INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using mc19 with b&w zeppelin air  (Read 5058 times)

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
using mc19 with b&w zeppelin air
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:38 am »

currently i use itunes running on a laptop to stream music to a b&w zeppelin air http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Zeppelin-Air/explore.htm

when i launch mc, 'zeppelin' appears under 'playing now' but i can't figure out how to stream music to it. any ideas?

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
Re: using mc19 with b&w zeppelin air
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:44:53 am »

24hrs on. zero replies. it can't be done then?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:42 am »

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:31:01 am »

thanks for replying and the link. i'm not sure i need to add a zone though do i? the zeppelin already appears as a zone automatically when i launch mc. problem i have is when i right click a track and and select send to > play (zeppelin) > play i get an error message pop up with

'there was a problem controlling the selected dlna device. double check your device, server and network settings'

i right click on the 'zeppelin' zone and i'm not sure what i need to check with regards to the device, server and network settings  ?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:04 pm »

The Zeppelin is a zone so you don't have to add it.
Looks like you have found the way to send music to it (Send to> play)

Had a quick look at the link you provided.
Lot's of talk about AirPlay but nothing about DLNA
At one hand JRiver sees the device but I doubt if it is DLNA compatible
Some Airplay setting?

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »

yeah i was racking my brains trying to figure why if the zeppelin showed as a zone, mc wasn't able to send files to it. to save more possible headache, i might just go the airfoil route. downloaded the trial version earlier and seems to work without issue so far

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 03:27:50 pm »

Tools → Options → Media Network → Add or configure DLNA servers…

Set the audio mode to "Specified output format"
Select a format that the Zeppelin works with. (may require some trial and error)

Start with 24-bit PCM, 16-bit, then MP3 as a last resort.

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:41:39 am »

ok this is what i have done

added a new dlna server (just selected the 'generic dlna'. correct?) and associated the zeppelin with that server. as suggested set the audio mode to 'specified output format' and tried all 7 of the available formats. but none worked.

time for me to give up i think. i've decided to stick with itunes and get a 2nd airplay speaker. i'll stream the audio files/internet radio to both speakers direct from itunes so the audio is the same in both rooms at any given time. any audio streams itunes won't handle that i use (wma) i'll use airfoil for. i'll also use an itouch for single speaker handling when required.

thanks for all the suggestions.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:53 pm »

I feel like it should be possible to play to the Zeppelin via DLNA from Media Center, but I'm not familiar with that hardware so I don't know what else to suggest.

RogueAmoeba's Airfoil application can work quite well as an intermediary between Media Center and AirPlay devices, if you want to stick to using MC, though it does have its limitations.

I keep it running in the "System Audio" mode which means that it shows up as a separate sound device that can be configured as a zone for Media Center to play audio to.

Hopefully at some point Media Center will gain native AirPlay support.

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 05:22:19 am »

Hopefully at some point Media Center will gain native AirPlay support.

you would think so wouldn't you. i mean all these mc 'upgrades' with each release and yet still no airplay support? ridiculous. this single one missing feature has stopped me from turning my evaluation into a purchase.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:22 am »

you would think so wouldn't you. i mean all these mc 'upgrades' with each release and yet still no airplay support? ridiculous. this single one missing feature has stopped me from turning my evaluation into a purchase.

You should blame Apple for not playing nicely with third party vendors, not the other way around. How many times does someone have to get burned by a company before they say "screw it?"

If Apple wanted to play nicely, they wouldn't be using some proprietary distribution protocol that they reserve the right to block access to at any time, for any reason.

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:44:52 am »

so which applies here

a) apple won't let jriver incorporate airplay fullstop?
b) apple charge a fee to third parties who wish to incorporate airplay. jriver don't want to pay that fee?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:19:02 am »

so which applies here

a) apple won't let jriver incorporate airplay fullstop?
b) apple charge a fee to third parties who wish to incorporate airplay. jriver don't want to pay that fee?

Both and then some.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:32 am »

All information I could find on AirPlay licensing was about building hardware for AirPlay (ie. receivers/speakers), and they charge like $4 per unit sold.
I don't know if they would even license a software product to be an AirPlay sender, or if the only way to do it is to use the reverse-engineered protocol information floating around the web..
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:54 am »

All information I could find on AirPlay licensing was about building hardware for AirPlay (ie. receivers/speakers), and they charge like $4 per unit sold.
I don't know if they would even license a software product to be an AirPlay sender, or if the only way to do it is to use the reverse-engineered protocol information floating around the web..
I believe Apple only issues hardware licenses.
I would gladly pay $10 for a Media Center plugin that added AirPlay support if it were a possibility though.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »

Apple works hard to keep their customers using Apple hardware and software, and to keep software developers like JRiver from having good access to many of their devices.  Perhaps that will explain our reluctance to support all things Apple.

When they change their policy, we'll review ours.  

Don't hold your breath.

alphabetagaga

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »

thanks for the explanation. might be worth adding an 'airplay not supported' section into the 'Switching from iTunes' sticky or jriverwiki itunes area. as in my original post, for me to see the zeppelin appear as a zone and then not be able to use it got very confusing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up