INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending DSD to My DAC  (Read 851 times)

johnsg

• Recent member
Sending DSD to My DAC
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »

Using the 'DSP Studio' I have chosen the Output Format to be 2xDSD in DoP format.

This works regardless of whether 'Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming' is set to 'None' or to 'DSD'.

So my question is whether that Bitstreaming configuration is redundant?

I know that my DAC *is* receiving DSD because it's a Chord Qute EX and the porthole light indicates the expected DSD (plus there is a remarkable audio improvement over redbook 44.1)

John

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sending DSD to My DAC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:26 pm »

DSD Bitstreaming takes a DSD input, bypasses all internal processing (except possibly packing it into a DoP stream) and sends it unmodified to the DAC.
DSD Encoding converts any input to DSD. If your input is a DSD file, it will be converted to PCM first, and then encoded to DSD again.

This intermediate PCM stage takes place so that you can apply processing to the signal (e.g. Volume Leveling or EQ) before encoding it to DSD.
I believe Bitstreaming takes priority over Encoding, so enabling both options will convert all PCM formats to DSD, but bitstream DSD inputs. (bypassing the PCM conversion stage)

johnsg

• Recent member
Re: Sending DSD to My DAC
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

Thanks for the lightning-fast reply! What you say about priorities sounds right to me. Interesting to note that 'bitstreaming' a native DSD file would bypass things like volume leveling....

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up