INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as an external player for MyMovies  (Read 4178 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
JRiver as an external player for MyMovies
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:12:29 am »

Hi There,

I'm really struggling to get this to work.

Ideally I'd like to use JRiver as an external player for MyMovies 5.

The documented method of using mc19.exe doesn't seem work, and the undocumented MC Playclose utility (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66082.0) which worked until MC17 doesn't really work any more with MC19. It does play the file/folder/disc but it doesn't go back to MyMovies when pressing the back button on the remote, it simply goes back to standard view.

I've created a command file (.bat launched by a /vbs to make sure we can't see the dos command window) to close MC and go back to MyMovies, and I assigned this to a command in MCE controller that I can map to iRule, but sometimes MyMovies doesn't get the focus back for a few seconds, which isn't ideal as it looks like the remote/iRule isn't responsive.

I'd like to know if anyone managed to get MC19 to integrate properly with MyMovies, and if not please could I get some help from the team to get this to work?

Many thanks in advance!

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRiver as an external player for MyMovies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:35:26 am »

I managed to assign an exit command to the backspace key on the keyboard using the data/custom resources/resources.xml. That works fine and allows me to start a movie from MyMovies using MCPlayclose, and go back to MyMovies/MCE when I press backspace on the keyboard.

How can I do the same with the MCE remote, so that when I press back on the MCE remote it sends an exit (20007,2) command?
When I try to edit the command for the back key in the remote control options, exit isn't a possible choice.
I tried to assign shutdown to the back key, but it doesn't have any effect and back still reverts to standard view.

Thanks

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:10:57 am »

I managed to assign an exit command to the backspace key on the keyboard using the data/custom resources/resources.xml. That works fine and allows me to start a movie from MyMovies using MCPlayclose, and go back to MyMovies/MCE when I press backspace on the keyboard.

How can I do the same with the MCE remote, so that when I press back on the MCE remote it sends an exit (20007,2) command?
When I try to edit the command for the back key in the remote control options, exit isn't a possible choice.

Thanks

Put the command     MC19.exe /MCC 20007,2     into a custom remote command under Tools-->Options-->Remote Control-->Commands-->Add-->custom-->Add Run
And then "learn" the key from your remote for that command.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:25:24 am »

Thanks, I was just in the process of trying that :)

Unfortunately when MC displays "learning" and I press the back key on the MCE remote, it has no effect.

Of course the MCE remote is selected in options, and it works fine otherwise to control MC. It's the original MS MCE remote.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:37:37 am »

I can assign some of the keys to the new command (for example info/more or dvd menu is learnt), but not back.

I tried to delete the command assigned to back to free it, but still it looks like back is locked and can't be learnt.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:13:59 am »

OK, the whole thing is very buggy.

Most of the keys on the remote are still active during the learning process, so can't be learnt.

For example, if you press arrow up, instead of learning the code it moves the learning line up one line.

Most of the keys are like that: red, green, yellow, blue keys, arrow keys, recorded TV, Guide and Live TV launch MCE etc.

The only keys that can be learnt safely are I (More) and DVD Menu.

I tried to delete the back command from the list of default commands, it still can't be learnt.

I also tried to add a run command to the list of commands for back, but it only does the default back, it doesn't run the custom run command, either afterwards or if I leave it as the only command.

Also, I've done some tests and I've assigned the custom exit command (run MC19.exe /MCC 20007,2) and while it does work, it takes up to 10 seconds for MC to close when you do it that way.

It's almost instant when using the backspace key on the keyboard to which the same command (20007,2) has been assigned in data/custom resources/resources.xlm.

Any chance to see this fixed?

Thanks.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

To learn some of those buttons, I think you might need to go to Options | Remote Control | Devices & Options and also enable "Remote, Keyboard, or other HID" (the second option).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:09:56 pm »

Thanks a lot, that did make it possible to assign the custom exit command for the back key.

However, despite having deleted the default back command to avoid any conflict, MC reverts to standard view when I press back on the MCE remote, and then exits. It does take at least 5-10 seconds before MCE/MyMovies is brought back into focus, so it's still a bit clunky. I'm not sure why it takes so long for MC to exit when the exit command comes from the MCE remote instead of the keyboard.

Also while the MCE remote works, I can't use iRule which sends vk codes to MCE controller. It works fine with MCE (I can use the MCE remote or iRule to control MCE), but not with MC (only the physical MCE remote is detected, not the MCE VK codes sent by iRule to MCE controler.

We're getting there though :)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:46 am »

Maybe try to assign the exit command to the "Stop" button instead to see if it avoids going back to Standard view?  You could also try changing the Startup View to Display View to see if it makes a difference.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:52 am »

Maybe try to assign the exit command to the "Stop" button instead to see if it avoids going back to Standard view?  You could also try changing the Startup View to Display View to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks, I'll try the stop button, that's a good idea.

