INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reverse grouping order? (Album by date)  (Read 2677 times)

Bort

• "Homer no function beer well without."
Reverse grouping order? (Album by date)
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »

Hello. I was wondering if there is any way to reverse the date order in group album by date?

When I group just by Album, it uses the artist and so I end up bouncing around by years.

When I group by Album by date, it begins with the most recent date, and I would like to begin with the oldest.

Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reverse grouping order? (Album by date)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »

Group By → More (sort groups z-a) → Year-Album

Bort

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:10:36 pm »

Thanks, this is close but still not what I am looking for, as dates still bounce around within the year (March coming before January). I believe it is using the Artist to sort within the year.

Album by year is the exact order I want, it's just the in wrong direction, beginning with newst release dates first.

I will note that I do prefer the grouping titles of grouping by Album, and they do go in the correct date direction (oldest first), it's just that they are sorted by artist first, which causes the years to be out of order.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

maybe if you send a screen shot we can see what you're looking for...i have a hunch its the same thing i been wanting to do and have not achieved it as yet....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »

Without more information it is difficult to say what would solve your issue.
However, you can create custom fields and use those for grouping/sorting.

Tools → Options → Library & Folders → Manage Library Fields → Add New Field → Calculated Data

Fields can be "hidden" by wrapping them in HTML tags:
Code: [Select]
<font size="10" alpha="0" color="ffffff"> [Hidden Field] <//font>
Using Expressions you should be able to group and sort by whichever way you want things to appear.

Bort

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »

OK here goes...

When grouping by Album, I like the group naming scheme, and they are in generally the right date order, but the groups go by Artist first, so the dates end up out of overall order [October 1992 coming before August 1997]:

Reversing the sort inside groups direction has no effect:

Grouping by Album by Year begins with the newest release date first as well as changing the group title format:

Reversing the sort inside groups direction has no effect:

But it does provide the groups in the correct overall year order [January 1990 before March 1990]:

Finally, using the suggested grouping of Year - Album, results in the dates again mixing [March 1990 before January 1990], as well as the least desireable group title format:

I hope this helps  and thanks again!

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »

I hope someone can help you resolve that. here is what i been trying to change, the white circle shows the oldest album first, what i want is to have it show the newest album first and then go progressively down in year.....for exmple there are ten albums listed for this band

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »

OK here goes...
When grouping by Album, I like the group naming scheme, and they are in generally the right date order, but the groups go by Artist first, so the dates end up out of overall order [October 1992 coming before August 1997]: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/AlbumOnlydateUP.jpg
Reversing the sort inside groups direction has no effect: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/AlbumOnlydateDOWN.jpg
Grouping by Album by Year begins with the newest release date first as well as changing the group title format: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/AlbumbyYeardateUP.jpg
Reversing the sort inside groups direction has no effect: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/AlbumbyYeardateDOWN.jpg
But it does provide the groups in the correct overall year order [January 1990 before March 1990]: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/AlbumbyYearcorrectdatesonbottom.jpg
Finally, using the suggested grouping of Year - Album, results in the dates again mixing [March 1990 before January 1990], as well as the least desireable group title format: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/theduude/OtherSortbyYearAlbumdatesBAD.jpg
I hope this helps  and thanks again!

Follow my instructions above, and try using this expression for the custom field:
Delimit(FormatDate([Date,0], yyyyMMdd,),<//font>,<font size="10" color="161616" alpha="0"> )Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album]Delimit([Album Artist (auto)],,/ by/ )
Now group by the new field.
Does this group & sort in the correct order?

There are some limitations to using custom fields right now, unfortunately. The default Album field is a "special" field which is why the year can be placed off to the right for example. It's not possible to do something like that with a custom field.

I hope someone can help you resolve that. here is what i been trying to change, the white circle shows the oldest album first, what i want is to have it show the newest album first and then go progressively down in year.....for exmple there are ten albums listed for this band
As above, with a slight change to the expression:
Delimit(Math(FormatDate([Date,0], yyyyMMdd,)-99990000),<//font>,<font size="10" color="49412a" alpha="0"> )Delimit([Year],/]/ ,/[)[Album]Delimit([Album Artist (auto)],,/ by/ )

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »

Thanks 6233638 but thats not what im shooting for, what im looking to do is when ur in a panes view (i have one modified to show the 'ALL CD COUNT' with the help from MrC) and click an artist toward the bottom of MC another window or what and lists all the albums you have from said band by oldest first, i would like to see it by newest first....maybe this is not possible...i have a pc with MC that i use to change and test stuff and trust me it is so messed up it's not even funny to me anymore....i will just keep on messing it up till i get it...lol...once again thanks for your time

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »

Thanks 6233638 but thats not what im shooting for, what im looking to do is when ur in a panes view (i have one modified to show the 'ALL CD COUNT' with the help from MrC) and click an artist toward the bottom of MC another window or what and lists all the albums you have from said band by oldest first, i would like to see it by newest first....maybe this is not possible...i have a pc with MC that i use to change and test stuff and trust me it is so messed up it's not even funny to me anymore....i will just keep on messing it up till i get it...lol...once again thanks for your time
Did you create a custom field using the expression I posted and group the items in that view by it? (note: use A-Z sorting, since the expression reverses the date order)

~OHM~

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »

well i thought that's what i did, and what i ended up with was another column next to the panes view with the dates of the album like this (2014) bla bla...i will give it another go tomorrow as my brain is fried...thanks again

Bort

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »

Thanks 62...! That is exactly what I wanted. It also kept my preferred group title format and added the year as well!

I guess TAO is still having issues but mine has been solved 100%

Thanks so much!  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up