INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Cover Art when converting to Apple Lossless  (Read 2917 times)

Robert Joe

• Junior Woodchuck
No Cover Art when converting to Apple Lossless
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:46:25 am »

JRiver Linux - I am using the exact options for the "handheld folder" as in JRiver Windows 19. That is "add cover art to tags" and "copy Folder.jpg"

The Windows produced file when imported into iTunes show Cover Art. But not with Linux.

Strange?
I thought it would be the exact same code base?

Perhaps a bug with case sensitivity folder.jpg vs Folder.jpg? I have not tried renaming it to lowercase, got to leave for work now...

Robert Joe

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: No Cover Art when converting to Apple Lossless
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:39 am »

I did a quick test by copying a couple of FLAC files to a temp directory. I forgot to rename Folder.jgp to all lowercase for the test. But the conversion worked with the Cover Art visible in iTunes. The only difference is this temp directory is writable whereas my Music one is read-only. I will test again tonight to see if that is why.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:35:33 am »

I did a quick test by copying a couple of FLAC files to a temp directory. I forgot to rename Folder.jpg to all lowercase for the test. But the conversion worked with the Cover Art visible in iTunes. The only difference is this temp directory is writable whereas my Music one is read-only. I will test again tonight to see if that is why.

It does look to be case sensitive.
We are looking for all lowercase including the extension.
Folder.jpg and folder.jpg and FOLDER.JPG and Folder.JPG and FOLDer.jPg etc etc
are all unique files on nearly all linux filesystems.
I suppose it might be possible to look for the more common variations.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:38:58 am »

The thinking around here is that we should always use the capitalized form going forward.
I.E Folder.jpg Cover.jpg Front.jpg.

Comments?

Robert Joe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25:01 am »

Mine is Folder.jpg (Only uppercase F) and it works so don't break that one :)
I think you should just compare case insensitive using strcasecmp().

I did some testing and finally after two hours, here is the bug believe it or not.

Folder.jpg must have WRITE access e.g. chmod 644 Folder.jpg

If Folder.jpg is read-only, it copies the Folder.jpg over to the destination fine with WRITE access on the copy but the .m4a file imported into iTunes will not display Album Art.

This is reproducible - chmod 444 Folder.jpg then sync/convert breaks it; chmod 644 Folder.jpg then sync/convert it works.

I suspect you are opening Folder.jpg with O_RDWR even though you do not need it. Make it O_RDONLY flag.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:44 am »

Mine is Folder.jpg (Only uppercase F) and it works so don't break that one :)
I think you should just compare case insensitive using strcasecmp().

I did some testing and finally after two hours, here is the bug believe it or not.

Folder.jpg must have WRITE access e.g. chmod 644 Folder.jpg

If Folder.jpg is read-only, it copies the Folder.jpg over to the destination fine with WRITE access on the copy but the .m4a file imported into iTunes will not display Album Art.

This is reproducible - chmod 444 Folder.jpg then sync/convert breaks it; chmod 644 Folder.jpg then sync/convert it works.

I suspect you are opening Folder.jpg with O_RDWR even though you do not need it. Make it O_RDONLY flag.

Thanks, will check the access mode.
There isn't a filename case independent file open mode on linux (that I'm aware of anyway) so if you really wanted to work like windows/mac you'd have to try opening all combinations of case for every letter in the filename and still you'd end up with the possibility of 2 files coexisting in the same folder, ie Folder.jpg and folder.jpg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up