I've already set the startup view to display view to make sure the movie starts properly.

Any idea why MC might take so long to exit and give focus back?

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »

Ok, I found the solution for the MCE remote. I just disabled the MCE remote option in MC entirely, and I learnt all the keys with only the IR/HID option enabled. That way I was able to assign whatever I wanted to back or stop without getting a double action. That way the MCE remote works as expected, although it does take quite a few seconds before I get the focus back in MCE/MyMovies.

Unfortunately when I launch MC as an external player, the iRule commands sent through MCE controller are ignored.

It's weird because if I launch MC by itself, but the MCE remote and the iRule commands are accepted.
But if I launch it as an external player, only the MCE remote works.

Looks like I've gone as far as the software can go, which is a bit frustrating.

The external player feature really needs to be improved. I also don't understand why I have to use MCPlayClose and why there isn't a better interface between MyMovies and JRiver (as an external player). It should be much smoother and the MCE integration should work better out of the box.

Unless we find a solution for the iRule issue, I have to revert to MPC-BE for now when using MyMovies as the integration of JRiver is too clunky.

Shame as the interface of the MC player is better, it's just launching it and leaving it which is too unpredictable (I occasionally get an error sound when I go back to MCE, it takes too long for MC to give the focus back, I don't always get the focus back or the player doesn't always get the focus).

It would be great if the JRiver team and the MyMovies team could work together to improve this integration.

Thanks to all those who have helped, much appreciated.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:23:41 pm »

I'm not sure what iRule commands are but why can't you reproduce them in the MC remote commands learning like you did for the basic MCE remote buttons?  Also, what is MCPlayCLose? It should be easy to play a file from the command line with the /Replace switch.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:10 pm »

iRule (http://www.iruleathome.com/)is a remote control system using the iPad/iPhone and LAN/IR commands to control various devices (AVRs, displays, bluray players, HTPCs, lights, etc). In this case, I use iRule to send LAN commands to MCE controller which is a utility that receives such commands by LAN and sends the equivalent VK codes to MCE. That way, I can control MCE and all the related software (MyMovies, TMT, MPC-BE) using either the physical MCE remote or my iPad/iPhone etc.

What's really weird is that iRule/MCE controller is able to control MCE, Arcsoft TMT, MPC-HC or MPC-BE, MC19 if launched on its own.

But as soon as MC19 is launched as an external program, the MCE remote works but not iRule/MCE controller.

I have tried every possible way to get MC19.exe to work with MyMovies but it simply doesn't. The only way MyMovies can launch MC19 as an external player is by using the MCplayclose utility which converts MyMovies parameter into something that works for MC19.exe.

Here is the link: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66082.0

In anycase, I tried to use MC19.exe to launch a file using /Replace or /Play or /PlayReplace and while it works if it's on a local disc, it takes ages to launch the movie, and ages to close.

So I'm just giving up. MC works great as a standalone software but until the development teams of JRiver and MyMovies get them to integrate better, I don't see how this can work in a reliable, seamless way.

MPC-BE launches and closes instantly when launched as an external player from MyMovies, and as I've programmed the keys and the remote is works perfectly with both the MCE remote and iRule. The integration is seamless which is what I'm after. The only thing that JRiver does better is direct access to the titles in a bluray and support for vobsubs in HDDVDs, and a nicer interface. I'll have to live with these limitations until the integration with MyMovies is improved.

Thanks again for all your help.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »

I use iRule too. For MC, though, I use MCWS system.
See: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Web_Service_Interface

This works really well in iRule. You can grab the urls for any command and program that into iRule.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 01:53:38 am »

Are you using JRiver as an external player for MyMovies?

If I use JRiver on its own, iRule+MCE controler works fine. It's only when running it as an external player from mymovies that iRule+mce controller stops working.

I don't really want to use a different system when using MC, because for the rest of the family it should make no difference whether TMT is launched (for 3d blurays or titles where I need to be able to access the full bd menu) or MC. If they have to know which program is launched to switch to the right page in iRule to control it, it will never happen.

Right now the same page in iRule controls MCE, TMT, MPC-BE and MyMovies. That's the way I want to keep it.

Apart from that MC integration is simply too clunky when it's launched as an external player. Too slow, unstable, unreliable. It's simply not usable.

Please try it and let me know how you do it well from MyMovies (including launch method), or convince the team to work with Brian at MyMovies to improve integration.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 08:22:39 pm »

All I can suggest is a workaround:
Have two play buttons in he MyMovies controls for iRule. One for 3D/BluRay that works with TMT, and a second for other material that links to an identical screen, but with the buttons mapped to MCWS controls.

MC works just fine for me for organising all my videos, so I am afraid that I have no interest in trying MyMovies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up