INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old School Audiophile needs help upgrading to computer based A/V! Some help plz!  (Read 2235 times)

ZebH1994

Hey guys, I have a few basic questions that I need to figure out before I jump head first into this computer based audio/video stuff, so hopefully you guys can help!

Right now I have a simple, dedicated room for my 5.2 home theater setup that I use for movies, and a separate  2.1 setup that I use for music in my den. I have been into audio/video for many years, and am fairly well versed in this topic, but I know very little about computer stuff, especially when it comes to the JRiver, streaming, computer based audio stuff. If someone could please help me figure out how to implement the following "requirements" that I would like to have via JRiver running on my slightly used Windows 7 desk top that will be connected, somehow, to my receiver. Keep in mind I know very little about computers, so please be gentle! I would be so appreciative if you guys could help me implement the following:

My initial goals for this project are to:
1. Be able to get music playback from the files on my NAS, to the speakers in my 2.1 setup in my den. Sound quality and keeping the integrity of the original recordings is extremely important to me. I want to not only be able to play iTunes, random downloads in MP3 formats, but also, most importantly, my high res 24/192 downloads from HDTracks in their native lossless formats with the most absolute care taken to prevent the degrading of the sound quality. It would be nice to actually stream these music files and figure out some way to get rid of the separate receiver that I currently am using as a pre-amp connected directly to my amp and CD player, and instead, use JRiver as the pre-amp and source! I also need to be able to access these music files on my 5.2 setup in the dedicated theater room. How can these goals be accomplished?

2. My next and equally important requirement (I am a sound quality nut and always want the best possible sound quality that I have available!)is that I am able to play both BluRay & DVD disk, and be able to play BluRay and DVD downloads or rips from my personal collection that I am getting ready to digitize onto a NAS. Having the ability to play back the native, lossless DDTrueHD and DTS-MA sound codecs is the single most important aspect of my requirements!  I am not sure if it is possible to download BluRay quality movies, but if so, I want to be able to play them back losslessly. Until then I want to be able to play back my stored DVD and BluRay collection in their native sound quality. I will also be using NetFlix from time to time, so being able to play them in their DD 5.1 sound codec is also important!

3. I also want to be able to watch my downloaded/ripped movies on my 2.1 music setup in the den as there may be some nights that we want to watch a quick movie without firing up the big theater room!

4. Conversely, I want to also have the ability to listen to the music that is stored on my NAS in the theater room. Although here in the theater room I would still want the ability to listen to the high res tracks on the 5.2 setup.

5.  I want the ability to have JRiver's room correction, EQ, and DSP capabilities too, although, I will need some advice on how to make it work. Eventually I would like to replace my aging receiver with an HTPC, but, I am on a budget at this time and building an HTPC that is capable of connecting directly with my amps would likely go over my $300 to $500 budget at this time.

So to all of my fellow Audio/ Video nuts, and to you computer geeks, how can I implement the above goals for a nice computer based 5.2 surround sound & 2.1 music setup? (Keep in mind that I am new to computer based stuff, so please keep the repays in laymen's terms whenever possible!) Also. Thanks in advanced to anyone that is willing to help me out on this!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

A) Firstly, thanks and congratulations for a well-written and thought out post detailing your set-up and goals! This will make it easier for us to help you.

B) The good news is that I believe ALL of your goals are achievable.

C) There are no free, legit ways of downloading full BluRay quality audio and video for commercial movies, but MC will play lossless sound from BluRay sources.

D) Now to address (briefly) your requirements:

1. You can do this. You can store all your files on the NAS, and then use a PC somewhere in the house to access and distribute music and video to any other zone. Music can be transmitted wirelessly and losslessly. Video is best done through wired connections though. If you're willing to spend a little on hardware, you could get rid of your receiver. If your computer is near the amp and CD player, you don't need any hardware to do this. You can use MC as the pre-amp. With a (HT)PC in the theatre room, you can play all your audio and video files from the NAS there too. You can even invest in a sub $100 device to do this if you don't want to have another PC in the place.

2. This is absolutely possible, losslessly. In order to decode DTS-HD MA, you do need an additional .dll file (dtsdecoderdll.dll) from Arcsoft, but we can help you get everything set up when you're ready, including details of how one gets that file for use in MC.

3. Yes, possible, as extrapolations from the above. It would be bets to have a Cat6 network in the house though.

4. - 5. You can build some $300 PCs, or even buy much cheaper with used material. As an audiophile, you would be better off spending the money on USB DACs or great sound cards than unnecessarily powerful PCs. I think for $500 you could do everything you want. Maybe with one PC with a good multi-channel sound card and one cheap used PC with a DAC like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00882U782?

ZebH1994

Thanks for the reply FitBrit! Yes, I am willing to spend the $500 or so on hardware in order to accomplish my goals. Can you dive in and explain a little more on how I am to go about actually implementing these things and get started?

ths61

• World Citizen

ZebH1994,

FWIW, BluRay's can support high-rez 24-bit/192 kHz audio, but unfortunately very few do. 

You will have to look for audiophile labels like 2L's Nordic Sound (www.2l.no; no affiliation with them). 

I was disappointed to discover the industry was not utilizing the BluRay format to its fullest.

If you are looking for HiRez audio content, you may need to seek other sources than BluRay.

On the bright side, when you have the content, J River Media Center can play it !!!

HTH
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Can you detail what equipment you have currently?

1) Describe your 5.2 system. Are you using an AV receiver there? Is it HDMI capable?

2) I assume you have a PC running MC 19 somewhere in the house. Is it in either the den or the home theatre?

3) Where is the NAS located?

4) Do you have any wired home network? If so, is it gigabit, and do you have connections in the home theatre, the den and wherever your current PC is?

spiggytopes

• World Citizen

I think it is worth researching and allocating a significant sum for the external DAC,

If you choose a budget one I think you will be disappointed.

I went through two until I found the Chord QuteHD .......

Vincent Kars

Ad 1,5

JRiver has a tremendous amount of DSP options. Be it straight volume control or building active crossover. But it is software. The “amp” will be the onboard audio of your PC or an external DAC/pre-amp.
Personally I don’t think onboard audio sounds good.
Anyway, a $5 Y-cable (headphone out > 2x RCA) will tell you if you like the mobo audio.
An alternative is a DAC/pre-amp with USB input.
If you are on a budget have a look here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Portable.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up