INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Dynamic Range (DR)  (Read 2133 times)

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Album Dynamic Range (DR)
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »

Would it be possible to implement an [Album Dynamic Range (DR)] field in MC, based on the average DR of album tracks ?

It seems that this value can be automatically calculated by MC for thumbnail text.

I think it would be useful for general library management when several versions of the same album are present.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Dynamic Range (DR)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:22:51 pm »

yes, you can do it.  it's not super easy but works fine.

this thread goes through the process better than i could

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90205.0

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:31:05 am »

Thanks ferday !

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:01:17 am »

If I understand this right.... the method is flawed in that it gives equal weight to all tracks no matter their length.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:33 am »

I'm not sure why you think this is flawed?  Track length has nothing to do with dr rating...which is the ratio between the loudest and quietest portions of a work.  DR is calculated normally by track, all album DR ratings are averaged between tracks.   i don't know how the JRiver DR algorithm works but normally you take the top X% of loudness as the average, to avoid lengthy quiet intros matched to excessively loud refrains giving a higher DR score than needed.

Explain your flaw?  DR as a value is quite flawed but it's fun and can tell you some things, notably it's good for identifying a remaster....

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:30 pm »

I'm not sure why you think this is flawed?  Track length has nothing to do with dr rating...which is the ratio between the loudest and quietest portions of a work.  DR is calculated normally by track, all album DR ratings are averaged between tracks.   i don't know how the JRiver DR algorithm works but normally you take the top X% of loudness as the average, to avoid lengthy quiet intros matched to excessively loud refrains giving a higher DR score than needed.

Explain your flaw?  DR as a value is quite flawed but it's fun and can tell you some things, notably it's good for identifying a remaster....

As an extreme example... what if there were 10 tracks on an album.

Tracks 1-9 were 1 minute each with a DR rating of 10.
Track 10 is 30 minutes long with a DR rating of 20.

Meaning 9 minutes of DR 10 and 30 minutes of DR 20.

The "album" DR calculated without considering track length would be very misleading.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »

that would give you an average DR of 11 which is a fair statement about the album IMO

the only way to get a "true" DR score is to rip the album as a single full track, then the loudest/quietest portions of the entire album would be considered together (i think i will try this for fun)

i don't know how MC calculates, but proposed meter specs are found here (http://www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/Measuring%20DR%20ENv3.pdf), and track length is eliminated from the equation
Pages: [1]   Go Up