library and device files, but don't see any real obvious differences.

But I'd like to see if its possible to get a new feature in J River to expose (allow the user to edit/configure) the actual device sync expression. This would allow dropping down the specificity of the sync expression and make it less sensitive to whatever subtleties in tag, metadata, or other items that cause the syncs to fail. I'd sacrifice having all meta sync, if I could just get basic audio file sync working.

I know that MC19 is winding down, so if this is a bigger effort maybe the request needs to go to MC20.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:00 pm »

I agree that having control over the filename settings when syncing would definitely be a plus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up