INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS recommendation for MC  (Read 1849 times)

pit42

NAS recommendation for MC
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:04:55 am »

Hi Forum

I want to store my music collection on a NAS System (Linux, Raid 1). By using a music player (Android) to access my music collection (via MediaServer) and start streaming on a separate streamer/player (like NAIM or Linn).

In this context I would like to ask you following questions.

1) Which NAS (Linux) system (Vendor/Type) could you recommend for running  „JRiver Media Center“ in a optimal way ?
2) There are some (Linux-) packages available for easy installation on that NAS ?
3) Which music player (Android on tablet) do you recommend for optimal interaction with NAS-„JRiver Media Center“ ?
4) Is there a JRiver music player  under Android (on tablet) available ?

It would be very helpful for me to get some information about my question from you.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NAS recommendation for MC
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:00:14 am »

1) There is no JRiver MediaCenter NAS package and although I made an attempt to get it running on a Synology NAS, it has never run. It may be possible but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

2) No, see above.

3) Gizmo or Eos, but you need a PC running MediaCenter as server.

4) See 3. As far as I am aware, they don't play local files, they only interact with MC mediaserver.

So basically, you can store music files on a NAS (any NAS will do) and use a PC with MC to share your library over the network. MC will provide an access key for your clients to easily configure and access the shared library.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:55 am »

You could use a linux based NAS (e.g. unraid ) that is able to act as a hypervisor and then run a Windows or Linux vm with jriver media centre installed on it.

pit42

Re: NAS recommendation for MC
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:58 am »

1) There is no JRiver MediaCenter NAS package and although I made an attempt to get it running on a Synology NAS, it has never run. It may be possible but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

2) No, see above.

3) Gizmo or Eos, but you need a PC running MediaCenter as server.

4) See 3. As far as I am aware, they don't play local files, they only interact with MC mediaserver.

So basically, you can store music files on a NAS (any NAS will do) and use a PC with MC to share your library over the network. MC will provide an access key for your clients to easily configure and access the shared library.

Thanks for your information.
that's what I was afraid of.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up