INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird behavior involving playback of most recent MP3 added to library  (Read 1797 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen

Hello,

I had been using MC 18 (although I bought MC 19 last year), but finally upgraded to MC 19 about a week ago.

Just today I have been having a very bizarre problem. When I add a new MP3 to my library and play it, it cuts off about 5 or 6 seconds before the end. I know that the end actually is there, because I have played the MP3 with Windows Media Center and I have looked at the MP3 and played it using Audacity. Then, after I add another MP3, the previous one suddenly will play to the end, but the new one cuts off about 5 or 6 seconds before the end.

This behavior has me stumped. At first I thought there was a problem with the MP3 (because the first one I noticed it with was an MP3 that I had created by editing with Audacity). However, the fact that I can play them perfectly well with the other two programs -- and after I add another MP3 to MC then the first one then plays just fine -- tells me that isn't the case. Furthermore, I added a "regular" MP3 -- one that I had not edited -- and got the same behavior.

I spent a little time looking around for someone else reporting a similar problem, but couldn't find anything. However, I couldn't think of an obvious keyword to search on, so I may have missed something.

I am confident that this behavior is new today. I have added new MP3s to my database since I upgraded and I didn't see this behavior before today. And when I add new MP3s to the database, I almost always play them to make sure that there aren't any problems with the MP3, which is why I saw the problem today.

I am running MC 19.0.158 under Windows 8.0. I have an HP Inspiron 15-R, which is less than 2 years old.

Any help would be appreciated. If you can't help me, then I need to know how to return to MC 18, since this behavior doesn't work for me at all; I am a DJ and use my computer for "spinning", I need to be confident that when I play an MP3, there won't be any problems.

Sincerely,
Suzanne Sluizer

p.s. For some reason, your system is changing the J.R.M.Cs (I'm typing them without the periods) that I type into MCs, which is incredibly irritating. I would expect what I type to appear in my post as I've typed it.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Weird behavior involving playback of most recent MP3 added to library
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »

19.0.160 (8/4/2014)

1. Fixed: Track changes could be early when the audio format changed.

Try updating to the latest build at the top of the forum and see if your problem persists. Some have reported it as fixed, others are still having issues.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

19.0.160 (8/4/2014)

1. Fixed: Track changes could be early when the audio format changed.

Try updating to the latest build at the top of the forum and see if your problem persists. Some have reported it as fixed, others are still having issues.

Thanks, I'll try that. Although it's strange that it suddenly showed up today and not earlier.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »

OK, I updated to the latest build.

It was not an improvement. Now what happens is that the track gets to the point where the problem was recurring and goes into a "stuttering" mode, where it repeats the same short part of the song over and over and over. I had a hard time getting it to stop doing that.

And, BTW, all of these files are MP3 files, so there was no change in the audio format.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:33 pm »

Obviously I haven't verified that this only occurs on the latest MP3 in my library (since it has almost 37,000 MP3s in it), but I have checked the last two or three that I've added and it is always the most recent one that exhibits this behavior.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »

I find it incredibly disappointing that a program that is designed to play media can't do it properly in some circumstances. And this is a program that is about to be replaced with a new version.

Apparently none of you are able to suggest how to deal with this. Fortunately, one of your users in another thread mentioned that he was having a similar -- but not identical -- problem and the way he dealt with it was to go back to version 19.0.146. I tried that and it has fixed the problem, which is far more important to me that running the latest and (not so) greatest version.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »

I find it incredibly disappointing that a program that is designed to play media can't do it properly in some circumstances. And this is a program that is about to be replaced with a new version.

Apparently none of you are able to suggest how to deal with this. Fortunately, one of your users in another thread mentioned that he was having a similar -- but not identical -- problem and the way he dealt with it was to go back to version 19.0.146. I tried that and it has fixed the problem, which is far more important to me that running the latest and (not so) greatest version.

The stable version of MC is currently 19.0.146. Anything newer may or may not have bugs. That's just the way it is with most software.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »

The stable version of MC is currently 19.0.146. Anything newer may or may not have bugs. That's just the way it is with most software.

Yes, I understand that. However, when I finally downloaded version 19, I was not taken to the stable version. I was taken to another version. Foolish me, I actually expected that when I downloaded a new version, I would get the stable one.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »

Yes, I understand that. However, when I finally downloaded version 19, I was not taken to the stable version. I was taken to another version. Foolish me, I actually expected that when I downloaded a new version, I would get the stable one.

http://www.jriver.com/download.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up